The New (to me) La Scalas

Ocnorb

Thanks Dennie

Just getting them out of the box of the pickup by myself was greulling. And then the pea gravel obstacle course of log framed garden plots and around to the back of the house and down some stairs and into the listening room. I had a fridge dolly but it was not too good in the pea gravel. lol

They sound quite different than the heresys (good different) as they should.

A 70 mile drive to get them home in the open back of a pickup truck. It had been miserable and raining all morning but not a drop fell once I got on the freeway.

The only water to touch them was some droplets from shrubbery as I tried to get them through the obstacle course

I think I will be doing even more listening now, but work and need for sleep will surely get in the way [:D]

cheers

Jim

• Moderators

Your very lucky, I thought some would have to pry them out of Oldenough's cold dead hands before he let them go, I am surprised he sold them. [:'(]

LaScalas are "one" of my favorite speakers

Here is a brighter picture..... I can't stop looking at them :)

I don't blame you, very cool, now don't kill your ears with them they can really put out some serious sound.

See that Ottoman in that pic, a few years back we had that same set with the exact same pattern. [:D]

The grain pattern on those cabinets is REALLY nice! Those had to have been a lacquer finish when they left the factory.

The 60th Anniversary Khorns we heard in Indy were superb, but it is really hard to beat a pair of LaScalas. If the amp matches well with them, the sound will carry you away.

See that Ottoman in that pic, a few years back we had that same set with the exact same pattern.

Did you ship it off to Canada? [:^)]

Well, I have been mixing and matching my recievers with the La Scalas and am surprised at the results so far.

The Heresys with new caps sounded much too bright with my Kenwood KR9600 and much better with all of the HK stuff but especially with the 930.

However a different story with the La Scalas, they sound good with the HK730 and a little better with the HK930 but much better with the Kenwood.

Now to mix and match the preamp sections of the HK units with the power section of the Kenwood and see what happens and vice versa

Darn but I am having so much fun that sleep is not on the agenda.... yet LOL

Jim

Proper placement made the most significant improvement in mine.

I agree with Sean on this. But take your time, move the front of the speakers and listen. Move the back end of the speakers and listen some more and so on. Heck, it took me a couple years to finally get it right.

Luckily, I was not in a hurry! [;)]

Dennie

Dennie

I set up my Heresys according to the Cardas Golden Ratio Formula, carefully measuring distances from back wall and sidewalls (you can see the tape on the carpet in the second picture. I then toed them in slightly and raised the fronts so they pointed at the listeners head.

They sounded absolutely incredible which is what got me back into this whole obsession.

The LaScalas are not in the same position in the picture because I moved them back so I could still access the records in my record rack.

Fortunately the room is a dedicated listening room and I will move stuff around to allow proper placement...... eventually [H]

Very nice... How are you wiring your hereseys?

Schu

For now the Heresys are just sitting on top of the 'Scalas

Once I get the 'Scalas positioned properly I will put the Heresys on SPKR 2 and see how they sound in A/B comparisons and together

It just gets better and better.............but I may have to quit my job and learn how to stay awake 24/7 .... LOL

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I now have the Heresys on spkr 2 on my HK930 and it has been interesting doing A/B and A + B comparisons.

I was shocked at how much more efficient the La Scalas are than the Heresys,,,, ya the numbers are 105 to 96 db on paper but to hear it I finally understand how just a few dbs can make a huuuuuge difference.

The La Scalas are waaaaay ...not just louder.. but fuller and bigger sounding at the same gain level.

but... the Heresys have had the crossovers recapped just before I bought them and I actually burned them in and did notice an improvement in sound quality after using them a lot for the first two weeks.

the La Scalas are awesome as is but the Heresys have just a little more je'ne sais quois (translates to "I dont know what it is") in the imaging and detail in the upper registers and the bass it little tighter

It is subtle but being able to compare side by side it is noticable to me

I am going to go the BC crossover route and can't wait to do listening tests again.

On another note.. due to the efficiency of the Klipsch speakers even with both sets pumping as loud as I can imagine listening for extended periods of time the HK930 hardly gets warm. What a difference from other stuff I have had.

cheers

Jim