Favorite DVDs

Imageman

I'd love to hear what everyone's favorite test DVDs and demo DVDs are.

I like the Ultimate DVD series as a test setup, and there are so many good movies out there... I'd be interested to hear what everyone's favorites are.

------------------

"Imaging is Everything"

A recent find for me in a concert DVD is Roger Waters "In The Flesh". No DTS here, but a good Dolby Digital recording nonetheless. At a recent training, I was playing it as people were walking into the room. I was amazed that once a person (no matter what age) sat down, they just focused in on the concert, no talking with their buddies or anything. Waters has got some great musicians with him playing 2 and 1/2 hours of Pink Floyd classics (recorded in 2000).

PhilH

Some of the best movies I own to watch and show off

my system would have to be.

T2 SE

New Planet of the apes DTS

Matrix

Rush hour 2 DTS-ES

Theres many others but off hand these are the

few to come to mind.

------------------

Thanks,

Daryl Gregg cwm12.gif

MY Home Theatre Page

Sony STR-DE975 HT Reciever

Sony DVP-NS400D DVD

SB-3 Mains

SC-1 Center

Quintet Rears

KSW-12 Sub

AR Proseries Interconects

Music

-----

James Taylor - Live at the Beacon Theater (DD 5.1)

Yes - House of Yes (DD 5.1)

Eagles - HFO (DTS)

Diana Krall - Love Scenes (DTS)

Blue Man Group - Audio (DVD-A)

Pat Metheny - Imaginary Day (DVD-A)

Movies

------

Das Boot (DD 5.1)

Matrix (DD 5.1)

Dances with Wolves (DD 5.1 THX)

American Beauty (DTS)

Gladiator (DTS-ES)

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

yes@house of blues;eagles h.f.o.;sting-brand new day;james taylor at the beacon;t2 metal box edition;gladiator;

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15 in the house!!

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder (dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner on the way!!

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

The Matrix (lobby shooting spree)

Titan A.E. (ice chase)

Gladiator (start scene)

Gone in 60 Seconds (Eleanor starts up)

Toy Story 2 (intro)

Atlantis (intro)

U-571 (depth charges)

Saving Private Ryan (Omaha Beach)

Jurassic Park 1,2,3 (dts)

Star Wars: Episode 1 (pod race)

Super Speedway (any car scene)

The Fast and the Furious (first race)

The dts "exploding" trailer, as well as the THX trailer

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

btw, i only listed the ones I have.

some guy at work has this DVD of Keb 'Mo with AMAZING sound, and there is the classic Hell Freezes Over from the Eagles.

Daylight in DTS as well as Top Gun are old classics, but I don't think they're up to par with what we see coming out right now, same for Terminator 2.

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

boa12,

I did just that last Friday. A friend of mine brought it over and I wanted to give him a demo of my Legends. We cranked the whole CD to "concert" levels. Had a huge grin and ringing ears for a few hours.....

He was VERY impressed, especially since he has a little cube/sub set-up.

Just to add one that no-one mentioned (actually no-one ever mentions).

Tommy the Rock Opera by the who. This was originally recorded in Quintaphonic (unique design by Pete Townsend - quadraphonic plus an extra channel for voice).

Sony spent 2 years converting it to DD 5.0 (no sub track) and it is quite simply amazing. Well worth the investment imho.

Oh and if you want to give your sub a work out Dante's peak is a fairly dreadful disaster movie but when the volcano goes off you really know about it!! At high volume I can usually empty my building with that one (we live in an earthquake zone).

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (DECWARE ZTPRE with separate beefed up PSU)

Pro-ject 4 turntable with Pro-ject 9 arm and Pro-ject 6 head,

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones (on loan to a friend)

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable

I need to add another DVD to my list...

...GODZILLA...

not only is the sound quality positively amazing for a Dolby Digital soundtrack (I maintain that the best soundtracks I heard are dts), but the picture quality is there too, in a major way.

but what really amazed me was the quality of the special effects, very rarely do you see cheap-looking FX in this movie. the story is entertaining, the action never stops, a real sleeper hit for me! I watched it a long time ago on a lowly VHS tape, it didn't have nearly the same impact, and I kept putting off watching it on DVD. well I bought it because the price was right, and let me tell you I didn't regret it! Man oh man did I enjoy that experience!

recommended, definite buy, if only for the demo aspect of it all...

------------------

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense.

This is one of the best music videos available - period. It also is a wonderful test of the musicality of a home theater system. Through Heritage, you'll think you're there!

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

A Beast is Lurking.........To be unleashed May 2002

This message has been edited by dndphishin on 03-28-2002 at 08:42 AM

I have to agree about the "In the Flesh" DVD by Roger Waters. I just bought this last week and have watched it 3 or 4 times already. I am not a huge Pink Floyd fan but am a fan none the less. I had a good friend over last night who is also just a casual fan (huge YES fan) and we watched the first 30 minutes of it before dinner. Not a word was said. We just listened and watched. I think that says it all...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Hey Lone Palm, I have been waiting for that one, Pulse, and Delicate sound of thunder to come out on DVD. I'm afraid we are going to be waiting a long time!

A rumour was floating around for a while that Pulse would come out on DVD....but that was a long time ago.....

I'd buy those in a heartbeat if they would release them. At least "In the flesh" is out!

Take care

Mike

quote:

Originally posted by PhilH:

A recent find for me in a concert DVD is Roger Waters "In The Flesh". No DTS here, but a good Dolby Digital recording nonetheless. At a recent training, I was playing it as people were walking into the room. I was amazed that once a person (no matter what age) sat down, they just focused in on the concert, no talking with their buddies or anything. Waters has got some great musicians with him playing 2 and 1/2 hours of Pink Floyd classics (recorded in 2000).

PhilH

Pink Floyd is awsome. Ever since I got my SVS 25-31pc I've been listening to the wall, disk2 (the better of the two, I think) Never realized there was so much bass is some of these songs.

If you have the album "echos" check out the song "The Fletcher Memorial Home" There is a part in that song where the bass really hits Smile.gif (~1:40)

This message has been edited by Hipnotic_Tranz on 03-28-2002 at 08:54 PM