Vinyl Guru's.............HELP

artto

artarama.............is that an old Morgan I see on your avatar? Stick out tongue

Artto it's a Bugatti.

Wink Thanks

How about those new Bugatti Veyron, eh?

Yes it's a pretty impressive car...but for my money I would still prefer a Morgan, a sports car to me is ...open topped, manual tranny, non powered rack and pinion steering, and wooden steering wheel. Wire wheels optional...[;)]

artarama.............is that an old Morgan I see on your avatar? Stick out tongue

Artto it's a Bugatti.

Wink Thanks

Yes it's a pretty impressive car...but for my money I would still prefer a Morgan, a sports car to me is ...open topped, manual tranny, non powered rack and pinion steering, and wooden steering wheel. Wire wheels optional...Wink

Yep, I couldn't agree more!!!

Hey Rich. I THINK YOU MAY HAVE HIT IT ON THE HEAD [:D]

This is really ironic. In 1958, when stereo was introduced, my father bought a stereo record player for my birthday from Sears, a Silvertone. We bought our first two stereo records with it. One was Alvin and the Chipmunks (for me), and, the other was.....................(drum roll please) [<:o)]

you guessed it!

Frank Sinatra, Nice N' Easy. I still have it. [8-|] In fact just yesterday while perusing Music Direct for some LP's, I added the 180/200 gram virgin vinyl reissue to my wish list.

Artto it's a Bugatti.

Wink Thanks

Yes it's a pretty impressive car...but for my money I would still prefer a Morgan, a sports car to me is ...open topped, manual tranny, non powered rack and pinion steering, and wooden steering wheel. Wire wheels optional...Wink

And in the case of a Morgan a wooden chassis!

Hey Rich. I THINK YOU MAY HAVE HIT IT ON THE HEAD Big Smile

Spoke too soon [:(]

I checked and both the original and the Capitol reissue don't have as much space at the end as I hoped. It must have been some CES Show promotional or a classical recording set that I'm thinking of. GRRRR

And the 180gram Led Zeppelin Mothership 4 LP box set just arrived! I was hoping to solve this skating issue before it got here.Can't wait to hear this in all its glory [:D]

Have you ever tried to do that with a Decca Jubilee? (LOL).

Wow, I'd fogotten that that cart doesn't have the usual cantilever! That's supposed to be a phenomenal cartridge.

I guess I'd align the cart body with a protractor and then cross-check the grooveless LP with trial-and-error listening and tracking tests between channels, and any LP lead-in groove issues.

Hey Rich. I THINK YOU MAY HAVE HIT IT ON THE HEAD Big Smile

Spoke too soon Sad

I checked and both the original and the Capitol reissue don't have as much space at the end as I hoped. It must have been some CES Show promotional or a classical recording set that I'm thinking of. GRRRR

And the 180gram Led Zeppelin Mothership 4 LP box set just arrived! I was hoping to solve this skating issue before it got here.Can't wait to hear this in all its glory Big Smile

I would have given you a killer deal on my copy of Mothership! I think I played each side once then put it away. GRRRRR I really should give them another try though. Oh well, maybe someday it'll be worth something. Did yours come with the patch? What does a 50 year old guy do with a patch? I tossed my army jacket a long time ago and my jean jacket lost most of the buttons.[H]

Hmm, nope, no patch with mine. You must have lucked out.

I thought that might happen - there would be better ones out there. I didn't see too much on Music Direct and they seem to carry a lot of stuff, so I just ordered what looked to be the best option. But now I see it doesn't have Four Sticks. My 92LB Labradoodle, Ralph, comes racing down into the music room when I have WLUP The Loop on and they're starting the LZ radio program, they're playing Four Sticks as part of the intro and he starts running around the room like crazy. The dog loves Led Zeppelin (and Disney-type childrens songs). Go figure.

What I do remember from the Mothership set is how good the cuts from In Through The Out Door were. Detail I'd never heard before sounded amazing.

You can't get the LZ Classic Records pressings anymore without spending BIG bucks. You might have noticed I deleted that part of my post. That was cruel to post about the Classic pressings just when you got your new box set. Sorry about that. Very insensitive.[:$]

I'm going to play my Mothership LPs again tonight. Sometimes it's better the second time around. [:D]

I think my Zep classic records 200g pressings are the only LPs worth more then I paid for them. I wish I had bought 2 of every copy. I did break down and pay big bucks for II since I did not buy it on the first go round. They do sound great. I think I have most if not all of them except ITTOD and Coda. I have not even opened my Mother Ship box since I heard nothing good about it. Waiting for it to be worth something some day....but I doubt it. Gary, let me know if it sounds any better.

I so wish I dropped the $750 for all 10 zep LPs in 45 rpm format from Classic Records in the road case. Did anyone buy it? Sells for $3K or more these days. Looking back I could have probably sold my 33.3 LPs to pay for most of the cost of the 45 set. I just could not bring myself to drop the coin for LPs I mostly already had.

Artto, if you still need a large blank area I can send you one of my MFSL Nice n Easy copies....if you like it I will sell it to you cheaper then the going rate on ebay. I don't really need two copies. If you don't like it use it for your anti-skate testing and send it back.

I know this sounds nuts Rich but I'm seriously considering spending $89 for one of the last new copies of Presence. It's my favorite LZ LP and that Classic copy sounds so amazing. I can't believe I didn't buy it along with the others in the beginning. Maybe it was because I had your copy at my house all those months.

BTW - As far as Mothership vs Classic Records, MS is recorded at half-speed and is more detailed with a much quieter background. However, it definitely sounds thinner with less bass and is less dynamic. If you are the type who prefers the more natural sound of DCC pressings over the more EQ'd MFSL records, you might prefer MS to the Classic reissues. I happen to like the more dynamic sound of the Classic versions. JMHO.

I know this sounds nuts Rich but I'm seriously considering spending $89 for one of the last new copies of Presence...

That is not crazy by my standards. I paid $99 for a new LZII and that was in the scratch and dent category. I was buying it for the music quality not the collectability so I don't care about the 3/4" seam split. Still that is a lot of $$$ for an LP. Don't tell Carol [;)] The perfect new copies were 150+ or something silly. If you can still get Presence for $89 new, not used I'd jump on it. It really does sound great. At $44.50 a song it is worth it just for Achilles Last Stand and Nobody's Fault but Mine.[:D]

Just checked ebay. If you are late to the party no problem for just under $2K you can have them all in one shot...yea right.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Led-Zeppelin-Complete-Set-of-SEALED-Classic-Records-OOP_W0QQitemZ110478722812QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_on_Vinyl?hash=item19b90b86fc

Gary, BTW Presence is $129 on ebay. Makes you crazy knowing you could have it for $29 at one time, no?[:@]

Somewhere around the second page I lost it as to whether you have a solution or not. Clearaudio do a test record with minute grooves on it for tracking and funnily enough I can't find mine either. Someone is going around the whole forum stealing these things I am sure. I am also fairly sure Shure do one (and that's not easy to write correctly with a whiskey in your other hand).

In my own defense I haven't had need of it in 5 years - linear tracker.

Arto, I looked through my collection of test records and I have one that may fit the bill.

It called the Cardas Sweeper Record, and is dated 1996 and appears to be different from the one Cardas is selling at present. It has the following tracks:

1. Blank Track

2. System Degaussing Frequency Sweep

3. System Degaussing Frequency Sweep

4. Plateau for Tone Arm Adjustments

5. Inverted Frequency Sweep

Sadly there are no instructions but the record is mint. I would be happy to lend it to you but would want it back.

The latest Cardas appears to not have the Blank Track.

Also, I've found the Telarc OmniDisc testing kit. It has two lps of test, music and a blank side used in cantilever alignment , null, azmuth etc. This lp uses a 100hz sweep two tone intermodulation band for adjusting anti-skating and is very useful. (A present to me from fellow Forum but MIkeBse2A3 which has come in very handy.) I'd probably recommend OmniDisc as the best all-around one ever made, but how frequently they come up on the bay or elsewhere is anybody's guess.