Cornwall Cabinets

Shockoman

I just bought a complete set of drivers + x-overs from a set of Cornwalls...probably paid way too much. The guy removed the parts and had auctions for each component set. He also auctioned off the cabinets but won't ship them out of his home town.

I've searched the forum and have seen mention of folks building KHorn cabinets from scratch, but no references to Cornwalls.

Does someone know of the availability of the specs/drawings for the Cornwall cabinets? The drivers appear to be of 74-75 vintage, Cornwall I's I believe.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Malcom

I e-mailed the seller to get some additional info about the mids & woofers, he told me about the tweeters, but he hadn't put them in the auction yet. He didn't tell me about the x-overs, I just happend to find them on my own on a hunch they would be in auction too.

I told him I would take them at his Bid Now price. As it turned out, I won the auctions for the rest of the components. Like I said, I probably paid too much, but I had nothing to use as a value gauge except what complete CW's had been going for and figured the components would be the most expensive pieces, if I could find the specs on the cabinets.

I recall the Klipsch site used to have components and prices on the old site, but not now.

I had hoped one of the posters I've seen here that appear to have plans and built K Horns, would also have done so with CWs or at least may have the plans but so far no responses. It looks like I will make a new friend in Fayetteville AR. He was gracious enough to offer me a look at his. I hope he won't mind me removing the back from his so I can get the measurements for the bass port and the inside volume of the cabinet.

Kind of a long answer for your simple question.

Bob

Fini,

I agree. What I am concerned about is the driver location, the bass port size at the bottom and the volume within the box.

What little I understand about speaker design leads me to believe that these items will effect how the speaker sounds. I want to emulate the CW sound as close to the original as possible.

Bob

Shock

I have the pricelist. It is 36 pages so I can't scan and post the whole thing. I looked through it and did not find a cornwall or Cornwall 2 section I suppose because they have been out of production so long. I do see Cornwall 2 listed in the individual driver sections. If you have a spacific item your looking for on the list - Let me know and I can look it up for you.

JM

If you didnt get the tweeters, i have a pair that need diaphrams laying around!

20 bucks each from EV!

As a 4 cornwall owner im sorry to say that you got a good deal,

Sorry to throw my 2 cents in!

The good thing is, find trak trix tweeters and use the, then you wont have to modify an original cabinet!

That pair of cornwalls in the oak cabinets, as beat up as they were, should not have sold for any more than $600.00 in one piece!

Let us know the come abouts on this project!

Good luck bud

Jim

This message has been edited by Jim Cornell on 03-19-2002 at 09:31 PM

At this point, I wouldn't worry about the money already spent. It's only wasted if you don't follow the project through. I've built speakers before, and there is a lot of satisfaction that comes from it.

Jim,

Good to see you on board. How's the baby doing? By the way, you can get a sheet of masonite, spray glue, grill cloth, two Klipsch emblems, and some velcro tabs and make a perfect pair of Klipsch Cornwall grills.

Regards,

Andy

Shock, I'm with Andy ... Unless you paid a hideous amount of money, don't worry about it.

If you're building these from scratch, you would probably want to orient the sqauwker and tweeter vertically like they were done in the early Cornwall II's ... I've owned the Cornwalls both ways and IMHO think the imaging is better vertically. If the crossovers are the revered B series, you're in great shape. It's a wonderful combo.

There was another thread recently on Khorn construction, and some knowledgeable folks said MDF makes for good box construction (and apply an outer veneer of your choice). However, the Baltic Birch that Klipsch used is nice, esp. if you get a clear (no knots) outer layer. You can stain and clear coat (or oil and stain), but be sure to pre-condition any soft wood like birch before staining (Minwax makes a preconditioner, as do other manufacturers).

Good luck, and post photos of your progress!

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

AES AE-25 "Superamp"

AES AE-3 Pre-amp

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Jim C...guilty as charged re probably paying too much. I have been cruising e-bay and other places for over a year looking for a local (TX, OK, KS, AR) sale..none to be found. Most of them are in the metro areas on the left and right coast. The last few examples have been going for over $1K plus shipping. 1 set went for over $1800 not too long ago. I paid under $1K, including shipping,for the entire package w/o the cabs. The way I have to look at it is I bought vintage drivers and superior x-overs, ALK's notwithstanding, and let it go at that. Once they are in the cabs, they will never be out of my possesion, and I can say I built 'em!

Andy..thanks for the moral support.

Chris..the x-overs are "B" according to the seller. I have never seen the vertical config you are talking about. I have to assume you mean the drivers are mounted on the short side rather than the long side and stacked 3 high correct? So that would also make everything mount lower in the cabinet..Got any pics?

I suppose I could build both baffle boards and mount them either way and see which sound I preferred.

I was planning to use 3/4 plywood with a finish veneer..oak, birch or something like that already applied. That's why I was looking for plans so I could measure the INSIDE dimensions to make sure the volume of the box was correct. I understand the MDF used at the factory is 1/2 so if I use the outside dimensions that would effect the volume of the cabinet.

Wish me luck

Bob

Shockoman, congrats on your purchase!

Concerning the vertical hornED Cornwalls...

The horns are still mounted on the wide side of the cabinet, but the squawker and tweeter horns are aligned vertically as opposed to horizontally. This configuration seems to be preferred by most who have had an opportunity to compare with the "normal" horizontal mounting of the horns.

This message has been edited by edster00 on 03-20-2002 at 11:36 AM

Wow thats steep out there! Dam

Andy ill look into that thank you!

If you need K-77Ms i have 2 here that need diaphrams i also have a K-33-E vintage 80s emminence if one doesnt work!

And i did think its cheaper to build the cabs rather than send them i appologize you got a good deal, shipping those would run around 300.00!

Let us know what your ganna build?

Regards Jim

Bob,

If the Cornwall components you bought on eBay are the ones I think they are, I was able to look at them at the seller's house. He lives about a mile from me (Redondo Beach, CA.) and I was considering them for spare parts for my CW's. Everything seemed to be in excellent shape. In fact, while I was there he was replacing the tweeter diaphragms. They were not the Alnico type. Anyway, he was truly a nice guy and invited me in to his house to give a listen to his all K-Horn home theater system. It was driven by a 1970's vintage (I believe) Concept receiver. Talk about LOUD! It was incredible!

Anyway, good luck with the cabinet project and BTW his cabinets for auction were not nearly as rough looking in person as the photos on eBay looked. In fact, they looked better than mine did before I refinished them.

Now mine look nearly new. Shipping cabinets alone by truck couldn't cost more than $100-150 at most (I'm in the shipping business.). Maybe another pair of cabinets will pop up.

Regards,

Chris

PS I attached a couple inside photos of my pair.

------------------

2 channel

Klipsch Cornwalls (1978)

Cary CAD 300SEI amp (WE 300B's, various NOS 6SN7's)

Arcam Alpha MCD cd player

Sony 5000F Tuner (1968)

HT

Klipsch KG2.5 (front & rear)

Klipsch KV2 (center)

Klipsch SW12 (sub)

Marantz SR700 receiver

Toshiba DTS DVD

JVC SVHS VCR

Sony Hi8 VCR

Jim,

Read your followup post. I appreciated your comments. I am a newbie when it comes to this stuff and the last thing I want to do is alienate myself from the knowledgable people that take the time to help the rest of us.

Although I have been "lurking" around this forum for a couple years, this is my first foray into actually participating. I have used the valuable comments from people like yourself to assemble my HT rig. It is all Klipsch Reference and I am extremely pleased with it's performance. It has started my 3 sons down a similar path.

I have now gotten the bug to put together a 2 channel system. I started this journey many years ago, but 3 kids and college changed my focus for many years. Now I have the time and can again focus on that target. Don't know if I want to go all the way back to vinyl, but tubes and the CW's are on the horizon.

So I will be seeking all the input I can from folks like yourself.

Thanks again

Bob

I agree with the posters that are recommending going with the vertical Cornwall configuation since this would give you better imaging. In addition, you might consider building in the Cornwall modifications from the Speaker Builder article inacting a more rigid cabinet with a few well documented steps. I would personally use the best baltic birch plywood you can find as most of the good horns employ this great wood. It would be superior to MDF for this application.

Allan Songer, a forum member, has the desired vertical Cornwalls and lives in LA. I am sure he would give you the exact dimensions on the cut outs for the vertical mid and tweeter horn drivers. Looks his name up; his email is listed. It would be well worth the trouble to do this right.

As for the Speaker Builder article, this is just an option. It looks very feasible and makes sense. I have the article on my hard drive and would be happy to send it your way just to peruse. It is not very difficult and only makes the cabinet more stiff and rigid.

If you got all the right drivers with the Alnico (besides the woofer which is even more rare) along with the original Type B crossover, you should be well on your way here. I believe Allan Songer uses the ALK crossovers but I happen to be a firm believer in the original Type B as they are very smooth and musical, and with good amplification of the tube variety, do very well.

Kelly

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 03-24-2002 at 09:34 AM

Jim..thanks for your offer of assistance. I'm sure I'll take advantage of it in the future.

Mobile..thank you also..I am not sure if the magnets are Alnico or not..how can I tell? Are they identified as such? 1 of the posters here indicated he saw the tweeters and they do not have the Alnico magnets. What is the benefit of having them over the other type? Can I substitute them at a later date?

I have finally seen the other speaker config for the CWs. The fellow I bought the speakers from sent me a note the other day with an attachement that included a picture of the CW's in the config that allows them to be placed on their side and still have the tweeter midrange config in the vertical position. Having seen it I am now sure I will build mine in the recommended config of tweeter-midrange-woofer top to bottom.

I would appreciate it if you e-mailed me the the article you mentioned on cabinet strenghtening. I am planning to use 3/4 plywood with an unstained veneer already applied. From what I can tell, the original cabinets are 1/2 MDF with an applied veneer.

Lastly, as I have been reading the posts on tubes and their benefits, I am puzzeled by the term NOS in describing some tubes vs others. Could someone help me understand what this really means and why the distinction...thanks

Bob