HH Scott 222c.....

SWL

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All joking aside, I don't think tubes are superior to solid state. I've heard solid state amps that sound unbeleivable. This 222c just happens to be better than anything that I've ever had in my system. The sound really isn't "tube-like".......but on Tuesday a friend of mine is bringing over some other tubes that are supposed to make it so. Amperex and Bugle Boy tubes I think he said. The tubes in it now just sound so impressively realistic, articulate and without distortion.

All Joking aside, I have heard around here and other places, that tubes are Fantastic! I believe that they sound great and once you "go there" you won't be going back. I would love to have a nice Tube pre and amp someday, to at least check out what all you "Crazies" are talking about.

But for now, I am content with the best sounding system I've ever had. As Wuzzer said, I've got a lot of money into my system and for now, I'd rather buy media to enjoy what I have.

I'm sure that somewhere down the road, tubes will be a part of my system. That's the thing about this Great Hobby of ours, we can move as fast or as slow as we see necessary, for our needs. My "need" are being met in spades!

I am a little jealous of you SWL, but I am so thrilled with my system now, I can sit back and enjoy the fact that you are having a great time with tubes. I am taking notes!!

Now, with that out to the way........ I am ignoring you again!!! [^o)]

Dennie [;)]

As I've stated before, I spent 23 happy years with a Kenwood receiver and a pair of 1980 Cornwalls. If not for this forum and the chimney fire that brought me here in 2003, I would be completely tube ignorant and my TT would still be sitting in a box collecting dust in the crawl space underneath my house.

In my basement "mancave" system, I run KG 4.2's with a vintage HK 430 that is restored and sounds wonderful.

Tonight, I borrowed a friends HH Scott 299 and hooked it up to the 4.2's and I am hooked. Smooth highs......I love it. It doesn't crank like the twin powered 430 but at moderate volumes it just oozes a lush, detailed soundstage.

Tomorrow I'm gonna get an HH Scott tattoo on my forearm.

As I've stated before, I spent 23 happy years with a Kenwood receiver and a pair of 1980 Cornwalls. If not for this forum and the chimney fire that brought me here in 2003, I would be completely tube ignorant and my TT would still be sitting in a box collecting dust in the crawl space underneath my house.

My story is worse than Gary's. When I was directed to this site, I was using a pair of paradigm monitors driven by a parasound amp and preamp. I had opted for this setup in favor of my cornwalls (which were recently given to my best friend after having spent a couple of years in the crawl space under my house) which had been driven with an NAD preamp and a pair of Mac MC 30's. ( btw sold those for a 150 bucks) My Lenco TT was long gone. For the life of me I cannot remember where that went, nor can I remember where my old Sansui tube integrated amp ended up. It might very well be at my mothers house which is a whole other kettle of fish.

After spending a bit of time here, I had a new pair of cornwalls and a NOS Valves 299b.Many dollars later I am where I am now with my set up. Dont plan of putting my Belles under the house any time soon, or leaving the tubes behind again.

Josh

So how it sounding after a little more time to listen ?

If it's possible, I'm liking it more every day. [:D]

I just need to figure out how to properly bias the tubes. I want this baby to continue sounding sweet. Any advice on biasing?

-Scott

Scott---

Hang on, didn't you have a tuber-rig a couple years ago? Before the Crown gear?

I had some Eastern Electric gear that I quickly traded off for some Heresies (I think?).

Right about now I'm wishing I still had the Peach ll. [:^)]

I recently bi-amped my Forte's with my Dynaco & Pioneer receiver.

I am still playing around with it but with metal music pumping through the Forte's it makes them sound like a Marshall stack

Ray,

I bet that sounds awesome. Does your Dynaco have gain controls?

Yes, I'm biamping with the tubes on the highs. [Y]

Ray,

I bet that sounds awesome. Does your Dynaco have gain controls?

Yes, I'm biamping with the tubes on the highs. Yes

I am currently using my home-made tube pre-amp which I have only one volume control on the Pioneer receiver. I don't feel there is a need to have a seperate gain control on the Dynaco the balance between the lows & highs appears to be perfect. My home-made tube pre-amp has a slight hum which only audible between tracks. I'm still playing around with my Dynaco pre-amp to get it to work with my system so I can compare it with the home-made pre-amp. I havn't had my Pioneer hooked up for some time, when I pumped it through the Forte's I noticed a buzzing sound on low frequency's. I realized that it was my basement windows rattling. Good to have the low end punch back.[:D]

Glad that your enjoying your tubes with the solid state, great combo with Klipsch!

I realized that it was my basement windows rattling.

LOL......I can relate to that!!

I should have my Jolida back next week sometime so I'll let you know when we're gonna rock out.......I mean have a casual listening session. [;)] BYOB.....I'll supply the grub. [Y]