Jimi Hendrix Albums

jamesV

James, if your into critical listening I would suggest new pressings. If your like me and a casual listener then I suspect good clean used copies would suffice. That's about what my whole album collection is. I see no reason to spend thousands on a TT for my old used records. On the other side of that same coin, I see no reason to spend big money on new pressings when good used stuff is available for my less than golden ear.

Which ones to get is a tough one. I think you need to decide on the tracks that you really want to have, and then search the albums to find out what the original cut was, or if it is grouped with other tracks that are included on a quality greatest hits album. I'm partial to Cry of Love as far as one of the albums that I can put on and enjoy every song....................but that's just me.

I have a bunch of originals and one new pressing. I bought the 200 gram Japanese pressing (Universal) of Axis Bold As Love, by far my favorite Hendrix LP. I also have a NM original. The original sounds excellent. The reissue, amazing. It depends on what you're after. I like to own the best available. Others aren't as picky.

Last I looked, there was a copy of the 200 gram version in the scratch n dent section on Elusive Disc's website. Universal also came out with a 180 gram version. I'm sure it's amazing also and slightly less expensive. Once they're gone, good luck finding a used copy. At $30-$35, a NM original isn't going to be much cheaper. Maybe even more expensive. I haven't looked.

This is the one I have. It was only $35 or less originally. It's quite amazing.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/38485/Jimi_Hendrix-Axis_Bold_As_Love-200_Gram_Vinyl_LP

Now there are a bunch to choose from. This might be worth a try:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/64177/Jimi_Hendrix-Axis_Bold_As_Love-Vinyl_LP_with_Damaged_Cover

Or you could wait for this:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/65680/Jimi_Hendrix-Axis_Bold_As_Love-180_Gram_Vinyl_LP

Assuming of course you like this particular LP......

The new Hendrix album, Valleys of Neptune, appears to contain a lot of previously unreleased material, so it's not a remastering of a previous album.

http://www.jimihendrix.com/

http://consequenceofsound.net/2010/01/11/new-hendrix-album-features-unreleased-studio-material/

http://www.spinner.ca/2010/01/11/jimi-hendrix-valleys-of-neptune-premiere/

JL, I know what you mean about a casual listener, that's me for sure. Only problem is where other then the Bay to find the albums and hope they are clean as they say. I know to check out the feedback on the sellers but with shipping and everything added up would it only be a few bucks saved? for that I would just opt for a new pressing that if someone is going to scratch up it's going to be me.... [:P]

Pete, I guess my problem is that I like his music no matter what. I just didn't know if one recording is better then another and if so which one to get. Looking for that vinyl that you mentioned, Cry of Love, I only found it on the Bay...

Gary, thanks for the heads up on those albums. How is everything going?

Islander, I seen that new album and I'm picking that one up but decided if I'm placing an order I should look to see about these new pressings.

Thanks for the feedback....

James

All my original Jimi vinyl kind of sucks so its time to ante up for new vinyl here too.

I think a good place to start is "Jimi Hendrix - Blues" (that's what I'm getting first). I bought it when the CD first came out. It's worth it just for the acoustic blues stuff on there (and you can have some fun with your blues afficionado friends with a "who is that playing"game).

Finally a topic that is right up my alley. First let me say that Jimi is not about sonic purity but more about the mix and the performance. With that in mind for the newbie Hendrix dude, you have to get "Are You Experienced" first, make sure you get the one that doesn't have any added songs you want a copy of the original, next is "Electric Ladyland", then "Band of Gypsies", then "Axis Bold as Love". That should get you started. Groove on.

Thanx, Russ

Art, Thanks for the heads up on the "Blues" album, I will have to check that one out.

Russ, So are you saying to look for clean originals of all those? I do have a few cd's from him but nothing on vinyl and that is always a different experience, then I noticed the new pressings coming out and had me thinking about picking some up.

James

Russ, So are you saying to look for clean originals of all those?

I only have experience with the originals on vinyl. I have no input for current releases. I did however buy a redone CD and it was a mess. The album had songs inserted on every other track and the mix was messed up. For a Hendrix beginner, you have to get the standard versions first.

Thanx, Russ

I think a good place to start is "Jimi Hendrix - Blues" (that's what I'm getting first). I bought it when the CD first came out. It's worth it just for the acoustic blues stuff on there (and you can have some fun with your blues afficionado friends with a "who is that playing"game).

"Blues" gets my vote also. For the acoustic blues AND the cut 'Born Under A Bad Sign'. That is an amazing version.

Blues is an outstanding on vinyl.As you can see by my avatar I have been a Hendrix fanatic for years.1983 A Merman I sould Turn To Be on Electric Ladyland is my favorite piece.Jimi was as much an innovator in the studio as he was an outstanding blues interpeter.When you consider he could neither read or write music mahes him even nore incredible.Machine Gun is my favorite guitar solo.

Boxx, thanks for the info on Band of Gypsys live album

Rivernuggets, thanks for another vote for the Blues album.

Johnlw7, thanks for yet another vote for the Blues album.

Looks like I have to get the "Blues" album if any other...

Thanks everyone for the feedback and help...

James

I only have experience with the originals on vinyl. I have no input for current releases. I did however buy a redone CD and it was a mess. The album had songs inserted on every other track and the mix was messed up. For a Hendrix beginner, you have to get the standard versions first.

Thanx, Russ

I have to agree with Russ on this

Hendrix is probably my all time favorite since I first heard Are You Experienced when it first came out

Start at the begining so you will know where he came from and where he went from there

just my .02 cents

Jim

Valleys of Neptune comes out march 9.I have a few songs on it.Sounds like it was well produced and enginerred by Eddie Kramer Jimi's original engineer

Yes I seen that it has on some song that have never been released before. One of the reasons that I started looking, and the reissue of the others ones on the same date. I figured since I already wanted to pick a few up this would be a great time to do so.

I will send you list of some Hendrix vinyl i have for sale if you want.

John, that would be great. I will send you a pm with my email address.

James

I only have experience with the originals on vinyl. I have no input for current releases. I did however buy a redone CD and it was a mess. The album had songs inserted on every other track and the mix was messed up. For a Hendrix beginner, you have to get the standard versions first. Thanx, Russ

I have to agree with Russ on this

Hendrix is probably my all time favorite since I first heard Are You Experienced when it first came out

Start at the begining so you will know where he came from and where he went from there

just my .02 cents

Jim

Russ and Jim,

Thanks for your help and which albums to get first. I am looking at getting a few albums to start with but when I go to listen to them I will make sure that I do so in order.

Thanks,

James

1983 A Merman I sould Turn To Be on Electric Ladyland is my favorite piece.

What, you too? Side C of Electric Ladyland is my favourite Hendrix side. 1983... is probably the most jazz-influenced Hendrix song of all. It's been said a million times, but you have to wonder what Jimi would be playing if he was still around today.