Free Power Cable Test Kit

InVeNtOr

And you know I was completely joking around. I have plenty of projects to keep me busy while I wait my turn. I have to get my Cornwall's soon so I can start playing with them. My friend in Pa. that picked them up called me last night after getting them hooked up to rub in how much he was enjoying them and I could take my time in getting them.

• Moderators

And you know I was completely joking around.

Yes I did. Most of us here in the forum enjoy joking around with each other. It's all in good fun.

My friend in Pa. that picked them up called me last night after getting them hooked up to rub in how much he was enjoying them and I could take my time in getting them.

Isn't that what friends are for? [:D]

And you know I was completely joking around.

Yes I did. Most of us here in the forum enjoy joking around with each other. It's all in good fun.

My friend in Pa. that picked them up called me last night after getting them hooked up to rub in how much he was enjoying them and I could take my time in getting them.

Isn't that what friends are for? Big Smile

Yes, it is. this is one of the people that I've spread the Klipsch infection to and gave him a deal on a pair of RF35s that he couldn't refuse. His GF came home from work and was about to give him a lecture on priorities after he put her on the phone with me to verify that they were mine and I wound her up for a few minutes telling her that I didn't have a clue what he was talking about!

you live close to me???!!!! you should have come over to do the test! i think this weekend i will have falcon and his friend. you can do the test with my equipement and then take it to your house and see how it works out there if you like. how close are you to my house?

nah. i have made that trip in 45min. my wife is a big fan of Coach outlet at the Allen Outlet mall. in fact i am a big fan too. one time in particular, i purchased my Furman 20pfi. it cost me $750. i told my wife that the "power conditioner" i was going to buy was going to be around $100. i at first was going to just buy the furman pst-10d but later decided on the 20pfi. i never told her what i bought. i took her to the Allen Outlets and told her to pick anything in the Coach store. after we walked out i dropped the new. it went over smoothly! i figured i was in deep s**t, but all was good.

have you eaten at Uncle Julios (across from the Allen malls)? best tex mex out there! i have one down here on Lemon (Dallas).

come on down anytime you like.

the funny part about the power cable test is, when you are checking to see if different wire alters sound, i thought the Anticables wires would be best. since i was checking for wire that didn't alter (dampen) sound the worse sounding cable should actually have the best wire. turns out, the Anticables wire dampened the sound enough that the 037 cable actually sounded good in my set up. just so it's out there, i HATE the sound of the 037 on my gear. rf-7's are harsh enough, they don't need any help! lol

it's kind of weird to listen to cables and the one that sounds the best (during test 2) is the one with the worse wire. that's how i interpreted it anyway. what i found odd was the best wire i could make (silver plated solid core copper) had the same impact as my standard twisted tinned copper conductor. it did show that with more additions to the cable (shield & heat shrink) it did dampen the sound a little. i guess the most clear and un altered is my standard wire. that does confirm anticables research, but not that their cable actually does what it says. i am glad too, it was a pain in the butt terminating those wires! i may have to redo my cables......again.

• Moderators

It's great that you are posting your findings but to be honest, it really defeats the concept of having different users test the same cables. By knowing your thoughts on the different tests, it could possibly taint their perception of what they are actually hearing. Just a suggestion.

i disagree ..i think everyone here that has involved themself in a cable discussion has at least owned up to the fact that cables sound different in different setups and to different ears. I think the end-goal of this exercise is the freedom of trying out some different materials before one goes out and buys the parts/completed cables for themselves. no more "i wonder if" or "wish i had tried" issues.

So while his observations appear to be conclusive, they certainly differ from what he expected (technical vs. perceptual knowledge) and will most likely differ from what each of us find. or not ..that's what we're here to find out.

won't your electrical wiring and electrical junction boxes be just as important?

That's a great question as when it all gets plugged in, it's generally a matter of 12 or 14 copper wire, running various distances with a different number of connections along the way back to the same basic panels that bring the current in on aluminum strands.

youth, i struggled with that the past few days. i didn't want people to "think" what they heard. then again, it was what my wife heard and not me. saying that, it also shows she likes the blended sound. it also came down for her she didn't like the 037 in my set up either. so to her, the stock sounded the best. she didn't really understand that all the 037 cables were meant to test only the wire and if it did or did not alter sound. i chose that connector because it gives some much to the highs that i figured it would be easier to distinguish the different tones.

like it was stated, different speakers, gear, wires, set up, settings, and room will make no 2 set up's be the same. this way you know for a fact in YOUR set up which sounds best.

everyone should know the "theory's" behind all the connectors and wire, but it still comes down to how it actually sounds once it's plugged in. there is also another fact that can alter this whole thing. not a single cable is broke in. i don't have that machine and i don't plan on buying 10 adapter at $10 a piece and plug them into my computer. but again, it's not about how good these sound, it's about do they alter the sound at all. after you find out if they do or dont then you have to make a guess which wire and cable would give you the best sound. for me to give everyone all the different combinations, i would need 30 or so power cords. i am just not that rich.

once it's determined what alters sound or not, i'd go back to the original 3 power cables (A,B,C) and see which one of those sounds the best. then i would refer to the findings in test 2 (C,D,E,F,G) and see what wire alters what and apply it to the connector. it will be a guess but it's better than reading a certain web site and going from there.

with the RCA's i just wanted to have an unchanged sound. now i know at best it doesn't change it. to me i hear more clairity and a touch more base. so i am happy and i will make 8 new cables. included in that will be a new subwoofer cable. off to ebay i go! Nakamichi rca's are on my list to buy!

i spoke to Jeff at Sonic Craft today. found out some info that surprised me. he told me during all the different listening tests he has done, silver isn't always harsh. he said that the lowest quality of silver (sterling) is harsh. then he said that another quality of silver is called "fine." that's harsh too. he said up until 4 9's silver (99.9999) it's harsh. he said at 5 9's it starts to become warm. he listened to 5 9's and 7 9's silver.

if you take that info and apply it to what i have heard in my house it makes sence. the purest conductor i have is anticables. i don't know the (9) value but it made the harsh 037 should better. i thought it "dampened" it, i was wrong (according to Jeff). the tinned wire (since it wasn't pure) came out harsh because copper is worm (if it's pure too). then adding the different layers of shield and heats shrink then damped it a little more. so all in all it made sence, i just had the reasons wrong. kinda neat that i got results i should have when i didn't know what they were actually suppose to be.

well anyways, more food for thought. less pure = more harsh and more pure = warm.

just dropped the kit off to davis419b. he's going to do the test with his cd player and vintage receiver. i have to say this, a standard dvd/cd player sounds no where as good as a dedicated cd player and a vintage receiver. it was amazing how much better it is. i also was a little speaker shocked looking at corner horns. i had never seen them in person, those are some big speakers!

hopefully everyone that ships out the kit will use tracking so we all know were it is and so it doesn't get lost.

i hope this sheads some light on power cords and what alters sound and if it is even worth paying for.

won't your electrical wiring and electrical junction boxes be just as important?

That's a great question as when it all gets plugged in, it's generally a matter of 12 or 14 copper wire, running various distances with a different number of connections along the way back to the same basic panels that bring the current in on aluminum strands.

I never saw this questioned answered. I'm curious as well.