Beyond Vinyl and CD's.....

SWL

Dave, sorry to hear about the analog inputs crapping out. As you indicated, the ybrid nature of it might make troubleshooting tough.

I've been recording album tracks to RTR lately and really enjoy listening that way. So for me, that machine is beyond vinvyl at the moment.

For the non-techy, it operates just like a cassette deck to record, connects to your PC as a hard drive just like any other.

Thanks Dave.......for I am the "non-techy" when it comes to this stuff. I only own cd's and vinyl. I've never used an Ipod, mp-3 or any of this new stuff.

Sooo, would you say that it's much like an Ipod with the ability to record in live situations......with better sound quality?

To be honest, I'm just getting really turned off by the sound quality of my cd's. Don't have the bread to splurge on a serious turntable/cartridge (nor do I really want to anyway).

For the non-techy, it operates just like a cassette deck to record, connects to your PC as a hard drive just like any other.

Thanks Dave.......for I am the "non-techy" when it comes to this stuff. I only own cd's and vinyl. I've never used an Ipod, mp-3 or any of this new stuff.

Sooo, would you say that it's much like an Ipod with the ability to record in live situations......with better sound quality?

To be honest, I'm just getting really turned off by the sound quality of my cd's. Don't have the bread to splurge on a serious turntable/cartridge (nor do I really want to anyway).

For not being a techy, you sound like that is what you're looking for and to be honest, I am too. I put some money into a good turntable and cartridge and I have to admit that my clean vinyl sounds better than most of my cd's, but what I'm after now is the nirvana of clean quality recordings with the technical ability to have it at my fingertips. Playing an album or changing out a cd, is not a process that I enjoy, and would rather hit enter on the remote or laptop and hear exactly what I want and have it be very good, even if it's not the best, I can settle with very good. Is that what you're saying?????????

>Sooo, would you say that it's much like an Ipod with the ability to record in live situations......with better sound quality?

Much better. If you've ever heard SACD, it's the same resolution. Of course, there are badly engineered SACD's just like there is in any medium so I can't know just how good you might have heard.

From personal experience (related below somewhere) I can tell you that I did an A/B with some very good ears in the room of my Crystal Clear Direct to Disc Virgil Fox organ LP to a recording made on the Korg and nobody could tell which was which. Those CC's are about as good as vinyl gets and these particular pressings are legendary.

I've also found that transcoding from the Korg DSD format to CD (PCM 16/44.1) yields recordings that sound as good as the very best CD's and much better than most.

For live work, the Korg is, like any other device, entirely dependent upon the mikes and the engineer. But even with the little stereo tie tack mike the quality is surprisingly good and it's great for recording places where you aren't supposed to or you really can't take real mikes and such.

Dave

I'd probably direct him to the 1000 or 2000S. The 2000S can be synced to another or other 2000Ss for multi-track ability. Both machines offer 5.6mhz DSD, which, for practial purposes, is flat from DC to light.

Dave

The MR-1 has been discontinued, so you have to find someone with it in stock or get a newer model.

Our web dev. at school uses a Zoom for interviews, although I don't remember just which model he has. A great tool!

Bruce

I'd probably direct him to the 1000 or 2000S. The 2000S can be synced to another or other 2000Ss for multi-track ability. Both machines offer 5.6mhz DSD, which, for practial purposes, is flat from DC to light.

Dave

The MR-1 has been discontinued, so you have to find someone with it in stock or get a newer model.

Our web dev. at school uses a Zoom for interviews, although I don't remember just which model he has. A great tool!

Bruce

Bruce, I was about to say "no way" as the Korg site hasn't changed. However, considering who made the comment I went to BH Photovideo which I use regularly for personal and business equipment. No longer available. Absolutely fascinating, as there is nothing on the market to replace it...not even close.

Certainly glad I got mine!

I sort of wonder if most pros went to the rack units and most amateurs didn't understand the technology, or perhaps they were selling too many at lower profit than the rack units.

Hard to tell.

In any event, I still highly recommend this unit as "one of a kind" from wherever you can get one.

I am going to query them as to what the deal is.

Dave

Best and best bang for the buck are opposites.

Best is DVD-Audio at 24bit/192 kHz. I think it sounds as good as vinyl ever did.

Best bang for the buck is probably some sort of cheap MP3 jukebox, or maybe a 600 cd changer.

I disagree. Best and best bang for the buck often coincide. Most expensive is usually just scam to suck in the monetarily well-heeled but uninformed.

Mallett is correct. The Korg MR-1 is a dandy little device. I wish I got one. I guess my procrastination deciding between the MR-1 or one of their pro rack units will now cost me.

As far as DVD-Audio goes, its not in the same league with Direct Stream Digital (DSD) (SACD) audio quality. And for archiving DSD/SACD is the clear choice. DSD is 1 bit. Try dividing or multiplying 192, or 24 into ANY other number. ONE divides/multiplies EVENLY into ANY whole number regardless of resolution sample rate or bit depth. No interpolation of bits or sample rates trying to turn something into something it isn't capable of.

SACD is very analog-like in sound quality, minus of course things like ticks and pops, groove noise or tape hiss. As mentioned, this obviously depends on the source of the recording and how well it was recorded in the first place. So, in that respect, nothing has changed.

As far as DVD-Audio goes, its not in the same league with Direct Stream Digital (DSD) (SACD) audio quality. And for archiving DSD/SACD is the clear choice. DSD is 1 bit. Try dividing or multiplying 192, or 24 into ANY other number. ONE divides/multiplies EVENLY into ANY whole number regardless of resolution sample rate or bit depth. No interpolation of bits or sample rates trying to turn something into something it isn't capable of.

SACD is very analog-like in sound quality, minus of course things like ticks and pops, groove noise or tape hiss. As mentioned, this obviously depends on the source of the recording and how well it was recorded in the first place.

That's why you need to splurge and get a Sonoma multitrack DSD recorder... [:|]

http://www.superaudiocenter.com/Products.htm

Bruce