New stickers on back of Heresys

What's the plural of Heresy? Is it Heresys or Heresies?

I'm restoring a pair of Heresys right now and I would like to put new stickers on the backs. I seem to remember someone here made some on their computer. Anyone know who that was?

It would take me forever to make them up, I'm not very quick with Photoshop stuff, or CAD.

Greg

I remember someone doing it, but not WHO it was. My H IIs have no labels at all, which means they also have no serial numbers. It doesn't really matter to me since I am keeping them, but what a pain. I would politely suggest they put a sticker/label on the inside of the cabinets. At leat the originals had the sn stamped on the cabinet as well as having the labels.

I think we all pretty much settled on Heresies for the plural form.

Bruce

It was Jorjen on a Cornwall resto. If anyone gets the ball rolling on this, I'm in for a pair. If you can take a real good hi res pic and photoshop print to actual size on photo paper...I'm in for a pair...

BS

Cool, thanks. I'll contact Jordan and ask him about it. I'm thinking it's as simple a digital file, a jpeg or something that any of us can print on card stock, or heavy coated paper, or as you say, photo paper.

Greg

It was Jorjen on a Cornwall resto. If anyone gets the ball rolling on this, I'm in for a pair. If you can take a real good hi res pic and photoshop print to actual size on photo paper...I'm in for a pair...

BS

Cool, thanks. I'll contact Jordan and ask him about it. I'm thinking it's as simple a digital file, a jpeg or something that any of us can print on card stock, or heavy coated paper, or as you say, photo paper.

Greg

Yes, and maybe then they'll last almost as long as the speakers....do

Guest davidness

I was surprised the other day when I opened up my Klipsch RB-75's and found they both had a second, identical sticker on the inside of each. This may be the case for many models, but it was new news to me.

Mornin' Fellas...

I am trying to mail them to you now Greg. File is kind of big, I may have to zip and resend. I am also trying to find the Photoshop files of the cleaned up blanks(Khorns, Cornwalls, EICO HF-81, etc.). I think I saved them on disc when I got the new Dell. I will keep looking.

I think we all pretty much settled on Heresies for the plural form.

Why didn't anyone let me in on this?!! Crap. If you're right, I'm going to have to change a lot of Heresys on my website.

Greg

Only my opinion, but I think the plural would be Heresy speakers.

Now you guys are forcing me to buy several manuals of style.

Some rules are here http://www.meredith.edu/grammar/plural.htm I was thinking of the use of 's to indicate several words.

But I'll admit that Heresys would be equally correct as Heresy's, after some reflection.

I'm somewhat influenced by my early experience in trademark registrations. The government offices want to know the trademark you are registering. If you want "Heresy" that is fine. If you want "Heresies" that is fine too, but it is a different word. So are you registering two trademarks or just one?

In a situation like this the question may come up: "Please describe the name that you affix to your product." To my knowledge, Klipsch only puts Heresy on the model. So I think it is best to stick with that and not use the "ies" form.

My guess is that we might not find this in a grammar book because it is specialized to a persnickity use of trademarks.

Wm McD

My guess is that we might not find this in a grammar book because it is specialized to a persnickity use of trademarks

But is it? Or is there a special rule for pluralizing a proper name?

If my name was Gregy, would you say "the Gregies of the world"? I don't think so, because you are changing the spelling of my proper name in doing so. So I don't think it's all about trademarks, it's more about the difference between heresy, as a word with meaning, versus Heresy, the proper name of an object.

Somehow "the Gregy's of the world" seems correct to me, but I'm probably wrong.

Greg

The following is from the International Trademark Association (INTA), which I found on a Trademark and Patent Attorney website: http://www.trademark.in/what_is_ctm.htm

I thought it was interesting enough to post more than the relevant information, which I listed first.

NEVER modify a trademark to the
plural form.
Instead, change the generic word from
singular
to plural.

EXAMPLES:

• tic tac candies, NOT tic tacs

• OREO cookies, NOT OREOS

ALWAYS distinguish trademarks from
surrounding
text with at least initial capital
letters or
in all capital letters. Trademarks can
also
be distinguished from surrounding text
using
bold or italic fonts or by placing the
trademark
within "quotes" or in a stylized form
or logo type that has become
associated with
the mark.

EXAMPLES:

• ROLLS-ROYCE automobiles

• "adidas" footwear

ALWAYS use proper trademark form and
spelling.

EXAMPLES:

• Montblanc fountain pen, NOT Mont
Blanc

• Nescafé coffee, NOT Nes Café

ALWAYS check to see if the wording
you are
using includes a trademark; never
assume something
is generic. Then use both the
trademark and
the generic terms appropriately.

EXAMPLES:

• "Jet Ski" personal watercraft

• Bubble Wrap packaging material

NEVER use a trademark as a noun.
Always use
a trademark as an adjective modifying a
noun.

EXAMPLES:

• LEGO toy blocks

• Amstel beer

NEVER modify a trademark from its
possessive
form, or make a trademark possessive.
Always
use it the form it has been registered
in.

EXAMPLES:

• Jack Daniel's whiskey, NOT Jack
Daniels
whiskey

• Levi's jeans, NOT Levi jeans

NEVER use a trademark as a verb.
Trademarks
are products or services, never
actions.

EXAMPLES:

• You are NOT xeroxing, but
photocopying
on a Xerox copier.

• You are NOT rollerblading, but
in-line
skating with Rollerblade in-line
skates.

A good test for proper use is to
remove the
trademark from the sentence and see if
the sentence
(generic) still makes sense. If it
does not
then you are potentially using the
mark as the
descriptive term or as a verb and not
as an
adjective followed by a noun as you
should.

Only my opinion, but I think the plural would be Heresy speakers.

That's what I have thought, too, but I gave up on it a long time ago. I was originally more along the lines of Heresys, but Heresy speakers would certanily be the correct form.

Guest David H

Greg I have to agree Heresy should be used in its original form, to properly pluralize Heresy you would have to add a descriptor.

ie. Heresy speakers.

Posessive: Those are my Heresy speakers.

Ownership: Gregs Heresy speakers.

Q: How many Klipsch Heresy have you restored?

Q&A: What kind of speakers are those? Those are Klipsch Heresy.

There doesn't necessarily need to be an (s) at the end of the name to be plural. I think it is safer to stick with the original spelling.

Then again, I am just a dirty mechanic.

Daves $.02

Although the style book shows that the proper name should not be modified or have anything added to it, it still seems to me that when speaking informally, the plural of any names, proper or otherwise, should be shown by an added "s", or an "es" if the name ends in "s", like Jones. "Keeping up with the Joneses" looks like proper usage to me. It also seems correct to state that "There are lots of Smiths in Smithville", for example. Adding an "apostrophe s" always looks like the possessive form, not the plural.

One TV, two TVs, two CDs, that looks right to me, while two TV's, two CD's looks really wrong, unless you're saying this TV's picture quality is better than that of those TVs over there. Doesn't an apostrophe always indicate possession, not plurality?