Denon receiver as preamp - What power amp for KLF's?

I finally decided on how to get the best sound and keep my HT and 2Ch setup combined for now. I'm going to use the Denon 2808 as a preamp and look for a seperate power amp.

First off...can I have some suggestions on which amp works best with KLFs?

Second...as far as pricing goes, should I look for a 2 channel amp and beef up the front 2 (since they will be used for 2 channel stereo often), or do I look for a 5 or 7 channel amp to take care of everything. Would I get a better amp if I spent the budget on a 2 channel amp vs a 7 channel amp?

I'd like to keep it around 500-700 dollars or so.

That Aragon is definitely a bad dude. 200 wpc into 8 ohms and 400 wpc into 4 ohms. Doesn't get stronger than that. They have a great sound too, I've heard one drive a THX system in a showroom. Very nice. The Parasound 2205 in Garage Sale is a winner as well but I don't think it's going to last very long.

You'll get a much better 2 channel amp for the money, than a 3, 5. or 7 channel amp.

Look for a nice stereo amp and that will give you the power you are seeking for your mains and your 2 channel set up.

Dennie

It really depends on what is your priority, 2ch or HT? If HT is a lower priority, then the Denon 2808 should be more than enough power. If 2ch is the priority, get yourself a 2ch tube amp.

Considering your budget, you've got plenty of options:

- Sunfire (both 2ch and 5ch) are in that range if you go Cinema Gran

- JWN tube amps, incredible value (price/performance)

The list goes on.....

• Like 1

I have a mint Denon PMA2000 which was their flagship 2 Ch integrated amp in 2006. It is sitting in its box as I don't use it. Very nice amp. It is a very clean 80 wpc. You can do a search and find these amps benched at over 160wpc and still met their distortion specs. $400.00 + shipping.

I've seen Behringer EP2000's powering KLF-30s in one forum member's system. Info

I think he just uses it for the bottom end. I wouldn't recomentd it for full range.

Yes, I use it on the bottom with great results compared to other amps I've tried.....especially for the price!

New tube amp should arrive on Thursday for the mids/highs. [Y]

Emotiva's UPA amps are within your price range. Have you looked into those?

wuzzzer can tell you how well his setup improved with a UPA-2.

The UPA-2 will get you into inexpensive external amplification. 125 real watts per channel should rock your KLFs big time.