Ethanol in 2 Cycle Engines

Tarheel

• Moderators

Just a thought....what about Coleman gas for lantern's, years ago there were American " real name'' gas stations here that sold what they called "WHITE GAS", it was there premium gas, I used it in my car and it also worked well for the Coleman lanterns which require a good quality gas to burn correctly.

Just thought it might be a more pure gas and I guess about $3 a gallon ?

Just a thought....what about Coleman gas for lantern's, years ago there were American " real name'' gas stations here that sold what they called "WHITE GAS", it was there premium gas, I used it in my car and it also worked well for the Coleman lanterns which require a good quality gas to burn correctly.

Just thought it might be a more pure gas and I guess about $3 a gallon ?

It was gas without lead in it.

We have a Midnight Oil station here in Chattanooga that says their gas doesn't contain ethanol. Their price is about the same as the other stations in the area. I think the station close to the drag strip sells 100 octane, but I don't know if it is ethanol free.

Multi carb two stroke engines are always subject to unequal fuel/oil delivery problems between the carbs. I've gone through two V6 two stroke outboards on my boats due to problems related to carb/fuel issues. Keep fresh gas in your big motors.

On single carb two stroke engines I have always "run em dry" without issue.

Up here in the Great White North where our lawn equipment and other "Summer toys" sit for six months out of the year while the snowmobiles and snowblowers sit for the opposing six months, we run Stabil conditioner in every tank of gas. It has been reported to keep seals protected as well as keeping the gas from degrading. I use it in my '79 Vette (500 HP 454 ci) and never have a fuel problem. Also use it in my garden tractor, weed whipper, snow blower, lawnmower, roto-tiller, etc. Very cheap insurance!

Just a thought....what about Coleman gas for lantern's, years ago there were American " real name'' gas stations here that sold what they called "WHITE GAS"

White gas also used to be called naphtha gas, and was used primarily for stoves and lanterns, not for cars.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

White gas is a common name for two flammable substances. In its most common modern usage, it is used as a generic name for camp stove and lantern fuel, usually naphtha.[1]

White gasoline, also called white gas can also be a name for pure gasoline, without additives. This was commonly used when leaded gas was normal, to prevent fouling in situations where the properties of the tetraethyl lead additive were not required.[2]

So called "white" gas was clear, as opposed to "regular" octane which had orange dye added for identification, or hi-test "ethyl" which had purple dye added.

• Moderators

OK I had no idea what it really was, it was clear so it probably was the pure gasoline but probably had lead because it was back when unleaded just came out.....I guess....I know my car ran very well on it and it even got better mileage and it was only a few cents per gallon more and had a slightly different smell.

Then there's the Trailer Park Boys. Julian and Ricky set up an illegal gas station, supplied by the teenagers Cory and Trevor siphoning gas from any unattended car they could find.

Ricky's instructions to Cory and Trevor:

Ricky: Unleaded, blue container. Supreme, red container. Diesel in the green. Okay, are we clear here, guys?
Cory: Yeah, but how can you tell which is the Supreme?
Ricky: What, are you stupid? You f**kin' taste it. Unleaded tastes a little tangy. Supreme is kinda sour, and diesel tastes pretty good.

I'm all for using AVGAS, but there are a few caveats.

AVGAS is about 10% less dense than MOGAS, so the engine will run about 10% leaner. You may or may not have to adjust the carb.

AVGAS has 4.5gram/gal (a lot) of Tetraethyl lead. It *may* foul spark plugs.

It has a lower vapor pressure (so it doesn't evaporate at altitude) so the engine may not start easily in cold temps since it doesn't want to vaporize easily.

It also has no road tax on it, but does have Aviation tax that pays into the DOT fund for the airways. Neither matters to a lawn mower, but if asked, tell them it is for your ultralight you're building. Be sure to have a model and look up the popular 2-stroke Rotax engine model. Just in case.