Anyone here get a Emotiva UMC-1?

carbon summit

emailed Vincent at Emo this morning regarding the 40% discount cards that come with the UMC, and here's the response:

"....this applies to folks who already have one of our legacy preamplifier/processor, you can save 40% off on the next generation Preamplifier Processor....."

so, no more 40% discount card if i buy a UMC today?

I bought the UMC-1 from another forum member, and I got it today, The UPA-7 will ship sometime around the 15th of Feb. For now I am using a Nakamichi 420 amp and running it in 2 ch until I get the new amp. The sound so far, is awesome, it was a total game changer... it makes me want the amp even more.....

I do have one problem that I am having trouble getting through.... I have an HTPC that runs a ATI Radeon 4350 video card (using HDMI out) and I can't get the picture to show up on the TV going through the UMC-1 with-out running my PC in safe-mode... Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.

BC

This is so weird. I spoke to vincent today at 9 am and he told me the 40% discount will apply to the xmc if u bought the umc. Initially it didn't but they figured most people would upgrade from the umc to the xmc. I have also never received any card. I just call in and ask for my discount.

This is so weird. I spoke to vincent today at 9 am and he told me the 40% discount will apply to the xmc if u bought the umc. Initially it didn't but they figured most people would upgrade from the umc to the xmc. I have also never received any card. I just call in and ask for my discount.

No dude I have seen them do what ever it takes to make you happy.They wont you part of the family.( they wont your money)

bigTbarker-

I would like to try and figure it out on my own before I break down and call them, but from what I am reading online, it looks like one would almost have to be a UMC-01 expert to mud their way through it. I will continue to dig. It has the FW 7.xxxx update, not sure what the last few numbers were, but I know its not the 19 which is supposed to come out in the next few days, I am thinking about calling EMO tomorrow and trying to get my way through it.

Thanks.

-BC

bigTbarker-

I would like to try and figure it out on my own before I break down and call them, but from what I am reading online, it looks like one would almost have to be a UMC-01 expert to mud their way through it. I will continue to dig. It has the FW 7.xxxx update, not sure what the last few numbers were, but I know its not the 19 which is supposed to come out in the next few days, I am thinking about calling EMO tomorrow and trying to get my way through it.

Thanks.

-BC

Just go to the Emo forums and starta thread in the Newbie section. You will get an answer in about an hour. [:)]

Even in the middle of the night, there are dozens of members lurking about. It shouldn't take long and then you'll be part of the gang.

Xki-

After a lot of reading, I finally solved the mystrey, my video card in my HTPC was not sending EDID (handshaking) and I could not find a hack/override for it, so I went to best buy this afternoon and bought an Nvidea G210 that was on sale for $59.00. It is much louder than my old ATI since that one didn't have a fan, but this card is much much better than the ATI for my application. I had to DL the drivers off Nvidea's website though b/c the ones off windows update do not have the current audio driver that is needed to carry sound.

After 2 days, a lot of reading on the internet, and a lot of help from many people, I feel like I can declare victory on the UMC-1. I really like it so far, and I think I will like it even more when my UPA-7 comes....

Thanks for all the help!

-BC

Hello BorderCollie

Congrats on the new stuff. I bought the same UMC-1 and UPA-7. How was the setup on the UMC pretty straight forward or painin the ***. What do you think of the UMC so far? MIne should be here next week I was kinda of courious on your initial thoughts on this.

wstanger-

setting up the UMC-1 itself was very easy with the OSD. Updating the firmware was easy following the instructions from online, hooking everything up and selecting inputs was very easy as well.... The worst thing for me was my EDID (handshaking) problem from my HTPC through the UMC-1. It was finally solved with buying a new video card today and downloading drivers from the website and not windows update.... Once I got that all figured out, I have to say that it is really awesome. I won't have my UPA-7 for a couple weeks I'm guessing, so for now I am using an old 2 ch amp, so I can't pass complete judgement yet, but I would venture to guess that you will be impressed. I am really looking forward to the UPA-7...

-BC

How does the Emotiva compare to the likes of a Rotel processor (or something along those lines)? Is a Rotel in a different class? Do we just like the Emotiva becasue of the pricepoint? Why doesn;t the rest of the world jump at the Emotiva if it is that great at such a great price? Trying to put things in perspective...

that's what i am thinking too, if it's so great why lots of people are selling them off?

i guess each has their preferences.

some of the issues with the UMC-1 kinda drive me in a different direction.

- bugs, bugs, and more bugs

- hdmi handshaking issue with htpc (big for me)

- lack of EQ (emo Q is not exactly on par with Audssey or MCACC)

that's what i am thinking too, if it's so great why lots of people are selling them off?

i guess each has their preferences.

some of the issues with the UMC-1 kinda drive me in a different direction.

- bugs, bugs, and more bugs

- hdmi handshaking issue with htpc (big for me)

- lack of EQ (emo Q is not exactly on par with Audssey or MCACC)

First let me say that for me, the UMC-1 does everything I need/want and I can live with infrequent bugs. The final firmware isn't out yet and with each update the bugs get far fewer.

I don't know the exact number of these units out there but it was quoted as thousands. Maybe a dozen (?) were either returned or sold elsewhere. Again I don't know just how many. The disastified are always the most vocal and the people who are fine with the unit are silent. What I can tell you is that the other manufacturers' equipment is being sold, too. Like you say, each has their preferences. There is a forum member over at Emo that went through 2 other non-Emo units before settling on the UMC. He's the type that will sell the Emo just to be on the bleeding edge.

Handshaking is an issue across many munufacturers. Some have figured it out. From all I've read, the stuff you hook to the pre/pro is usually the issue. Emo has had some big issues with the handshake and have been working on it. Most all owners are looking forward to the next firmware with fingers crossed. I resolved it by using optical for sources that don't require 5.1 or 7.1. The UMC lets you set 2 different inputs to the same source gear and you can tweak it from there. I love that!

EmoQ was substandard. It's much better with the last release. Fingers crossed here, too. It did a great job the last time I ran it. Still needed a bit of adjusting for my tastes.

The soon to be released XMC will probably be a very stable platform compared to the UMC. That's what Emo is saying. Time will tell. If it is, I'll bet there will be a slew of receivers up for sale!

I went for the UMC with my eyes wide open. I knew about the issues that some reported and made my decision based on sound quality that owners were reporting as first class. Except for the bass management that has a design flaw that you need to work through, the SQ is wonderful. The price point was a factor to. How could it not be? If a person expects to plug it in, turn it on, and simply forget about it, the UMC isn't for them. I'm a tweaker so that type of set-and-forget equipment is frustrating to me.

There are great units out there from many manufacturers. It's personal and subjective as to what you eventually aquire. True enthusiasts respect everyone's choices and help them get the best they can for what they have. Go with your gut. We are all in the same boat.