Recommended Turntables

o0O Bill O0o

I want a turntable.

Okay, I don't know much about turntables since they were used before my time.. I hit the late 80s with tapes and then in 1991 I got my first sony "Discman".. from there it was CD player, DVD player, then iPod.. go ahead laugh it up..

BUUUT looking at this thread, man would I like to listen to some records on one of those turntables.. BUT BUT I don't think these are the "cheap ones" just from my years and my generations accute ability to surf the web for all things audio.

I have seen companies such as Music Hall Audio, Rega, Technics, and Sony that sell Turntables that look okay.. how to they sound? what would be a reasonable sub $1000 Turntable?

Should I just got to Guitar Center and get a pro audio one?

Thanks,

Bill

This seems to be a reasonable discussion on that topic:

eBay Guides - Turntables What should you buy

After reading this, I invested in an Empire 398 (on eBay, no less). This is the quietest turntable that I've personally heard, even though it was produced in 1961-63, and it was much less than $1K (US) to acquire in 2009. I listen to classical records that I acquired in the late 70s through the mid 80s. This includes Philips, DG, and other "audiophile" labels and pressings. The results: I now listen to my old records, whereas before the Empire 398, I had archived them for future date of listening.

I think more $ for a turntable means "eye candy"...

Chris

You can look at Rega, Pro-Ject and Music Hall all have models that are under $1000.

I purchased a used Thorens 160 from a member here and after purchasing a Shure M97xE cart and new belt I still spent under $250 for it. It has served me well and continues to. I just need to spend more time listening to vinyl as I do find it more relaxing then anything, plus listening thru Cornwalls help also..

James

I have a friend that has a Technics SL1700 (essentially the same as an SL1200) that is very nice, Denon DL160 cart with very low hours and a NAD PP1 Phono preamp for sale. He is selling all for $250 + shipping. This is a very good deal if you want to try vinyl.

The TT is excellent and will outlive all of us, cart is also very good at surpressing record noise. I attached some photos.

post-10861-13819524419274_thumb.jpg

Very nice, However I am not going to move on this untill next fall, I am just "Data mining" for what is what, since I am a total greenhorn to the whole LP/ Vinyl media.

I do understand that each componet can be sweated over, and the Phono cartridge is very important, but the maintenance and other care is unknown to me. Is there a Hitchhikers Guide to Vinyl out there?

Thanks,

Bill

You'll kick yourself for missing such a good deal. You can do better in vinyl, but it will cost you wayyyy more. That gives you that 95% for a song.

I didn't want to say it, but yes, you are correct. He paid about $180 for the cart alone and it is barely used. This was quite a deal, I almost bought it myself but I do not need a third table.

You'll kick yourself for missing such a good deal. You can do better in vinyl, but it will cost you wayyyy more. That gives you that 95% for a song.

I didn't want to say it, but yes, you are correct. He paid about $180 for the cart alone and it is barely used. This was quite a deal, I almost bought it myself but I do not need a third table.

If I didn't already have mine, I would be all over it. You can't make a mistake jumping on this now, even if you change your mind later, you'll lose nothing.

If one has no experience with TT's, I would recommend the Technics SL-1200, etc. Reason? Very reliable, good quality and one can later look at the more "high end" stuff.

That's why I choose it. Built like a tank and at the time, I didn't know what I didn't know. I have no regrets over the decision on the table or the cartridge.

Guest davidness

I would recommend the Technics SL-1200

Now that this morning's eBay auction is over, I'll share my latest acquision. I just bought this today. Now, I realize that none of us would EVER spend more money on a piece of gear just because of the 'bling' factor ;-), but I chose a SL-1200 series turntable because 1) they're built to last forever, 2) parts are, and always will be, readily available, 3) the model I got will (should) hold it's value pretty well, and... 4) daammmmd, it looks good (bling, bling)!

I present the Technics SL-1200GLD. They can be had for under $1K. They only made 3000 worldwide, and only 1500 of those were US bound.

post-38614-13819524660484_thumb.jpg

Hello everyone, I am normally found in the RIGHT NOW section. But, I too just got BACK into a turntable. I have NOT played any LPs since 1986 when I bought my first CD player. However, just this past October, I picked up a new Music Hall mmf 5.1 and I absolutely love it! I am playing LPs that I have not played in many years - its wonderful!

Added to this is a photo of the new baby with a classic ProgRock LP from StarCastle [:)]

Enjoy!

.......Gary

Davidness, that TT looks very classy..........But, it has a DJ edge to it at the same time [;)]

post-23544-13819524665998_thumb.jpg