Possible Vinyl Find What To Offer

Pete H

During a site visit with a client yesterday, she started talking about an album collection that a former renter had skipped town and left and I told her I would like to take a look, and in her home and in a garage are thousands of albums from picture albums, to crates full of albums to these strange cases loaded with albums. I didn't have time to do anything but glance and take a couple of shots, but there's cases marked WW1 and WW2 and many names that I'm not familiar with along with some older country, but again, this was at a glance. I said I had no clue who most of them were and this could just be a truck load of junk, but something tells me to make her an offer, I just don't have a clue what it should be. Any input?

post-34280-1381952525387_thumb.jpg

Not sure what you mean by "vinyl." Those are vintage 78's. Pix aren't high enough res to read, but I see "Dixie," which might be a trove of fine Dixieland Jazz, and Caruso, which might be originals (valuable) or at least 30's re-issues of the great one.

Many here know that I listen to 78's regularly as you can't get better than the real thing. However, if it's stereo and dead silence your after rather than music it isn't for you.

Dave

If there is any blues or country I would want it immediately. Some of the early blues are priceless imo. The albums labeled personal could be transcribed by an individual or music by an individual which I would also get. The one labeled ***** type is making me salivate and depending on the content could be great. This is the kind of 78 stash I would like to go through myself. I've been through thousands of 78s just to find a few titles I like. How much do they want for it? I wish I were closer!!!!!!!!

The best thing about that collection is probably the condition of those records. You may have a treasure trove of Excellent condition Bing Crosby as well as Caruso. You could have still shiny Glenn Miller recordings as well as Benny Goodman. Much better condition than what one usually finds in thrifts. You could even find the Andrew Sisters and even some Paul Whiteman if they go back to the 20s.. I mean you need to check them out, contact the Smithsonian if you have to, and see if you can get a home equity loan, but grab those things. Artie Shaw to Beethoven, you'll have your weight in gold with that horde. Seriously, you could have just one record that would make the effort worthwhile. Maybe even Spike Jones and his City Slickers. Keep your eyes peeled for any Harry James, Kay Kyser, Xavier Cugat, Woody Herman, Guy Lombardo, etc. .....now you even got me drooling.

78 rpm materials

Early disc records were made of various materials including hard rubber. From 1897 onwards, earlier materials were largely replaced by a rather brittle formula of 25% shellac, a filler of a cotton compound similar to manila paper, powdered slate, and a small amount of a wax lubricant. The mass production of shellac records began in 1898 in Hanover, Germany, and continued until the end of the 78-rpm format in the late 1950s. "Unbreakable" records, usually of celluloid on a pasteboard
base, were made from 1904 onwards, but they suffered from an
exceptionally high level of surface noise. "Unbreakable" records could
be bent, broken, or otherwise damaged; but not nearly as easily as
shellac records. Vinyl was first tried out as a 78 rpm record material
in 1940 due to material restrictions. Decca introduced vinyl
"Deccalite" 78s after the Second World War, and Victor made some vinyl
78s, but other labels would restrict vinyl production to the newer 33
and 45 formats.

The fabled long lost recordings of Robert Johnson...... Who knows!!

That's me! The thrill of the hunt. Plus, hearing so many great recordings not available in any other medium even better than the engineers that made them heard them.

For any new to this idea, you can get about 98% of all there is to hear (which can be a LOT more than you expect) from a 78rpm record for an investment of around 60-80 for a 78 preamp and about the same for a 78 cartridge. Then, you need a decent TT...and by decent I mean an old Dual, Garrard, or similar you can pick up for next to nothing that is in reasonable condition.

Then, it's time tripping time!

I've a few 78's from the last days that are incredibly quiet and have even more presence than most modern LP's. Actually, I'd love to hear what a 78 stereo record made with modern methods...or direct to disc...would sound like. Stands to reason having twice the speed of an LP would have the same benefits as higher speed does in any analog format.

Might even have been some business there in the heydey of the 331/3 rpm single. Do they still make those?

Dave

PS - Love Robert Johnson, of course, but I'd equally like to get my hands on some original Bix Biederbecke.

One of the advantages to the Technics TT is the ability to play 33 1/2 rpm recordings. A simple tweak and they sound just like 33 1/3 rpm. Also, I have the 78 conversion which allows one to play all the old speeds + or - from 78 which was not totally a standard in the early days.

"Personal" could be home type recordings, many people made them, even going to special outfits which would record you if you thought you had a promising voice or a potential career. I have found these over the years in thrift stores.

c7s

One of the advantages to the Technics TT is the ability to play 33 1/2 rpm recordings. A simple tweak and they sound just like 33 1/3 rpm. Also, I have the 78 conversion which allows one to play all the old speeds + or - from 78 which was not totally a standard in the early days.

"Personal" could be home type recordings, many people made them, even going to special outfits which would record you if you thought you had a promising voice or a potential career. I have found these over the years in thrift stores.

c7s

A speed adjustment is a definite nicety...especially for those blessed/cursed with perfect pitch. "78" was nominal and ranged generally from 75 to 80 until the 30's. For most of us it isn't that big a deal...but for some, it is.

Dave

There are some very real reasons those obscure blues 78s are scarce and thus valuable. Cannot recall offhand how many of those my grannie had in her collection, but the number zero seems to come to mind. How about your grannie you all?

If its the excitement of the hunt and the thrill of finding treasure you are after set your sites on those Decca 78s of Bing Crosby and you surely will be a happy camper. Whoa!.....early one sided red label RCA Caruso......holy grail......

c7s

I have a big collection of these old 78's that I have been caring for for the last 40+ years... I never have listened to them as I dont have the mechanism to do so

Form what I gather they were my great grand fathers, because there are some old edison Cylinders with some fairly Racist titles in there to. but most of them ate Duke, arte and blues/country based artists. I need a websited with more researchable info. does anyone have a source they would like to share?

I'm going to make her an offer and see where it goes. The pictures were only a small portion of what's there in 78's and a thousand or so albums. I'm going to have to break down and get a heavy duty cleaning machine, which brings up a question about cleaning the 78's, since I've never owned one, is there anything special I need to know about handling them?