What Do I got Here...???

oldenough

Speaking of the Box. In the Last picture of the Horns, was that the camera flash overexpose , What is the Green stuff on the Wood?

Natural aging, or the M word ?..............

Hey Bill, Yeah I thought it was M***d when I first opened the cabinet, but no it is actually black and permanent, maybe something to do with the glue when making the plyboard??

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Guys, Now one more piccy...I know you will all like this one, it's the speakers internals.... Man!!... there's more chrome in here as well. they sure new how to build stuff back then, make it real pretty and then hide it away inside a box. That woofer is humongous....and more chrome than a fifties Cadillac.

MMmmmmm Alnico!!!

That is the same motor unit and chrome basket as the second series EV 15W-K that I have a pair of that was orriginal equipement in a K-Horn back in the day. I think they sound the best of the 5 different orriginal types of K-Horn woofers that I own.

Roger

Those same crossover components, midhorns, and tweets appear on the Boston Craigslist periodically along with the 12" woof. That sale has been re-posted several times over the last year... It turns up in my standard searches, if you need I'll keep an eye out.

Great Picture Oldenough! Hell, it looks like it could have been made yesterday! Yes

I too think that is the Best $175 you've ever spent!! I bet it has a Sweet Warm Sound to it! Do you know what year it was made?

Thanks for the new pic,

Dennie

Dennie,the Gentleman bought it in 1956, he paid the princely sum of $1250, plus $525 for the TV that matched it. NO! I didn't get the tv..wish I had. The store I bought it from has just given me all the paper-work/manuals for it along with the price he paid.
You could buy a new Chevy for $1250 in 1956!

A fantastic pickup!

Herb

Wow! I haven't seen an EV Regency for almost 40 years. EV used to sell the plans for this speaker until the mid '70s. A friend of mine who worked at a furnature maker built a pair using hard rock maple table top rejects. They were awesome. I owned the 12" baby brothers the Arisocrats.

Thanks for all the comments, I've now gone thru everything now..de-oxit and lubed all the controls, given the turntable a thorough cleaning and lube and it has made a REAL difference. This truly does sound nice. I feel reasonably confident in the amp and pre/tuner, nothing is getting hot, no hums or crackles. I get the feeling that the previous owner looked after this and understood the workings of it. The biggest surprise is the turntable, though I'm sure it dosn't perform as my Rega does, apparently this t/t was the "audiophile option" it does sound nice and the operation of it is a thing of amazement when you use the auto-changer. It works with watch like precision. I have ordered a new stylus and look forward to more improvements. The speaker most certainly holds it's own up against anything I have owned, and I still do think it would make a good partner as a centre channel flanked by La Scalas. Maybe I should have held on to mine....[;)]

this thread is about to get even more interesting....

-Pranced Dolphins

Lol...Not really...The ad served its purpose very well and got me the information I was after...If someone had offered or does make an offer I can't refuse then maybe I'd sell it. I will say that I have had some interest in buying it, and some VERY interesting offers of trades. As it is I am very happy to keep it and I'm enjoying using it. Especially as the best offer so far was only $800.

John, all you needed to do is ask. The C500 will ballpark around $400 to $500, unless it is a good day. The real rarity is the matched Korena set with the console - I have never seen a pair before yours.

In the right market(California) and with the right buyer(a mid century collector in an Eichler ranch) who needs a mono setup, I would not be surprised to see it hit $2K. The key is to find a buyer who is collecting a mono rig for its furniture aesthetics.Korena is a hard niche to sell into these days.

It would be a shame to sell it to a stereo collector - you could cut that $$$ in half - and they may not hold on to it, or gut it.

John, all you needed to do is ask. The C500 will ballpark around $400 to $500, unless it is a good day. The real rarity is the matched Korena set with the console - I have never seen a pair before yours.

In the right market(California) and with the right buyer(a mid century collector in an Eichler ranch) who needs a mono setup, I would not be surprised to see it hit $2K. The key is to find a buyer who is collecting a mono rig for its furniture aesthetics.Korena is a hard niche to sell into these days.

It would be a shame to sell it to a stereo collector - you could cut that $$$ in half - and they may not hold on to it, or gut it.

Hi Dave. I certainly was not suggesting a lack of input on this forum, the five pages of interest is testament to that. In fact I did ask, but I would guess that like you no-one else had seen this combination before. I personally was of the opinion (after a bit of research) that this could be very collectable in the right market, and like you, I believe it could fetch a decent price from the right buyer. Judging by the input I have received from the ad on Craigs List if I were to split it I could probably realize approx $1300. I absolutely will not split it up, for one thing I would have to contend with the wrath of my wife...[;)

She thinks it is something very special as a piece of furniture and would be very happy for me to duplicate it as our main system, I think it has something to do with the glass tops and the fact they go into a corner. In other word they would make great places to place knick-knacks and potted plants.lol. It also helps that even as a mono set-up it sounds remarkable. I hope I don't get flamed for this ...but..I much prefer the sound of this speaker to my recently departed La Scalas, and would love to hear a pair of them, of course they owe much of their design to PWK. Thanks for the input Dave, and I apologize for any mis-understanding...

.John