Newbie here, with (nearly) free, (nearly) functional Cornwalls... Help!

JettaGLi16v

Good evening, all!

These speakers did not sell at a garage sale for $20 (not tested or guaranteed to work)

so a co-worker of mine took them home to see if he could use them one day.

I went over to his house, and recognized them as "Klipsch Cornwalls" (dont give me too much credit, I just read the tag!)

and asked him what he wanted for them. I don't know much about vintage stereo stuff,

but I remember in 1993-96 when I used to read Stereo Review mag, that was a reference point for old school,

great speakers...

He did not have a suitable amp to test them with,

but a preliminary tap of the woofer cones showed that one woofer "bounced" nicely,

and one driver was shot (buzzing noise when tapped)

But I fancy myself a bit of an audio guy, and having built many a subwoofer box in my day,

thought I should be up to the task of a woofer replacement.

He bought a car (VW GTi) and needed help getting it running, so I offered to trade the labor involved in

getting the car roadworthy for the speakers. Long story short, in trade for about 10 hours of easy car work,

I got these:

(clickable thumbnails)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So I am looking for some advice on the following issues:

1) blown driver (I see what looks like reproduction crap on ebay, is it? and if so, is there a

good source for a single replacement woofer? should I replace them as an acoustically-matched pair?)

2) Grille cloth is brittle and shrinking (not suitable to just re-attach), but it seems like the brown grille cloth

(as shown) is no longer available? Also, missing one emblem, can these be had?

3) I am capable of cleaning these up and/or staining them, or not. Aesthetics are not a concern for me,

but I don't want to diminish the value. Do I decrease the value if I stain original unfinished boxes?

And just to confirm, for a price of $100-200, these are a decent buy, no?

Thanks in advance!

-Brad

Looks like you figure some out on your own,just by searching around here. Those are like mine. Looks like it might not have been a bad deal. The woofers you speak of possibly are reproduction or after markets but it they are from a credible sources such B&k audio they are good woofers. You can refinish since they are birch raw reads the model C-BR. So sanding and re-staining wouldn't drop value I dont think. There will be lots more input here in a bit if you sit around and wait. Great score in my opinion. Have fun. and welcome

duder

I think it was a very nice score!

You are correct the original cane grill cloth is no longer available as far as I know. There is cloth available that comes close or from klipsh you can get black cloth that was the color primarily used. You will most definately not diminish the value by refinishing them. If you do a nice job you more than likely would enhance the value. I refinished a pair of decorator cornwalls in a satin black that was close to a piano style finish that turned out great. Ill look aroud for some photos.

You can also have the woofer repaired. I know of local places around here that would replace the voice coil but not sure if that would be cost efficient versus a used replacement if you have to ship them to a repair place. A good one is www.abrown.com I have used them a few times and have been most satisified with there work.

You did good. You will enjoy the heck out of them for sure.

Josh

So I am looking for some advice on the following issues:

1) blown driver (I see what looks like reproduction crap on ebay, is it? and if so, is there a good source for a single replacement woofer? should I replace them as an acoustically-matched pair?)

As mentioned by others above; I would recommend a matched pair of K-33's, or Bob Crites' CW-1526's; stamped frame are fine, cast are more rigid, but not necessary if you are on a budget.

2) Grille cloth is brittle and shrinking (not suitable to just re-attach), but it seems like the brown grille cloth (as shown) is no longer available? Also, missing one emblem, can these be had?

Crites also has the cloth, but only in black. There are some substitutes, but will not be "original". The original emblems are no longer available from Klipsch, but Forum members often have used pairs for sale. Klipsch only carries the new "pies" (which look really nice!!) For information on how to recover grilles, see:

If you have the time, sometime in the next couple of weeks I will be recovering a pair of Cornwall grills here in Okeechobee about 2 hours south of you. You can email me or PM me for directions to the scene of the crime if interested.

3) I am capable of cleaning these up and/or staining them, or not. Aesthetics are not a concern for me, but I don't want to diminish the value. Do I decrease the value if I stain original unfinished boxes?

They are prime candidates for a refinishing job. Not that difficult at all: See:

And just to confirm, for a price of $100-200, these are a decent buy, no?

That would be a very good deal. Reason? You maybe have $150 in them, tops. Spend about $300-$400 max and they would be in otherwise mint condition.

For in depth information on serial numbers, codes, finishes, grill cloth, drivers, time lines, etc, see:

Have fun and enjoy them! [H]

wow,

this board turns over pretty darn quickly!

Thanks to all for the help,

GroomLakearea51, just sent you an email about the k-33-e you just advertised, I would like to get that just to get them playing, as I can always upgrade the drivers (and crossovers) later.

If I cant get new grille cloth identical to this, I think Ill probably try to trim these up and keep them in play. I can make them look presentable with some effort. I just lik the cane. Black is so... modern! the cane is straight 80s! (just like my cars: 2X '85 vw diesel)

I think I'm going to put off refinishing of the cabinets, as they are look pretty good for 28! (and Iam anxious to hear them!)

This is a mighty nice resource you guys have here,

Ill get pics up of the insides soon, I ned to open them both up and see if I find any trasures!

Thanks!

-Brad

Cool stuff.. Nice materials.

Thanks for the link!

Yeah, hopefully if I can grab the used k-33-e from GroomLakearea51,

I could have these babies pumping by late this / early next week! (Just using my lil Marantz 2-channel, I am going to set up the Cornwalls as my 'B' channel, and keep my Paradigm Monitors as my 'A' channel for a little back and forth comparison.)

Then I'll consider upgrading the x-overs, and/or both woofers.

Also, one random question: Would my cornwalls make my (newer era) powered 12" Klipsch sub obsolete? (I cant imagine getting more from a 12" than a 15")

Thanks guys!

(I am now cursed with another good forum on stuff I like! My time is already so occupied keeping up with all the data on www.vwvortex.com, and http://vwdiesel.net, now I have another forum to keep up with! Oh well, I suppose thats life in the fast lane!)

-Brad

two things.

When you Play the CW's your gonna want to sell the Paradigms.............Period.

Well, if that is the case, so be it.

I bought my Monitors about 12-14 years ago,

and they have treated me well over the duration I have had them,

but If I feel I need to get rid of them, I suppose I will!

Got back late last night from driving down to see GroomLakeArea51, and picking up an old K-33-E from him,

so when I go home, I hope to have these assembled and playing!

Wish me luck, pics to follow!

-Brad

"Got back late last night from driving down to see GroomLakeArea51, and picking up an old K-33-E from him,

so when I go home, I hope to have these assembled and playing!"

Brad-

Ahh, so you have made the trip to Groom's mancave... pretty sweet eh?

You can do a minimum of work and have the cabs looking great. I stained and shellaced mine to match the other woodwork in my living room. Then I put about 3 coats of beeswax to give them a patina as smooth as a baby's bottom. Groom does a great job with grills as well, he did mine.

Enjoy!

Herb

Yes, I personally experienced the ManCave. wow.

On a good note, My house got a little more man-cave-ish,

with my Cornwalls now playing!

I replaced the driver on sunday after work, and figured if everyone is so into vinyl as a source,

I figured I might as well fire up my turntables, but I have devloped some kind of crackling from the

(needle or mixer, or something else) so I just went to bed..

Tonight was the first time I had the time to hook up the Cornwalls with a CD as an input, and really play through them!

And boy, did I play them!! I really love music most people consider "excessively" loud.

(apparently so do the Cornwalls, as they do it more easily than most!)

But, they are a little off.....

-One woofer (the one I replaced) is playing noticeably less than the other (original) woofer.

By less, I mean quiter, and a noticeable difference in the speaker-bouncing-the-finger test..

I'll double check my connections at the speaker later, but I am 100% sure I am good there.

Any ideas? Start by redoing the crossovers and see from there?

-One midrange and tweeter (also on the same speaker as the quiet woofer) have a noticeable "crackle".

This is more evident at low volume and goes away a bit when you really turn it up. It may have possibly gotten better

after a good half hour session of really playing them, or maybe not.

It makes sense to m that if the diaphragms are a phenolic material, I would imagine they could be pretty rough at 28 years old.

But, when I just had the good one playing by its lonesome, I can say that it is one hell of a speaker.

Boy, do they sing!! And if they are this decent now, I cant wait to get them up to par!

Thanks!

-Brad