Anyone here get a Emotiva UMC-1?

carbon summit

does anyone have any idea of what will be fixed? I tried to watch " The Town" last night and I just reset mine to the default and that cleared up all the distortion. But it was really strange I was watching TV and put the bluray in and as soon as it started to play instant distortion.

On the Emotiva website I saw a back view of the UMC-1. My current sub cable from my AVR is a RCA type connection, however the UMC-1 has a different connection. Is this just a simple cable swap? I would need to find a way to connect it to the Klipsch KA-1000 sub amp.

does anyone have any idea of what will be fixed? I tried to watch " The Town" last night and I just reset mine to the default and that cleared up all the distortion. But it was really strange I was watching TV and put the bluray in and as soon as it started to play instant distortion.

Check out this link for some info on the distortion issue:

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=preamps&action=display&thread=16228&page=1

I have not had this issue, so I have not kept up on this thread but was reminded of it when I read your post.

Well Sir. here, I just turned it up .Per every body that lives around me you should be able to hear and feel it ( but yet nobody complains). LOL

Mine to are all Crites. You my find it does not sound that much different then your set up.

Please stop by anytime if you find yourself out this way.

I jumped on the UPA-7 closeout... now I need to decide if I combine it with my current AVR (pioneer elite non-hdmi), grab the UMC-1, or wait to see the specs on the XMC version (whenever that comes out). I can be patient... but also would like to have matching components (and maybe find an alternative use for the AVR). Best solution would be for the upcoming XMC to come out relatively soon and then jump on that and save the 40% upgrade for later. Would like to not waste the 40% discount on the UMC-1 at this stage. Thoughts?

I jumped on the closeout, too. I have a UMC and was delighted with the improvement in SQ over my Sony STR-DE898 which I use for amplification only right now. I'm looking for another major improvement in SQ from the UPA-7.

I would wait for the XMC to be released and use your Pioneer in the mean time. 40% off an XMC will be great if it lives up to the discussed improvement over the UMC. Don't get me wrong.... I really like to UMC and dealing with the upgrades has been extremely educational. [:)] People are amazed at the tweakability of the UMC and it does everything I ask it to do. (99%)

Whatever you decide, please let us know how it all comes together.

Just to clarify. I don't have an Emotiva credit now. My wording meant that if I get the UMC now, then I would have 40% off for the XMC. However I would rather pay the full price for the XMC and then be able to use the 40% off on the next generation or whenever I need to update. So, I know that I have reasonably priced upgrades for several years. However, now that I think about it... it may be wiser to jump in the UMC at a "low" price and then use the 40% off whenever needed. Instead, of waiting and limiting upgrades to one company in the far off future (not even knowing the company will be there or still offering the discount). Anyone want to use their 40% off now and ship to me? Will split savings...

Just to clarify. I don't have an Emotiva credit now. My wording meant that if I get the UMC now, then I would have 40% off for the XMC.

Yup. I assumed incorrectly. The 40% off deal is on the next generation of processors. I believe the XMC/UMC are considered the same generation so, if you bought the UMC, the 40% could not be used for the XMC. Since Emo just became a different company (Emotiva/Sherborn), I would expect the next gen to be either a Sherborn branded pre/pro or a significantly more expensive Emo. I could be completely wrong.

Then there's the Emo custom installer line to take into consideration. That's 3 different avenues for the next generation. The 40% deal might just be for Emo branded products. That could change, too. What doesn't change in this rhelm?

Why is a processor better sounding than a receiver? I understand why an amp would be different from receiver generated power, but aren't the processor components the same?

That 1 topic can spawn thousands of threads!

To start with, no, components are not the same. It's like rubber tires. They all do about the same thing but, try to put a Kia tire on a Ferrari and see what happens! A resistor is a resistor. But you can buy a bag of 1k ohm resistors for a couple bucks or you can buy good ones for a couple bucks each. Then theres the actual circuit boards and wiring. Everything has a low and high end. Now add in the actual internal design and it get easier to understand the disserences.

Research is your best bet here. Keep in mind that there are some darn good sounding receivers. You do have to pay for the quality. Dedicated processors have to stand on their own. They must deliver superiority at their price point or they will be torn to sheds by the various reviewers and quickly disappear.Great receivers have to deliver to market and price point. That's why Onkyo has different product lines. Market share is important and to get that share they have to produce a lower end product. If you have a chance to audition a low/high end receiver from the same manufacturer, do it.

For the majority of the buyers out there, 1 box, plug and play capability is all that matters. They have been listening to TV speakers and the move to a receiver is quantum. Sound quality isn't as high of a priority than hearing a BluRay in surround for the first time. They usually purchase lower end gear and it does just what they want it to. I can tell you from experience that my Sony receiver sounded OK when I purchased it. I researched for 2 years before I was convinced that a pre/pro was the way to go. It took less than a minute to hear the difference between it and my old Sony receiver.

I suppose for the total cost of my pre/pro and just ordered amp, I could have found a receiver that was pretty good. The $1300 units out there have a great reputation. I'll never know since I don't think I'll have a chance to compare them to what I have. I'm ok with that. My new amp should last 10+ years and when the technology changes, I will be able to upgrade the pre/pro separately and not have to spend the money to get another amp section too.

I think it would be like buying a new house to get a higher efficiency furnace. Some will and do just that. [;)]

i would call and talk to emo about the upgrade. from what i understand, based on the question i asked Vincent, the 40% will NOT apply to the XMC if you buy the UMC. the processor are in the same family and the discount doesn't work that way. it has to be a technology jump, not just an connectivity jump. there is very little difference between the umc and xmc. the biggest difference is the xlr connectors. there is going to be a different video chip but you won't really be able to see that difference. the processor is for people who have emi/rfi issues with their current RCA cables.

all this info is from Vincent from emotiva. i am just passing along what he told me.

This is so sad ,I have been a member for over 10 years and I have a whopping 24 post.

25! Thats an ~4% increase with just 1 post!

If I'm wrong on the 40% discount on the XMC from UMC, by all means correct me. Please. I would hate to spread inaccuracies.

I still won't get the XMC unless it's far better. Honestly, I think it will be a beefed up UMC with really good firmware.

Gents-

I should be recieving my new RF-82's, RC62, and UMC this week... I "reserved" UPA7 from EMO that they say will ship 15 Feb 2011. I think that it is a good deal, but I don't really plan on using 7.1 for awhile, I will be at 5.1 until I move to a house with more space to allow for 7.1. There is no issue if I just use the UPA7 as a 5 ch amp correct? i.e. I have nothing hooked up to 2 channels...

Also, I saw that another member had the umc/upa-7... I would assume this to be a good combo since they are the same brand, but does everyone like this set-up? I have heard that 7 channel amps were just not that hot of a seller and that is why Emo was getting out of it...

If I buy the UPA-7, I am going to have to wait on purchasing the RS-52's for a bit, which means that I will be using my soon to be replaced Quintets as surrounds for a bit longer... (which I'm ok w/ since until I buy an amp, I won't be able to use the UMC-1).

Thanks for the help.

BC