Any members of NSSAR, National Sons of the American Revolution here?

Coytee

Long story short... my Grandmother was a member of the DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution). My dad was in town over the holidays and brought up the SAR and inferred that he (as well as me afterwards) might want to join up.

I have no qualms in doing so as he's doing all the legwork with the names/relations that takes us back that far. I would have to simply follow behind him.

I'm just curious if there are any memebers here and if so, ....how to say this without it sounding bad.... if it's worth the time?

If anyone has a comment you can comment here or PM me on the side if you feel more appropriate. I never knew the SAR existed until Dad mentioned it.

http://www.sar.org/

One can only guess at the dates but when your Grandmother was a member of DAR their claim to fame was racism and preventing Marion Anderson from singing at Constitution Hall.

The male version routinely meets with other identity groups such as Sons of Confederate Veterans.

If you find yourself asking in a forum should I join this group PM me if you have information --- the group is somewhat suspect. If you were asking if and how to join a merit based organization such as mensa you wouldnt think you needed a PM, would you???

Family values are important and irrespective of the past you should probably join an organization which is important to your family.

If you find yourself asking in a forum should I join this group PM me if you have information --- the group is somewhat suspect. If you were asking if and how to join a merit based organization such as mensa you wouldnt think you needed a PM, would you???

I totally disagree with your line of thinking. It (your logic) might have its own merits to you or others however, to me, the DAR was simply something I heard of that my Grandmother belonged to and other than that, I have never known anything else about it nor cared to even look into it. It was nothing more than a comment about my Grandmother as I was growing up.

Today, my father brings up this SAR and I had a "slap myself in the forehead" moment thinking... well.... if they had a DAR then it would make sense that there is a SAR. I had never heard of it either and STILL know, nothing about it.

Do the members of it simply sign up so their name is up in lights as someone who's heritage goes back that far? Do they have little meetings? Do they yearn for the good ole days when we were fighting England verses Muslum fundamentalists? Do they have little bake sales? Or do they just proudly proclaim that they're a memeber and someone can look them up in a database and go "wow"?

I know nothing, zero, nada, zilch about them just as I know nothing, zero, nada, zilch about MENSA and what they do. Had I been suggested to join MENSA I would have asked the question just as honestly and innocently as I asked this question about the SAR.

Frankly, had I known as little of the KKK as I do these above, I would have done the same about the KKK (had it been mentioned to me to maybe join).

So no, I do not agree that the fact of asking publically means the group is somewhat suspect. (it also does not mean that they are NOT somewhat suspect). It simply means that I was bringing up the subject.

[:D]

I think it is ironic that this guy uses the words 'merit' and 'mensa' in the same sentence. His comment reminds of Newt for some reason.

Funny I thought of that right after I wrote it... But I feel its more worthwhile gathering with a group of folks that have some inate shared talent or interest than those who share your background based solely upon heredity. So clearly I'm in the minority...

I do qualify to join. I can trace the ancestry back to 1685 whence a distant relation relocated to colonial Maryland from Hull, in England. I did belong to DeMolay and it was pretty much just ceremonial stuff. I attended a 'tea party' last July 4th if that matters. Aside from the prospect the connections might afford I don't see any advantage to joining this group. Now 'Sons of the Audio Revolution' might be more interesting.

I do qualify to join. I can trace the ancestry back to 1685 whence a distant relation relocated to colonial Maryland from Hull, in England. I did belong to DeMolay and it was pretty much just ceremonial stuff. I attended a 'tea party' last July 4th if that matters. Aside from the prospect the connections might afford I don't see any advantage to joining this group. Now 'Sons of the Audio Revolution' might be more interesting.

Curious what does tea party have to do with NSSAR? For me the tea partys are a really good idea but then they tend to devolve into hideous displays like a recent one where Obama is chained and beaten in effigy. Thats not my brand of partriotism.

One can only guess at the dates but
when your Grandmother was a member of DAR their claim to fame was
racism and preventing Marion Anderson from singing at Constitution Hall.

The male version routinely meets with other identity groups such as Sons of Confederate Veterans.

If
you find yourself asking in a forum should I join this group PM me if
you have information --- the group is somewhat suspect. If you were
asking if and how to join a merit based organization such as mensa you
wouldnt think you needed a PM, would you???

Family values are
important and irrespective of the past you should probably join an
organization which is important to your family.

My
late wife, born in the South, raised in the South, from the South, got
really upset when someone accused her of being a racist because she saw
no problem with the old Confederate flag being used. She was far from
being a racist. She also could have been a member of MENSA, but
declined. I am a yankee who lives in the South and loves the South. If
you paint the South with a broad, racist brush, you would be sadly
mistaken, although falling in step with most of America.

You comment about Marian Anderson is interesting, since the DAR website calims to have invited her to sing there. See the quote below:

"DAR welcomed Marian Anderson to Constitution Hall on a number of
occasions soon after 1939, including a benefit concert for war relief
in 1943. It is also meaningful to us that Ms. Anderson chose
Constitution Hall as the place to launch her farewell American tour in
1964. The DAR presented Ms. Anderson with the DAR Centennial Medallion
in 1992 which recognizes women who gave outstanding service to the
nation. In 2005, DAR was privileged to host the dedication ceremony of
the Marian Anderson commemorative stamp at the invitation of the United
States Postal Service and Ms. Anderson’s family."

That would seem to contradict your opinion. This could be posted to show them in a favorable light. Can you present more facts to support your idea of 'racism'?

Thanks

Curious what does tea party have to do with NSSAR? For me the tea partys are a really good idea but then they tend to devolve into hideous displays like a recent one where Obama is chained and beaten in effigy. Thats not my brand of partriotism.

Well for starts I wrote "if that matters" in my comment and to you it matters in a most negative fashion. I rather resent the implications your protest lays down. The tea party I attended focused on American values and the tenants embraced by our founding fathers. In that context it would seem to dovetail with the Sons of the American Revolution organization quite well. Obama is Obama, and not overly appreciated by many and subject to the often banal demonstrations freedom of speech allows. The same could be said for Bush 2 or many past Presidents. In fact I can recall some extremely offensive portrayals of GWB so Obama is not at all unique to this problem. But, NO, the tea parties held locally do not devolve into such activities.

I think I'm a son of a DAR but been called much worse. Coytee, I'm not aware or involved in the SAR so I have no opinion about it, nor really care about the dar either. There is nothing wrong with tracing and knowing your heritage though no matter what it may be. As US citizens know for the most part, (except for some of the old money families), there is no reason to judge anyone based on their family's past. or is that a can of worms? There are still many who wish to visit punishment because of the sins of the fathers.

There are still many who wish to visit punishment because of the sins of the fathers.

Where I live they built a whole museum dedicated to just that period. It's called the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center (BTW - it's attendance has done very poorly since it opened a few years back).

I am not a racist but I despise the Mexicans who live around my neighborhood. They don't work. They live on welfare and housing for years and years. Their women are always pregnant. They always eat and eat lots of burritos and beans. Most of them are obese by their late teen years. Some of their men go around the neighborhood and steal cars.

There is nothing wrong with them being pregnant, but there will be more of them in the future to not work and be on welfare and go steal cars in the neigborhood. My uncle's car got stolen three times, each time by a different Mexican man.