Vinly cleaning machines

winchester21

Seeking advice and recent sources/ prices for vinyl cleaning machines. Anybody looked recdently??? Budget 500-700/ Interested in Nitty Gritty or VPI. I am very busy and need something fast and easy to operate. Convience over price on this item. Have about 500 dirty records from the 70s- Never cleaned except with disc washer

Opinions and advice greatly appreciated as always.

VPI 16.5, the big A** bottles of MoFi cleaner (one heavy duty, one enzyme, one pure flush) and TWO MoFi brushes, one to scrub like hades and the other to rinse.

At least that's what I use. Got the VPI from Audiogon dealer that was willing to 'negotiate' and the accessories from elusive disc. While your at E.D. get a few packs of the MoFi rice paper inner sleeves for use after you wash those nasty thangs.

I had a nitty gritty that worked great but it was all manual. it was the entry level model. I bought the VPI 16.5 like the one that Dennis posted and I love it. I really like having the motorized turntable. Easier for me to use than the manual nitty gritty.

Both will do a great job

I bought a VPI 16.5 used for $300 about 6 years ago. So far its cleaned hundreds and hundreds of records with no sign of slowing down. I don't use it much anymore because I stopped going to thrift shops. Most of my vinyl these days is new and I stopped cleaning new vinyl a long time ago. Someone once told me cleaning new vinyl was a good idea but I decided that's a bunch of hooey made up by the folks who sell record cleaning supplies.

Pulled the trigger today on the VPI 16.5 new with warranty for 491.00 delivered from an authorized dealer found on AG.

Now I gotta review these threads and buy the other stuff.

THANKS for the greart advice and input.

Keep us posted on how you like the VPI, I am looking for a cleaning machine myself!

Herb

Pulled the trigger today on the VPI 16.5 new with warranty for 491.00 delivered from an authorized dealer found on AG.

Now I gotta review these threads and buy the other stuff.

THANKS for the greart advice and input.

Wouldn't swear to it Chris but I think that was who I bought mine from.

My mistake I just noticed the subject line; I doint eben no whaat VINLY is..[6]

Congrats on your purchase! It's a great machine and virtually indestructible.

Advice:

DO NOT use the crappy fluid or brushes they send with the unit (assuming they're the same I got with mine).

Either figure out how to make your own fluid or:

Call the Disc Doctor guy and use his stuff. You definitely want the rubber handled brushes, one for cleaning fluid and one for distilled water. All you need is two, then you can buy replacement stick & peel pads when they wear out. He also sells replacement stick & peels for your vacuum tube for about $4. Otherwise it costs about $25 to replace the tube when the pads wear out.

I'll post a link shortly.

That's advice from someone who's cleaned over 1,000 records on a 16.5. I'm sure others will chime in.

Edit:

http://www.discdoc.com/

Careful. He''ll talk your ear off. Don't let him talk you into buying more than you need and I don't bother rinsing my brushes in a pan like he suggests. I just make sure I keep the brushes separated and use one for fluid and the other for water if you decide to do a rinse cycle (which I highly recommend).

Thanks for the help guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! without your help- I would have been Totally clueless.

It amazes me with this forum- you can go from clueless to knowledgeable in about 1 day when you need to buy something and get up to speed on a unknown subject by posting a simple question