Rc-62 or Rc-64, What to do?

Sunroach

After months of looking and comparing prices I picked up my new HT system today. RF-62's fronts, RC-62, and RS-42's. My local dealer matched internet pricing so I pulled the trigger. I got the RC-62 for $350. However as I was waiting for them to bring up my speakers I find a floor model RC-64 marked down to $500. I am wondering if the 64 would be too much for my RF-62's. I am thinking yes, but what a deal on a 64. My AVR is Denon 790. What do you think?

After months of looking and comparing prices I picked up my new HT system today. RF-62's fronts, RC-62, and RS-42's. My local dealer matched internet pricing so I pulled the trigger. I got the RC-62 for $350. However as I was waiting for them to bring up my speakers I find a floor model RC-64 marked down to $500. I am wondering if the 64 would be too much for my RF-62's. I am thinking yes, but what a deal on a 64. My AVR is Denon 790. What do you think?

IMHO, the center channel is so important in movies because it delivers the majority of the sound, I would have the best center I could afford. Either one is going to sound great, but it would be nice if you could hear both of them to see if it sounds better to you, enough to justify the investment.

• Moderators

IMHO, the center channel is so important in movies because it delivers the majority of the sound, I would have the best center I could afford. Either one is going to sound great, but it would be nice if you could hear both of them to see if it sounds better to you, enough to justify the investment.

I'm with Pete there. Who knows, one day down the road, you might decide to upgrade your RC-62's and you would already have the best Reference Center channel at a great price.

Try this, ask your dealer if you can take it home to compare it. I've heard that dealers are usually willing to do this. Worth asking. Then you would know for yourself if it is worth the upgrade.

I'm going to agree with Youth and Pete... I don't use the "recommended" center for my set-up, and I gotta tell you, I'm pretty darn happy. I got a really good deal on my RC-64, like you (around $500). At the time I was running a RC-35 ( predecessor to the RC-62) and it was a noticable upgrade when I switched. So much detail in the 64, you won't be sorry.

Plus, like the gentlemen said, it always gives you room to upgrade those fronts![;)]

PS- You'll be happy either way, this is a good problem to have!

i agree with what jrod said whom agreed with youthman and pete

i have rc7 with rf35's and i love it..

down the track you may find a super deal on rf83's

with the 64 you can always lower it by a db or half a db so the centre wont be overpowering..

EDIT.. last night I watched Apocalypto for like the tenth time and the sound to me is incredible.

I say get the RC-64. For $500.00, no brainer. Not a perfect match, but most won't notice. IMO, The RC-64 is the holy grail of center channels. Literally a tower speaker on it's side. The RC-62 is definitely no slouch but the RC-64 is that much better. Upgrading the center will lower your immune system where it will be very hard to fight the upgrade bug later. [:(] then [:D]

Bill

last night I watched Apocalypto for like the tenth time and the sound to me is incredible.

GREAT movie!!!

[Y] absolutely.. its all about inner strength.. just keep on pushing yourself forward as you never know what might happen.. if you can get past all the gore in this film you will see the absolute brillance in it.. it is one of my favs for sure,,,

ok - back to this thread.. yep.. if it was me I would get the 64 for sure.... hey that rymes [:D]

The 64 is the kick @ss- do all- be all- end all- refrence series center channel speaker without question. I went off the deep end to a ridiculious heritage setup and sadly I had to sell my 64. I really miss it. I will build another system in a 2nd room at some point around the 64 center. It is that good. Remember that a ton of your program material goes through the centet in HT mode. The RC 64 is totally upgrage proof unless you go to heritage horns. Buy the 64 tomorrow and do not let anyone talk you out of it.

I ran my RC 64 with an older set of Rf3s-also a new set of Rf 83sand it sounded great with both. It is not too much for your system. It will work with any reference setup at your lever or above. Buy it.The price is a no brainer

Well Winchester21 clearly encourages the RC-64 purchase. Does anyone else feel the RC-64 is a must? My current setup is as follows: Denon-2310, RF-5's and an RW-12D sub. I am looking at RS-52's for surrounds and either the RC-62 or RC-64 for a center. Will the 64 match best with the RF-5's? Can my Denon power it ok? Any thoughts and input would be appreciated before I make the plunge and spend all the money. Thanks!

HawkDeca-we have a very similar set up...I also have the Denon 2310, but my fronts are RF-7's. Looking to upgrade center, surround, and possibly sub. I had some of the same questions about whether the Denon can power it ok, or if it is a good match for the RF-7's. I used to think my Synergy series center channel was ok, until recently when I've decided it doesn't keep up with the fronts. I'd be curious to know what you decide. Seems like many people suggest going for the RC-64 with the RF-7's, including customer support at Klipsch.

I have a used rc-62 on the way. I upgraded from a rc-52, i am looking forward to that noticeable difference even with my older receiver. I paid $300 for the rc-62 it really wasnt a good price but i sold my 52 for $220 so $80 to upgrade was a no brainer for my rf-82s. Anyways, the way i see it if i ever find a rc-64 for $500 or less i will probably buy it and sell the rc-62 hopefully for around the price i paid for it. Okay do you see the moral of my post? " If i ever find a rc-64 for $500 or less i will probably buy it". What did you end up doing OP?