Subs now from Emotiva

Youthman

• Moderators

Emotiva finally announced the release of their sub line. As usual, they have marketed them at a very nice price point. I want to see a 15" sub though. [:D]

Fellow Emotivans,

Greetings from Emotiva Command Central! We are thrilled
to announce the arrival of the much anticipated Ultra 12 Subwoofer: http://emotiva.com/ultra_subs.shtm

Words
alone cannot describe the life-changing impact this powerful addition to the
Emotiva family can and will bring to your home theater system.

At this
very moment, operators are standing by to fulfill your audio
fantasies.

Signing off,
your friends at Emotiva

I just received that email from them also. I was a little disappointed at the data on them though:

Typical In-Room Frequency Response:

USub10: 25Hz-200Hz

Usub12: 22Hz-200Hz

In-room response down to 22Hz on the 12 - that sounds like its taking room gain into consideration for the low end. I guess I'm used to my under 20Hz useable output!

• Moderators

12" or 10" sealed sub for HT? Pass.

Yeah, I don't imagine either could keep up with my Velodyne but thought I would throw that out as another sub option for those looking for one.

I just emailed a few Tuba Builders to see what they cost to have one built for me. The only two that will fit behind my false wall is the Tuba 18 and the Tuba 24. Just curious, do you think either of those will outperform my Velodyne HGS15?

SPECIFICATIONS HGS-15X THX Ultra 2
Cabinet (H/W/D) 19.75" x 18" x 17-7/8"
(49 x 45 x 45 cm)
Frequency Response 18Hz - 120Hz +/- 3 dB
Harmonic Distortion less than .5%
Subsonic Filter 15Hzor35Hz
High Pass Crossover 80Hz or 100Hz (6 dB/octave)
Low Pass Crossover 40Hz- 120Hz
(12 dB/octave initial, 48 dB/octave ultimate)
Phase 0°/180°
Amplifier Class D, 1250 watts RMS, 3000 watts peak
Woofer - forward firing 15" (12.7" piston diameter)
Magnet 220 oz. (13.7 lbs.)
Magnet Structure 380 oz. (24 lbs.)
Voice Coil Tandem 3" push-pull
Inputs Line-level, Balanced and speaker-level
Outputs Line-level and speaker-level
Warranty Two years (parts and labor)
Weight 95 lbs. (approx.) (43 Kg)

THIS one is pretty thin and the kit can be had for under $1000.00 till the end of this month. At that point the kit will no longer be available and they have to be bought already assembled for almost 3X the price. You shouldn't need to upgrade again.

• Moderators

Do you mean reviews for Emotiva in general or their subs? Most that have owned Emo, really like them. There are a few that didn't like them but that's expected when everyone's ears are different.

• 2 months later...

i like klipsch subs, great hit and stop ability, forgot what the term im lookng for is called. Velodyne and sunfire are my other favs. Persoanlly, i have always felt that the larger the woofer the better that "feeling" of bass is. I have 1000watts in subs in my car, 2 12's and it SHAKES, if u can get that into home audio and have it not resonate, thats a good option. Emotiva probably produces a good sub, but if what u r looking for is specific, go with the product that fits your needs. If you can afford it, save up. Other than that, find something that will please u in the meantime, and for that check out craigslist.