What Do I got Here...???

oldenough

Great Picture Oldenough! Hell, it looks like it could have been made yesterday! Yes

I too think that is the Best $175 you've ever spent!! I bet it has a Sweet Warm Sound to it! Do you know what year it was made?

Thanks for the new pic,

Dennie

Dennie,the Gentleman bought it in 1956, he paid the princely sum of $1250, plus $525 for the TV that matched it. NO! I didn't get the tv..wish I had. The store I bought it from has just given me all the paper-work/manuals for it along with the price he paid.

Wow, you got the paper work too? Very Nice!

$1250 plus $525 for the TV, that was not chump change back then. That is Top Of The Line Stuff, I would imagine.

Good for you! Luckily for you, you don't have a pair of La Scala's taking up room space.........Right JIM!!! [*-)] LOL[;)]

Thanks for sharing it with us and taking all the pictures. That is one sweet find and the condition is remarkable, for it's age!

Dennie

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are cool speakers. I used to have a pair in mahogany. At one time, for a while I had them stacked as a huge center speaker between the Khorns. Looked really awesome, but the timbre difference between the speakers eventually led me to buy a Belle. Cool stuff though!

Well then, the question remains.........are you going to rebuild the Crossover?!?!?! Wink

Dennie

Morning Dennie...Crossover?? I can't even find how to get into the cabinet. Anyway if it ain't broke why fix-it?....Wink

"I can't even find how to get into the cabinet"

Try the bottom of the cabinet.

NO! I didn't get the tv..wish I had.

I can see the attraction of the music rig, it can be used today and still sounds sweet but what would you do with an old CRT TV? I'm sitting here watching my HD TV, I don't see getting any old 4:3 TV. Smarten me up why the TV?

Thanx, Russ

I can see the attraction of the music rig, it can be used today and still sounds sweet but what would you do with an old CRT TV? I'm sitting here watching my HD TV, I don't see getting any old 4:3 TV. Smarten me up why the TV?

Thanx, Russ

well it was matched up in the same cabinet work and apparently it still worked.....apart from that...no good reason.

Thanx, Russ

well it was matched up in the same cabinet work and apparently it still worked.....apart from that...no good reason.

Yeah, the "Matching Set" part of it would be Cool. But, like Russ said, I don't think it would be the "go to" TV. Although, having the Superbowl on it would have a Very Nostalgic Factor and I might have to keep watching, once I started! [:|]

Dennie

Great score and beautiful pieces, just a bonus they work and sound good!

Congrats!

Thanks DB... Well I know we all like pictures so Iv'e pulled the amp out to give it a clean-up and check for leaks or ?. So I took the opportunity to take a pic to post

Oh mama that 500 is PERFECT!!!!!! Now you should find its long lost brother :)

Very cool rig! I would double check the power cord to make sure there are no breaks or exposed wire. Plug it into a power strip and fire her up, keeping your finger on the switch. Make sure you can see the tubes so if one starts to glow a pretty red or you hear some popping or see some smoke, you can FLIP THE SWITCH! Oh, have a fire extinguisher handy, just in case!

Man, that stuff is like museum quality.

What does the old turntable have for a cartridge? Might be a old GE cart or something. You might be able to find a stylus.

Give the TT a little TLC, and that would seem like a fine mono rig thanks looks new. Ain't nuthin' wrong with mono, it was high fidelity before stereo.

Hi Mike, I was just looking at the cartridge there are no markings on it to indicate make or model, but scribbled on the "notes page" of the owners manual is a list of the options he was going for with this system. It would seem that his choice for cartridge was a GE RPX, heres a photo, maybe you can recognize it before I have to remove it from the headshell. Hmmm I wonder if I can easily get a new stylus?

post-21054-13819554733494_thumb.jpg

the Gentleman bought it in 1956, he paid the princely sum of $1250, plus $525 for the TV that matched it. NO! I didn't get the tv..wish I had. The store I bought it from has just given me all the paper-work/manuals for it along with the price he paid.

Adjusted for inflation, that is almost 10 grand today.

the Gentleman bought it in 1956, he paid the princely sum of $1250, plus $525 for the TV that matched it. NO! I didn't get the tv..wish I had. The store I bought it from has just given me all the paper-work/manuals for it along with the price he paid.

Adjusted for inflation, that is almost 10 grand today.

Hi JB, yes I hadn't thought about that...That's more than the majority would pay even today, and probably more than most of us here would put into our systems. So I wonder if there is a market for this system out there?? It's probably worth more than the $175 + $5 delivery that i paid LOL. Anybody have any thoughts on value of it, or want to hazard a guess??

Hi Mike, I was just looking at the cartridge there are no markings on it to indicate make or model, but scribbled on the "notes page" of the owners manual is a list of the options he was going for with this system. It would seem that his choice for cartridge was a GE RPX, heres a photo, maybe you can recognize it before I have to remove it from the headshell. Hmmm I wonder if I can easily get a new stylus?

It does appear to be a GE RPX.

http://members.myactv.net/~je205d/mono.htm

I don't know what to say about the needles on that cart, or if they can even be replaced without having to get another cartridge.

You may be able to mount a modern mono cartridge in that headshell........maybe.....

EDIT: They did have replacement clip-in styli for GE RPX. Now if they are just still around.......

Thanks Guys, Now one more piccy...I know you will all like this one, it's the speakers internals.... Man!!... there's more chrome in here as well. they sure new how to build stuff back then, make it real pretty and then hide it away inside a box. That woofer is humongous....and more chrome than a fifties Cadillac.

post-21054-13819539421596_thumb.jpg

post-21054-1381955493756_thumb.jpg

post-21054-13819567767486_thumb.jpg

Man!!... there's more chrome in here as well. they sure new how to build stuff back then, make it real pretty and then hide it away inside a box. That woofer is humongous....and more chrome than a fifties Cadillac.

Too funny. "make it realy pretty and then hide it away inside a box." So true. Very nice looking stuff. Probably a museum piece.

Very nice score. And you say they have the matching TV that still works? If it's in this good of shape maybe you should buy it if for no other reason than to sell it to a collector - if you could bare to part with it.

Man!!... there's more chrome in here as well. they sure new how to build stuff back then, make it real pretty and then hide it away inside a box. That woofer is humongous....and more chrome than a fifties Cadillac.

Too funny. "make it realy pretty and then hide it away inside a box." So true. Very nice looking stuff. Probably a museum piece.

Very nice score. And you say they have the matching TV that still works? If it's in this good of shape maybe you should buy it if for no other reason than to sell it to a collector - if you could bare to part with it.

No unfortunately a member of the Gentlemans family had already disposed of the TV for him, I guess he had already moved on to a colour set, and the B/W tv was thought to be garbage...Shame.