Horn/Driver

CIGARBUM

I am still having a difficult time in making a decision about what combination to use in my Belle upgrades. I have the choice of using one of the following: a 260HZ wood horn (about 11.5 x 24) with a JBL 2446 driver or a ALK trachorn (about 8 x 17) with a GPA 902-16. I'm sure there will be a difference, but can anyone tell me how much, better, worst. One choice will require a change to the HF cabinet (taller) or just changing the motor board.

The crossover will be a ALK Univerdal

Comments and recommendations will be appreciated.

CigarBum

If you already have the parts then disregard my comment...if however, you are preparing to start purchasing parts then I'd suggest you consider putting a Klipsch K510/K69 in there and take your Belle to a 2-way. Given my experience with the 3-way Khorn to the 2-way Jubilee, I'd speculate that you would find that single difference worthy. I don't think Roy has a passive designed for it as he does the JubeScala (same setup using LaScala bass bin) but frankly, I'd suggest you consider going active anyway.

Hey Rich, I already all the parts, just trying to decide what will sound the best. Whaatever changes I make I still want the ability to put it back to stock.

If there would be a significate difference, I will just build and complete new HF cabinet, allowing the use of the 260HZ wood horn/JBL 2446 and a Beyma CP25 tweeter.

I guess you have to keep in mind that the ALK is 1" and my 260HZ is 2"

Just looked at the Belles, how do you remove the bass bin grills?????? for replacement.

I would really like to try a active crossover, what is out there that won't cost a ton, let's say under $300????

CB

Guest David H

Budget out of the box active crossover, I would say the Ashley XR2001. I sounds good, easy to operate. I actually prefer my modified Behringer DCX-2496, but it is difficult to learn to program and has to be modded for best results.

There is an large thread being compile on active crossover you should check out.

Dave Harris

I don't have any experience with the 2446, but if you decide to go with the 902 & ALK Horn, you could easily do a two-way. The high-end of the 902 is very nice, although IMO, it does require a bit of EQ, done either actively or passively.

If you already have the horns and the drivers, why not just experiment with the two combinations sitting on top of the Belles? Do you like the sound of the JBL's better than the GPA's? They both seem to be the right frequency range and if you read Al's comments about 1" vs 2" horns - they both seem like great options.

BTW - I saw your post "Newest Project" - just a really nice build...

If you already have the parts then disregard my comment...if however, you are preparing to start purchasing parts then I'd suggest you consider putting a Klipsch K510/K69 in there and take your Belle to a 2-way. Given my experience with the 3-way Khorn to the 2-way Jubilee, I'd speculate that you would find that single difference worthy. I don't think Roy has a passive designed for it as he does the JubeScala (same setup using LaScala bass bin) but frankly, I'd suggest you consider going active anyway.

I agree with Richard if you have not bought any parts.

Also I have a pair of Belles that I added Al's upgrades to with a Beyma tweeter and they sounded like new speakers. A lot more open. more detail. Could use other terms that would be correct but not really say anything... sooo All I can say is that the upgrades put a smile on my face.....

Guest David H

Dave, I have read the thread about the active crossovers, that stuff is getting WAY over my head.

The Ashley is simple to use, however getting the settings right could drive one crazy. I understand completely.