The Merlin is magic!

Marvel

Once again it's playing so sweetly! A little over a week ago, the JAN Philips 6922 that came in my JMA Merlin decided to get really noisy and microphonic.

First, I tried one of the EH 6922 tubes that Mark had recommended for the BBX. When I had tried the other Philips tubes in the BBX, they had been noisy and slightly microphonic. The EH had slight noise, but seemed stable, and I was good to go, until I sold the BBX.

I tried an EH in the Merlin and it sounded like an open steam valve, all the way to my normal listening position.

Then I remembered that seti had sent me some Amperex 6DJ8s, made in Holland. The first was a little microphonic, too, but the second one was good, is good... NO, it is INCREDIBLE!! Invidiosulus and his family are here for a few days, and he said he hasn't heard this system sound so good. Lots of detail, and the magic is back better than ever.

So... a big thank you to Ian! [Y]

Bruce

Most of any I have tried are noisy, microphonic, etc., but the second of the four 6DJ8s you sent along is working magic. It is labeled HP, but was made by Amperex in Holland. Maybe Thebes will tell us what he kept. At least with the Merlin, I only have to deal with one audio tube and one rectifier tube.

Bruce

I couldn’t agree more. I sent my Merlin to Craig NOSValve last summer to have him do his magic, after choking and a larger tranny it came back within a breath of the BBX sound. Once I found a quite, sweet sounding 6DJ8, the little Merlin now sings with a detail I never heard from it before.

Thanks to Daddy Dee, I'm pretty sure it was you who pointed me to the Merlin 3 or 4 years ago,

and Thebes for sharing.

Tom

It really is spooky.

I never thought the BBX sounded as good as the Merlin when Bruce still had it.

The Merlin and the Moondogs are doing a wonderful job of making the LS dissappear.

There is just music coming from the far end of the living room and while it's now very easy to place individual instruments it is much harder to hear where the speakers are when you close your eyes.

My only real beef with the sound would be the lack of (immense head crushing) bass.

Due to room gain when you sit back on the couch the sound fattens up pretty well but as soon as you lean forward to pick up your hand thrown pottery mug filled with fresh brewed coffee from the melita pot the bass drys up a bit.

Things like the title track from Flight of the Cosmic Hippo by BFATFT made me miss my heresy's(such as they are) but the additional guitar parts I heard on Neil Young's Freedom more than made up for it.

Meanwhile there might have been some crazy guy out back with a JBL 2360a horn stuck to his face yelling at the relatives causing echos off the nearest ridge...

-Josh(Elder son of Marvel)

Actually the effect was the same with Bruce's Food Lion/ Cafe Bustelo blend as it was with my Starbucks Italian Roast(VIA instant).

I was using the same mug though.

OK, now we're getting somewhere. I called Mark @ JuicyMusic. He originally voiced his preamps and amps for use with this brand of mug.

Aha,

It turns out I'm a pretty decent potter myself.

I should be able to make a similar mug.

Does the type of clay matter?

-Josh

Considering your long, thick locks, I'd guess you could be called a hairy potter, at least from the mug shots I've seen. So, the Merlin should be magical. The perfect type of clay slips me at the moment. This must be kiln you.