Free Power Cable Test Kit

InVeNtOr

i am putting together a power cable kit so i can test to see if there is an audible difference betweet stock cords and aftermarket. i am also using different types of wire to see if they will influence the sound.

what the kit contains::

3ea power cables with Oyaide connectors 079 (Gold), 037 (silver/rhodium), and 046e (Copper - that one is not on their site). these cables will have a 2 conductor 12awg tinned wire. it's a mil spec wire that i like using (i use it for my speaker wire). the cable will have a black teleflex braid on it for protection.

the cables i plan on using to test the wire are all 037 connectors. i hope this will be the best connector to use because the 037 enriches the highs. if the wire alters the sound i hope you can pick it up easier. the wire i plan on testing is a cable design made up of the same 12awg mil spec wire, copper tinned shield, heat shrink, 10awg ground wire, and teleflex outer covering. i will also have a star quad design of 4 conductors of 14 awg wire (making 2 conductors of 11awg). the last one will be Anticables wire. i also have a special cable i made just to compete with anticables wire. i am taking their claim and making the best cable i know how to "one up them."

i am also adding a TV power cable. if you have a good conditioner you can use this cable and do this test. i have a furman and with the power cable i have one heck of a picture. my blacks are beyond detail. it's hard to explain but you actually see more detail. an example would be someone wearing a black suit. you actually see where the jacket and pants meet, all the buttons, and definition in the suit. sounds silly, but when you never see it, to seeing it, it will amaze you. along with this cable i will add in 2 specially made cat 6 cables. i have them in my set up. (if you see a pic of my ET center, it's the blue cables). if you have AT&T uverse you can install these cables (or any cable set up that uses cat 5). replace the main video line going to the modem and the one going to the dvr. this added a lot to the picture. i was told it wouldn't and shouldn't but i have witness that it does. also remember i have all my cable ran together so i have emi/rmi nightmares. you may not so you may not get the issues and fixes i do.

what i hope to find out: i hope to find out the wire in a POWER CABLE is too short to make any difference. i assume with such a short length it won't be able to effect the sound.

First test:

test stock power cable, 079, 037, and 046e to see if there is any audible difference between them.

Second test:

test 079, 037, and 046e (all identical cables - mil spec wire only) and see how it alters the sound. (warm, clear, bold, sharp, high, etc)

Third test:

test 037 cables with custom cable, star quad, anticable wire, and special cable against 037 cable with just mil spec wiring. see what if any cable alters the sound.

TV test:

plug the cable into your conditioner and tv and see if the picture gets better. same goes for the cat 6 cables.

so you know, the special cable i made is: 4 conductors of 15awg solid core, silver plated wire. 2 conductors are twisted together (12 twists per foot) to make 1 12awg conductor. then each conductor is inserted into a tigon tubing and twisted together. the conductors "float" in there making so there is no dielectric. anticables claim is their wire doesn't alter sound because they have a very small dielectric coating. we will see if that is true in a power cable. i do know this, more cushy insulating will dampen the sound, so the claim isn't far off.

after i do all the tests i am going to ship it to YOUTHMAN. after youthman is finished he is going to ship it to another forum member. the list will be in this first post. i have forgotten who asked, but if interested post/ pm, and i will add you. how it will go is, i'll test it and ship to youth, then he will ship to his friend, and so forth and so on. it will be on the honor society so i hope the cables don't disappear. i'd like to keep it to forum members. i think this test will be fun and informative.

Kit shipping list:

davis419b, Texas

Youthman, Florida

pete h, Ohio (now in his possession)

usnret, Texas

thaddeussmith, Texas

Paul (from Anti-Cables) WOW! Minnesota

cecaa850, Texas

ratcobob, Iowa

Aj01,Colorado

post-23806-1381952699175_thumb.jpg

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does no one else want to join in? did i mention it was free? just a shipping charge. then you will for once if it makes a difference or not. peace of mind.

Sure, I'll do it. Do I need one set or two? Just for the VRD-ST or for it and the Peach pre?

the kit will have everything you need to test what ever amp or receiver you have. if you have just a receiver then that's the only power cord you change out. if you have an amp and a receiver switch out the power cord of the amp that powers the front mains. it would be way too expencive for me to make double the power cords to test it that way. this kit is just so people and see if they hear the difference. then they can make a informed decision of going out and buying what ever brand they want.

update: the connectors are ordered and also the anticables wire. i was a little dissapointed that Paul from anticables didn't want to receive the kit. he said he was too busy. that was a nice blanket answer. we'll find out if his product is worth the added expence.

the kit will have everything you need to test what ever amp or receiver you have. if you have just a receiver then that's the only power cord you change out. if you have an amp and a receiver switch out the power cord of the amp that powers the front mains. it would be way too expencive for me to make double the power cords to test it that way. this kit is just so people and see if they hear the difference. then they can make a informed decision of going out and buying what ever brand they want.

Okey Dokey, I'll plug it into the VRD and see what happens, it is using a very thin, nadda power cable now.

the power cables are made! i posted the pics in the first post, but will add them here too. if you are looking at the top power cable, label them 1-7, here's what they are:

1- 4ea 15awg (=2ea 12awg conductors) pure solid core copper silver plated twisted (2 conductors twisted together {12 twists per foot} then the 2 insulated conductors are twisted. tigon tubing for insulator (conductors are floating in there).

2- anticables wire. 12awg twisted (12 twists per foot) continuous spun solid copper core. naked.

3- 12awg tinned copper stranded twisted (7 twists per foot). 95% tinned copper shield. 12awg ground wire soldered to shield. heat shrink over braid. teleflex outer protection.

4- 4 ea 14awg (=2ea 11awg conductors) tinned copper stranded twisted (12 twists per foot). star quad design. heat shrink. teleflex outer protection.

5-7 12awg tinned copper stranded twisted (7 twists per foot). teleflex outer protection.

the three cables coiled up are, 2 ea cat 6 shielded cables, 1 ea tv power cord.

tv power cord: 16awg tinned copper stranded, 100% shielded (mylar and braid). teleflex outer protection.

connectors: 079 (gold/gold) amber, 037 (silver/rhodium) blue, 046e (copper) orange

post-23806-13819539241888_thumb.jpg

post-23806-13819554688214_thumb.jpg

post-23806-13819567547558_thumb.jpg

i just had Davis419b over and i did a quick cable test. i am happy to say that a guy who did drag racing and worked around very loud equipment for most of his lifetime, could in fact hear a difference between the 079 and 037 power cable. usually people with hearing loss can't hear any difference.

the od thing was i liked the 037 when he was playing Kenny G, but didn't like it when i was playing my Cast in Bronze. maybe i'll have to do some more indepth listen tests. maybe it's just that one cd i don't like that way.

to put it in perspective, when i have to do hearing tests i range from 0-5. normal hearing is 25-30. i am assuming Davis is 40-50. so again upgrades all come down to what you can actually hear, that's all that matters.

i'll post when i do a final test and when the kit is going to get shipped out.

okay, i have to ask, how did you end up with 20? did you buy gold or silver ones? regular ones? if you bought regular ones, i wish you would have let me know. i have a couple of those laying around. they are the regular normal ones. nothing fancy.

well i am glad you got them anyway. show pics of the before and after. i was going to replace all my inlets with gold ones but decided against it for warranty reasons.