Toeing in or flat on

seagull

• Moderators

LaScala ll, good choice, I love the way the 1" thick wood looks and they sound even better.

I would say it depends on your room and how far back you sit, try both. When you try them toed in, first line them up crossing right in front your seating position and slowly move them to where they cross behind you, you will hear a difference with every little angle, find what you like.

LaScala ll, good choice, I love the way the 1" thick wood looks and they sound even better.

I would say it depends on your room and how far back you sit, try both. When you try them toed in, first line them up crossing right in front your seating position and slowly move them to where they cross behind you, you will hear a difference with every little angle, find what you like.

This is good advise by dtel. Definitely I think toed in is better and this would be a good way to find how much toe in to use.

To help me find the sweet spot for toe in this is my procedure. I first set my listening position half way between the speakers as measured by a tape measure. Then I measure how far the back corners of the speakers are from the rear wall with a tape measure. I start even with the rear wall, and move the far left and right corners equal distances, at each position write a short comment. I would get fustrated doing it from memory and is difficult to get each speaker toed in the same amount by eye. This way the proper toe in is determed much quickly and accurately. My cornscalas also ended up toed in for a listening position just behind my listening position. Hey, I'm an analytical chemist, I how else can I adjust some thing with out measuring it?

Measurement is the basis of all knowledge. - Lord Kelvin

A neat trick is to use a laser pointer when adjusting toe in .

A laser pointer or, even better, a laser level, is much easier and quicker than running back and forth with a tape measure.

When I set up my La Scalas in their present positions, I found they sounded best aimed directly at the listening position (they're 12.5 feet/4.5m apart and 13 feet/4.7m from the listening position) and about 6 inches/15cm from the front wall, measured to the nearest rear corner of the speaker cabinet. If they were closer to the wall, the bass response was a bit uneven, but if they were further away (out to 1 foot/30cm), there was no improvement and they took up more floor space.

As another poster mentioned, varying the amount of toe-in will change the width of the sweet spot, so experiment a bit and see what works best for you in your room. If speakers are aimed directly at you, you'll get the most treble response. If they sound too bright, reduce the toe-in.