Free Power Cable Test Kit

InVeNtOr

This is an interesting thread. I bought into the Monster Cable hype years ago and have since disregarded cables as making a difference, especially power cables.

I'm using the standard power cable that came with my Emotiva amp but now I'm curious about switching it out to see if I can personally hear an audible difference. Is there something I should look for in what the cable or connectors are made out of? What is the least expensive cable I could buy that would be considered an upgrade from what I have right now?

okay, i have to ask, how did you end up with 20? did you buy gold or silver ones? regular ones? if you bought regular ones, i wish you would have let me know. i have a couple of those laying around. they are the regular normal ones. nothing fancy.

well i am glad you got them anyway. show pics of the before and after. i was going to replace all my inlets with gold ones but decided against it for warranty reasons.

let me know if i wasted $15 ..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370312462065&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

This is an interesting thread. I bought into the Monster Cable hype years ago and have since disregarded cables as making a difference, especially power cables.

I'm using the standard power cable that came with my Emotiva amp but now I'm curious about switching it out to see if I can personally hear an audible difference. Is there something I should look for in what the cable or connectors are made out of? What is the least expensive cable I could buy that would be considered an upgrade from what I have right now?

wuzzzer I recommend you get on InVeNtOR's "test list" then you can test it out for yourself before you buy. If you like the result have InVeNtOR build you a custom cable or build one yourself.

first i agree with rich guy! [Y]

it's hard for me in my position to say what will change what. that's why i made the kit. it's done i just have to do the full test myself. right now i am working on getting a new roof and my car repaird. (hail damage) i have been a little tied up lately.

power cable prices very by a whole bunch. i don't know what would be a good buy or a good choice because depending on your gear the type of power cord will change. in my case a 037 it just too "high." it really makes my system harsh. if you used it, it may sound the best. all depends.

if you like i can add you to the list and you can see (hear) for your self.

no. you got way more than you need. i have those sitting in my office. they are cheap, non plated. they will work just fine. i was going to swap mine out with gold, but decided not too.

i know ..but it was either 5 of these from taiwan to parts-express to my house for $10 or 20 from taiwan straight to my house for $10.

thaddeussmith,

i understand. you didn't get ripped off, it's just one of those things. it should work out really well for you. how are you going to mount it? take your receiver apart and cut that iec inluet out? using a dremmel? if i wasn't going to sell my 805 i would have replaced mine. i was even going to swap out my LPA-1 but like i have said several times, i didn't. i am hoping one day i will build up the courage and do it. i think once i get some good tools for another purpose i will. right now i don't have anything i would tackle that job with.

something to look for in power cables:

1. the plating on the connectors. gold = warm, silver/ rhodium = bold, copper = warm. (that's why i bought a copper connector this time, want to see if there is a difference between a 079 and 046e)

2. gauge of wire. 12awg (IMHO) should be the largest diameter. you house wiring is 12awg so having a 8awg 2' at the end won't do much. plus the connector itself is a 15amp. a 12awg wire allows for more than 15amps.

3. type of wire. pure copper corrodes. tinned copper doesn't. silver plating doesn't but costs.

4. insulation. "squishy" "thick" "heavy" insulation will dampen highs. the less insulation the better. teflon is usually the best (most people's opinion).

5. stranded/ solid. stranded is flexible and solid isn't. (we will see if they make an audible sound in a 3' power cord).

6. twisted. more twists better capacitance. better emi/rfi protection. power cables in a normal setting don't need shielding the Hz is too low, and the distance way too short. also the power is too low to make a difference. i of course do need shielding (see my ET photos). quad star (4 conductors) is suppose to be the best shielding without adding a braid.

7. shielding. if you need it or not. doesn't have to be 100%. see #6.

8. cost. if it's more than $100 it better wash your car too. a crossover upgrade is still the single best investment.

9. power cables only enhance the sound of your gear. tone it down a bit, give it more punch. stuff like that. it does make a difference, but it won't take a "crappy" sound and turn it into "gold." the best attribute is clarity. you do get a more clear sound.

this is again why i made this kit. so people can spend around $10 get a bunch of differnet cables and style of wire and see if they hear the difference. all they have to do is ship it to the next guy or girl. i hope it goes over well. i also want to put this out there, i didn't make this to see if i can make money. i am actually doing this just so my fellow forum members can put some of the "snake oil" claims to rest and see what these can do. if people do like the cords and would like me to make them some, than that's cool, but i am not out to start a new small business.

I'll be modifying my carver m-1.0T ..and yes, most likely using a dremmel to cut a hole for mounting the socket. I've already changed the db level LED's to blue on this thing and am in line for a June spot to have it MK II'd by RichP. Everything else has IEC sockets, but since this is what drives my mains, I need to get it converted over for the sake of using these power cables.

okay, since i am a wire/mod freak i have to ask. what is "MK II" mod all about? have you thought about upgrading your RF-5 crossovers?

I have, just don't know where to start or the budget to do it right now. I've searched and search, but only find people doing the 7', and then i wonder what sort of sound issues I'll run into by upgrading my RF-5 crossovers and not the RC-7 ..or the RC-7 and not the RF-5's ..or upgrading all 3 ..

RichP's MK II mods .. looks like the waiting list has extended to 4/23/2011 ..busy guy for a hobby endeavour.

it's easy for the crossover upgrade. do both the RF-5 and RC-7 at the same time. simply replace all the caps and resistors on the HF board for the most basic upgrade. you can do like me and take it a step farther. upgrade to 2 gold binding posts, eliminate jumper wires, and silver solder if you like. i can say this, the silver solder does nothing. i am about to, maybe, redo my crossovers and basically start over. i plan and doing everything from terminal connectors to LF board.

you can get the diagram from klipsch. they will e mail you the pdf drawing.

that's a cool mod. so basically strip out your old amp, replace, re-cal, re-test, and make it better. sweet! just the thing i am into. add in a gold or silver iec outlet and rock on!

here's another view. when i get some more time i'll post the specs. of the cables. i know off hand the coax one is 75ohm, 16 capatance, -90db shield rating, and silver plated center conductor.

IF YOU SHIP THEM.............WE WILL PLUG THEM IN! LMAO, I LOVE TO SEE PEOPLE AS ANAL AS ME, ON DIFFERENT THINGS! YOU ROCK, KEEP THE PICTURES COMING! (That just got me taken off of the test list..............shi^) [:D] Keep in mind, I'm looking at 25" of snow, so my brain is not working properly.

NO SOUP FOR YOU! LOL J/K

i just did 1 round of tests with my wife. i let her decide what sounded what to her. i am shocked! some tests i figured wouldn't make one bit of difference, BOY WAS I WRONG!

first off, the RCA's had a much better result than i hoped for. i was only doing those so i could terminate my RCA's in a more direct line and make the route "more pretty." if you haven't seen the back of ET center, then that won't make sense. my wire freaks out there get me.....lol

i was happy to find out they all 3 sounded different, and for the better. i am going out and buying me more RCA connectors! i used all i had to make these "test cables."

i was also shocked at the fact the WIRE ALONE, made a difference. sometimes not always good, but a difference. i knew the different cables would, but i didn't think the wire would make a difference i could hear, or my wife for the matter. now i have to figure out which wire and which connector i want to re-do everything with.

i was also a little taken back by the fact she like the stock power cord the best because it "blended" the sounds together. that's exactly what all of us try to avoid. we (for the most part) want to separate sounds and pick out different instruments. then again, that's why i made these, it's not who has the best material, wire, construction, it's what SOUNDS the best to you.

anyways, i am going to try and get a freind over here to do another round before i send this out into the world. Youthman, i may skip you and send this to Davis, only because he lives near me. he then will ship it to you. sorry buddy i hope that doesn't make you mad.

Youthman, i may skip you and send this to Davis, only because he lives near me. he then will ship it to you. sorry buddy i hope that doesn't make you mad.

I think you should ship to the N.E. first and then ship them south. It's been proven that when doing critical testing of metals that the only true information that you can get is if they are first cold and then warm. I really didn't want to be first on the list, but in the name of science, we should consider all of the facts. When are they coming to me?[:D]

patience youung grasshopper. hopefully everyone on the list doesn't take forever to do the test. for me it was hard enough to get some piece and quite. with a hail damaged roof and car, not to mention work, i just didn't have any free time. i asked a friend over tomorrow and hopefully he comes. if not i'll have to contact davis and see if either i need to deliver or he can come get it.

• Moderators

Youthman, i may skip you and send this to Davis, only because he lives near me. he then will ship it to you. sorry buddy i hope that doesn't make you mad.

Mad? I'm not mad.....I'm totally ticked!!!! Haha. Just kiddin. [:P] Feel free to ship it wherever you want to first. To me it would make sense to try and map it out so that it travels as little as possible between testers so that it will keep the cost down for each person. Just a suggestion. It doesn't matter to me where I end up on the list. I know that willand is close to me so it would be ideal to keep us together.