Free Power Cable Test Kit

InVeNtOr

i didn't answer because i thought jacksonheart was being his normal self and posting something funny.....however i can provide an answer.....

for me and you (cecaa850) it doesn't matter if our house has 20awg wire. we both have the best power conditioner on the market. as it pertains to a sonic issue, the furman gives us a neutral sound. we both get 55 peak amps at our disposal.

if you don't have what we have, well then thats a different issue. if you have 14awg wire, well you would most likely have a "muddied down" sound. you may never hear that, but that is what is "should" be. if you have 12awg you should be fine, unless you have 3 amps, processor, 2 subs, plasma, dvd, ps3, cd, cable box, etc all plugged into 1 circuit. in that case you will most likely have an issue.

i have a dedicated line. no connections, splices, (anything near what the pic shows!).

so yes, if you house is wired by an idiot and is at best 14 awg, then you will have issues with a system that is more than 1 receiver and 1 sub.

that is my opinion. i hope i didn't anger anyone. it's a simple matter of how many amps you line can supply. smaller gauge, splices, connections, all reduce the amps. 20amps alone in a normal set up (1 amp, 1 receiver, 1 sub, plasma, dvd, etc) is straining it enough, during certain scenes of a movie. that's why i alwasy recemmend a furman 20pfi to anyone with at least what i have listed in my sig, let alone the people who have much more.

if you have 14awg wire, well you would most likely have a "muddied down" sound. you may never hear that, but that is what is "should" be. if you have 12awg you should be fine, unless you have 3 amps, processor, 2 subs, plasma, dvd, ps3, cd, cable box, etc all plugged into 1 circuit. in that case you will most likely have an issue.

Thanks for the response. Playing devils advocate here, but yet not doubting your findings.

If your HT contains all the above restrictions and load on the circuit, how would a better power cable compensate for a lack of supply wire size or too much of a load. Again, I'm not doubting your findings, just trying to put it all together in my head.

Thanks, Carl

no you had it right. in the case of the picture only (the electrician) the furman basically makes "everything allllll right." in regards to the power cord, all those are doing is altering your final sound. i don't know if the 12 awg itself is doing anything, i use that gauge because that's the same gauge in the walls. to me it makes no sence to have 12awg in the walls and 8 awg power cord. not only (to me) is it a waiste of money, but the connector them self are only 15amp rated. so no matter what gauge your power wire is you are limited to 15 amps from the wall.

the power cords sole purpose are to alter your finished sound. it can be either warm or harsh. i can also get it some where in between.

they are not meant to help current flow. if they do, then cool.

i used the wrong word. "harsh" isn't correct. the siliver is more bold, bringing up the highs more.

glad that made more sense. the gauge of the wire only helps with amps but i am sure when the manufacture builds the unit they make sure the power cord is the correct size.

all you need to be concerned with is: the plating on the connectors, purity of wire, type of wire (copper or silver), type of insulator. those are the main factors that alter the sound. i didn't put in shield and heat shrink because they do dampen it a little, but if you need a shielded cable then it's a mute point what it does to the sound (Imp).

if you like, you can be added to the list. a fellow texan is last so far.

so hows you furman working out for you? still love it? i guess it's one of those things you don't notice until it breaks.

thaddeussmith, i meant you were correct about the furman compensating for any wiring issues (low amps, etc) and that (mine) power cables are there to add color to the sound.

i also added rca cables to the kit. kinda neat to mix and match with power cords and rca's.

have you purchased an shielded power cord for your tv yet? if not, you are missing out. you kuro would look so good with one. i know, my lg plasma looks like how a kuro looks in the store. with that furman and the cord, it's almost like i have a kuro on my wall. i am so happy with that furman. i love how everything turns off, and you are right about the progressive start up. thats way cool to have certain things kick on, then the amp powers up.

i wished we lived closer, i would love to hear your 7's with your gear. i can't wait until i get my UMC-1 to hear the difference. i was hoping you would want to be put on the list just for the tv power cord. you have so many amps that the power cord test might not be as spectacular as it could.

you guys have to see who just got added to the shipping list! i am so stoked! at first he said no, but i was just talking to him and he asked to be on it! it might have been since i told him i liked his wire the most. i hated terminating it, but it sounded the best. it's a 5N copper and for some reason i can't find it anywhere with in reason. i am not paying $8 a foot for some other peoples cables. i don't care how good they sound, i just can't do it.

have you purchased an shielded power cord for your tv yet? if not, you are missing out. you kuro would look so good with one. i know, my lg plasma looks like how a kuro looks in the store. with that furman and the cord, it's almost like i have a kuro on my wall. i am so happy with that furman. i love how everything turns off, and you are right about the progressive start up. thats way cool to have certain things kick on, then the amp powers up.

i wished we lived closer, i would love to hear your 7's with your gear. i can't wait until i get my UMC-1 to hear the difference. i was hoping you would want to be put on the list just for the tv power cord. you have so many amps that the power cord test might not be as spectacular as it could.

You're not that far away. Thaddeussmith lives up there by you and he's been by to hear the setup. I think he'd give it a favorable review[:P]. Of course he came by to pick up speakers but I wouldn't let him leave without listening to the 7's. Go ahead and put me down for a shielded power cord trial. I'll try anything once[:o]. If it makes that Kuro look better, I'll be absolutely amazed, but I'm open to the possibility.

it's most certainly worth the day trip (or weekend if you don't want to power through 12 hours of driving) to meet Carl and his family and absorb one's self into his primary setup. Plus, he has those bass bins he recently built, and some heresies he needs to demo. I'd be willing to set aside a Sat/Sun and pay for gas for the priveledge to tag along with anyone heading down that way :)

Plus, one or two more trips down to Beaumont gives us plenty of leverage for Carl to shag his butt up this direction ..

All I need is about 24 hrs notice and I'm good to go. Bring your favorite Bluray (or HDDVD if you got em) movies you want demo'ed and any CD's you'd like to hear through the KP-250's. Plenty of floor space if the need arises. Espresso provided if you've got to make it back the same day [C] .

you have been added. i would love to hear about what you see different in the Kuro.

when i put where you live in Map quest, it said over 4 hours. i guess i am a lazy k-head. it could also be i hate drivng. sounds weird but i really don't like driving much. drives here are plain mean. people get shot on these roads, seems like everyday. i usually set the cruise control on 60mph stick in the farthest rh lane possible and try to mind my P's and Q's.

although, hearing the 7's in your set up may just be worth it. i would have to convince the wife to let me have a weekend pass. there is no way i am making that trip in 1 day. any good hotels around there?

okay, just got some more info. the wife is reading this and she said she is tagging along! lol. i'll have to wait until i am not working 50hrs a week first. i want to make to Rudy81's house who is only an hour from me, and i still haven't made time yet. i am also putting my garage together, along with all the other projects i am doing. i just have too many irons in the fire! good thing is, once i start a project i usually get it done rather quick.

• 2 weeks later...