Behringer DEQ 2496 bit the dust - SOLD

greg928gts

My Behringer DEQ 2496, four years old, developed a problem a few days ago. I came into the shop and it was turning itself on and off and on and off etc... I normally keep it powered up all the time and just turn the amps off. I turned it off and about an hour later turned it back on again, and it was fine for about a minute and then started the power on off cycle again.

Power supply?

Greg

I wonder if this is a Maine saying - My EQ sh*t the bed. Anyone?

If you can check and confirm it is the power supply, I may be able to help you out. I converted a Behringer DCX-2496 to 12 volt operation with a kit from Envision Electronics. Therefore, I have the OEM switching power supply out of mine, it is the same for both models.

Envision stated that there is an extension cable needed for their 12 volt conversion kit if used in the DEQ, so at worst case you may be required to desolder and solder on a longer cable.

A new DEQ is fairly pricey... but if you can find out if the power supply is the culprit, I can get you back going without much $ outlay.

If you can check and confirm it is the power supply, I may be able to help you out. I converted a Behringer DCX-2496 to 12 volt operation with a kit from Envision Electronics. Therefore, I have the OEM switching power supply out of mine, it is the same for both models.

Envision stated that there is an extension cable needed for their 12 volt conversion kit if used in the DEQ, so at worst case you may be required to desolder and solder on a longer cable.

A new DEQ is fairly pricey... but if you can find out if the power supply is the culprit, I can get you back going without much $ outlay.

Thank you for that offer.

I contacted a Behringer repair place nearby to me and he guessed it was the power supply by my description. He's supposed to get in touch with Behringer to find out if the whole power supply can be replaced, and how much the parts are. But shipping two ways, parts, and labor is going to be pricey, compared to a new B-stock unit at $219.

I can handle replacing the parts, it's the diagnosing that I would have trouble with.

Greg

This is why even though the Behringer Crossovers have the features I am after for a great price, I have not and probably won't purchase any more of their products.

When they are working they work quite well, but when they fail, it is always in a big way and geting even 5 years out of any of their stuff, even with light and lovin' use, I have yet to acheive.

Of course the price is often good enough to buy two(one back-up) for less than whatever design/model they are "borrowing", but I would rather go with used and quality, over new and disposable these days.

When repairs cost more or close to the used price of the same unit, that tells me they are designed to fail.

Try a reset! I had a problem with mine, the RTA display was FUBAR - a reset fixed it. You'll lose anything you've stored, but it's FREE to try!

Hold down COMPARE and MEMORY while you power it up, then confirm by pressing OK.

Good luck!

Steve

I'll try that.

I talked to a repair tech friend of mine on the phone today, and for five solid minutes he lectured me on how the parts used inside Behringer products are the world's worst quality. He said they used to be well built years ago, but not anymore.

Greg

I talked to a repair tech friend of mine on the phone today, and for five solid minutes he lectured me on how the parts used inside Behringer products are the world's worst quality

Not to sound disrespectful to anyone but...

Couple months ago, when I bought the three Dx38's off ebay, they needed a new display so I sent them to EV for fixing. Prior to me sending them directly to EV myself, I was talking to an authorized EV service center. (who was simply going to send them to the EV factory center in Arkansas instead of doing the work himself....so I sent them directly instead).

Although he did not say Behringer was the worlds worst quality, he did come down pretty hard on them as well as the dbx series of actives.

I talked to a repair tech friend of mine on the phone today, and for five solid minutes he lectured me on how the parts used inside Behringer products are the world's worst quality

Not to sound disrespectful to anyone but...

Couple months ago, when I bought the three Dx38's off ebay, they needed a new display so I sent them to EV for fixing. Prior to me sending them directly to EV myself, I was talking to an authorized EV service center. (who was simply going to send them to the EV factory center in Arkansas instead of doing the work himself....so I sent them directly instead).

Although he did not say Behringer was the worlds worst quality, he did come down pretty hard on them as well as the dbx series of actives.

I think when folks buy Behringer they have their eyes open regarding the quality. In all fairness you are comparing a unit (EV) that retails for about 10 times the cost of the Behringer. Regarding the major parts, I am not sure the Behringer is the "worst". The DACs are decent ones from AKM, the DSP is a SHARC processor etc. The Behringers are a great candidate for DIY-modding.

Personally, I bought two (one to use and one to keep as a backup - since they are so inexpensive). You will get the best out of them by avoiding the ADC and just use the digital input (I gave up vinyl years ago) and spending a little money on some transformers to replace the analog output section. I am curious about what is involved to beef up the power supply (which is usually the weak link in "inexpensive" equipment).

Gregg,

If you cannot get your running drop me an email. Don't buy a B Stock unit. I have a DEQ2496 that I bought new with the mic and cable and it has been sitting for years. I'll make you a deal on it if Mike's offer for the power supply does not work out.

Thank you!

I tried the reset but it didn't make any difference.

Greg

Greg, no wonder you don't like equalizers. I didn't know you were using Behringer products......and digital to boot. Ick!

LOL. If I listed all the EQ's I've tried over the years, it would be a long list. As always seems to be the case with other systems, my MCM system actually sounds better without the EQ in the system. It's not as well balanced overall, and the bass is not being controlled as well as it was before the Behringer sh*t the bed, but it's so obvious to me how op-amps suck the life out of the music.

Greg

Guest David H

so obvious to me how op-amps suck the life out of the music.

Gut the op amps, makes a huge difference. this mod takes the signal right off the DAC.

I believe Preston Tom did a similar mod using transformers instead of capacitors.

post-24405-13819512893914_thumb.jpg

Very cool mod Dave. I'm thinking about how I would feel right now if I'd taken the time to do that mod on the unit that just sh*t the bed. I guess the parts could come out and go into the replacement.

The other thing is, how many two-cent parts are still left inside that box that my signal is going through?

People often mistake my dislike for EQ's as being a dislike of the EQ process, which is not true. I understand exactly what the tool does and how it can benefit a system. I just choose - in my main living room system where I do the most serious music listening - to keep things very simple, with the highest quality signal path I can afford. Same goes for active crossover systems.

Greg

Guest David H

The other thing is, how many two-cent parts are still left inside that box that my signal is going through?

I am sure the a plenty of $.02 parts left, however they are no longer post DAC, and if the digital input is used, no longer in the signal path. I am still using the analog input because I do not have a six channel volume attenuator, and I still love vinyl.

JC reccomended the Ashley XR4001, it is all analog and also sounds great. I had the oportunity to use the ashley in my system and could not tell the difference from the moded Behringer. Then again I could not instantly switch back and fourth. I prefer the behringer for its ability to store multiple settings, but assume the Ashley is better used analog like I am.

I took a chance and purchased a SRC2496, to use as a DAC. My Rega Planet still sounds good, but the laser light is about shot. The unit has a annoying tick, tick, tick while playing.

I have a couple more CDP's to use as transports, and a Panasonic RP56 DVD player. I have a late '80's Pioneer single disc player that doesn't sound as good as the Rega, but it's transport is built like a truck. It cues up fast, tracks between selections quick, and is quiet. Hopefully, the Ultrapath SRC2496 used as a DAC will make a improvement over using the current CDP's I'm using now.

The SRC2496 uses the same DAC chip as the DEQ2496, from what I gather, AKM AK4393?