What CDs/LPs are favorites?

Chris A

After reading the "I don't like this.." thread, it occurred to me that we now can't figure out what we actually DO listen to. I haven't seen such a thread on the forums (although I'm sure there is one somewhere).

[by the way: the following list is somewhat long-ish but is provided to help in remembering your favorites. Your list can be much shorter...I'm not asking for everything in your inventory, just the stuff you tend to put on more than once a month. ]

We often listen to:

Classical:

Baroque: J.S. Bach (organ, keyboard, chamber), Vivaldi (chamber), Purcell (incidental play music),
Classic era: Handel, Hayden, Mozart, Beethoven,
Romantic: Liszt, Schubert, Mendelssohn,
20th Century: Prokofieff, Stravinsky, Debussy, Ravel, Holst, Hanson,
Artists: Nadja Solerno-Sonnenberg, Galway, Rampal, Dallas Wind Symphony,

Jazz: Modern Jazz Quartet, Dave Brubeck, Geoff Keezer, Mulgrew Miller, Oscar Peterson, Thelonius Monk, Brian Bromberg, Roy Hargrove, Tal Wilkenfeld, Ray Brown, Red Garland.

Jazz Fusion: early BS&T, early Chicago, Jeff Beck (Blow by Blow), early Billy Cobham, Béla Fleck/Flecktones (Cosmic Hippo), Herbie Hancock (funk years), Keith Jarrett (all), Marcus Miller, Stanley Clarke, Vince Guaraldi, Steely Dan, Doobie Brothers (Michael McD.), Yellowjackets (later), Jean-Luc Ponty (Civilized Evil and later), Pat Metheny (The Way Up BD), Tower of Power, Mike Oldfield, Joni Mitchell,

Choral: Bill Douglas, Turtle Creek Chorale, Cantus,

Folk: James Taylor, Tom Russell,

AOR: Alan Parsons (many), Pink Floyd (70s),

"New Age": Dave Chappell, David Lanz, Enya, Mannheim Steamroller, Tangerine Dream, George Winston, Suzanne Ciani, Phillip Glass (minimalist), Walter Carlos, Art of Noise (early)

Blues and related genres: Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, BB King, Eric Clapton (Unplugged), Led Zeppelin (all), ZZ Top (early), Rolling Stones (early),

Big Band: Gordon Goodwin, Kenton, Ellington,

Teen music: early Jackson Browne, Beatles (post-Rubber Soul), early Supertramp, early Elton J.,

Your frequently played disks? [8]

Chris

P.S. This kind of stuff might go nicely in the profile - I think I'll copy mine there for grins...[:D]

Currently in rotation (all vinyl):

Chicago I and II (Rhino)

Rickie Lee Jones - Pop Pop (Alto)

Rickie Lee Jones - It's Like This (Analogue Productions 2 LP/45 RPM)

Marc Cohn - Marc Cohn (MFSL)

Art Pepper - Meet the Rythym Section (Analogue Productions)

Holst - The Planets (MFSL UHQR)

All of these are phenomenal recordings!

Mike

After reading the "I don't like this.." thread, it occurred to me that we now can't figure out what we actually DO listen to. I haven't seen such a thread on the forums (although I'm sure there is one somewhere).

I have so many that I really like in my collection that it would take forever to list them all.

Some stand-outs over the years include the following:

Beyond Twilight - For the Love of Art and the Making

Vox Tempus - In the Eye of Time

Sonata Arctica - Unia and The Days of Greys

Stratovarious - Visions and Polaris

Xystus - Equilibrio

Tomorrow's Eve - Mirror of Creation and Mirror of Creation 2

Ayreon - just about everything, especially Into the Electric Castle

Destination's Calling - Invisible Walls

Those are some of the stand-outs that I've particulary enjoyed. However, whatever I currentlly got playing will typically be my current favorite. I love it that I can pretty much go through my entire collection and pull something out that I've not heard in several months and then play it again and enjoy it all over, as much as the one that just arrived in the mail and just pulled the shrink wrap off and listening to for the very first time.

Holst - The Planets

Typically the first number performed in The Planets is "Mars, The Bringer of War", which really crescendos from its humble beginning (dun,dun,dun,dot dun, dun, dun. I like to put that on, then watch everyone in the area eventually stop and start starting at me until I turn it down to under 95 dB©. [:D][H]-

It is so hard to pick a favorite, but I do really, really enjoy this one....

EllaLouis.jpg

Ella and Louis, it is a fantastic original 1957 Mono pressing and it sounds so much better than the CD.

It is one of my "Deserted Island" must haves.

I've always loved the cover photo!

Dennie

Dennie, those two people in the next room seem to be enjoying the music, too!

...and your favorites are?...

[;)]

Current Favorite CDs--

Luxa - Harold Budd

The White Arcades - Harold Budd

Current Favorite LPs

"Music From Peter Gun" - Henry Mancini

"April in Paris" - Andre Kostelanetz

Music from Peter Gunn is excellent. Especially on vinyl!

Too many.....on the brain now:

Morphine - Cure For Pain

Ray LaMontagne - Trouble

Brian Eno - On Land

Robin Trower - Bridge Of Sighs

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing...

Dave Brubeck - Time Out

The Orb - The Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Vol. II

Terre Thaemlitz - Soil

Bach Cello Suites - Rostropovich or Byslma or Wispelwey

Meshuggah - None

Clutch - any album. but for now, Elephant Riders

Glen Hansard - Once

Fu Manchu - Eatin' Dust

Tom Waits - Blood Money

Ben Harper - The Will To Live

• 2 years later...

Old thread, new disks to share...

51FpZmHaimL._SL500_.jpg

This one is only for the not-so-faint-of-heart with a pretty good setup that can handle it: it cannot be enjoyed at much less than concert volume...and concert volume is pretty much up there.

I like interesting percussion recordings (...not so much "drumming"...), and this one takes the cake in that department. It is truly excellent and dynamic, with lots of keyboard percussion sounds, but play it when the WAF is out of the house. [Y]

Chris

Old thread, new disks to share...

Old thread indeed. I saw my post from something like 2 years ago.

All of those albums listed on there still get plenty of play time, even two years later. However, there are some additional ones that I've gotten that have really blown me away as of late....

Introitus - Elements

Nightwish - Imaginaerum

Damnation Angels - Bringer of Light

Rush - Clockwork Angels

In The Silence - A Fair Dream Gone Mad

Teodor Tuff - Soliloquy

Lost In Thought - Opus Arise

Haken - both of thier albums - Aquarius and Visions

Heck, even this one that I JUST downloaded off of eMusic sure as hell has gotten my attention as well - Lunocode - Celestial Harmonies

Who's Next

Blue-Joni Mitchell

They Only Come Out at Night-Edgar Winter Group

Insight Out-Association

Carney-Leon Russell

Candles in the Rain-Melanie Safka

Nilsson Schmilsson

Ted nugent-Ted Nugent

Deja Vu-CSNY

Manassas-Stephen Stills

Second Helping-Lynyrd Skynyrd

Rides Again-James Gang

Hotel California-Eagles

No Secrets-Carly Simon

Mud Slide Slim-James Taylor

Foreigner 4

Rumours-Fleetwood Mac

DOREMI-FASOL-LATIDO-Hawkwind

Dark Side of the Moon-Pink Floyd

the list goes on and on.....

Many more but some that come to mind

Dire Straits - Brother's In Arms Remastered. (CD)

• The standard version is/was used by live sound engineers for tuning systems.
  • The remasted verson is even better - found 2 remastered versions for $2 or less on is now used by a live sound engineer [8][8][8][H][8][8][8] it was "free" wieth Nak CD changer from local pawn shop

Steely Dan - Aja (LP, CD, Cisco 180 gram audiphile LP)

• Still sounds awesome on CD at least
  • Remastered Cisco audiophile LP may be even batter but no claims of remastering so same master tape. MC said the LP version could tell the drumpstps nyllon tipped. with quick CD / LP comparison. Both vewrsions stunning.

Edgar Winter Band - They Only Come Out At Night (CD) Live At The Galaxy (DVD)

• "Free Ride" guitar riff still one of my favorites. Ronnie Montrose I think originated it. And still love "Frankenstein"
  • When Edgar straps on a keyboad, he straps on a keyboard... of course in the old days it as a keyboard controller...

Bela Fleck & The Flecktones - Flight Of The Cosmic Hippo (CD)

• Crazy low powerfull and creative bass played by Victor Wooten and percussion by Futureman his brother along with Bela's amazing banjo
  • Klipsch engineer Roy Delgado uses "Flight Of The Cosmic Hippo" track to test bass.
  • The live "Flight Of The Cosmic Hippo" with the audience participating is realy cool also

Carole King - Tapestry (CD - never got around to getting the LP back in the day)

• Amazing album sound quality could be cleaner but man what a collection of great tracks. "You've Got A Friend" became a #1 hit for James Taylor before Carole

James Taylor - Live At The Beacon Theater (DVD)

• Very enjoyable set. James has aged well. I need to get James and Corole together

Harry Chapin - Gold Medal Collection, Encore Collection, Tribute (various artists celebrating posthumous awarding of Congressional Medel of Honor)

• All the above are CDs. I'll add LP Verities and Balderdash as it may be my favorite
  • Harry is probably one of my favorite artists and put his money where his mouth is. December 1989. Notroe Dame Athletic and Convention Center. Concert billed as an evening with Harry Chapin - like Harry and his band performing in your living room with a few thousand other people 3 1/2 hours stayed afterwords and kissed all the pretty women (all the women) and signed autographs wish I'd have gotten sme better pics - just gotten 35 mm, figured flash pointlenss so left at home totally overexposed most images leaving harry kind of ghostly - ironically fitting as he was killed in about 19 months - driving his econo care to a benefit
  • The first 2 seem to capture hime live. "Flowers Are Red is My Favoriate Song" if I had to pick one. "The Night That Made America Famous" maybe a close second but may not be on the first 2 live albums
  • The Tribute. Some of the most heartfelt performances - Harry inspiored "We Are The World" and other efforts. Pat Benetar's performance credits Harry and his brothers for teaching her to sing rock and roll. Springsteen is particularly nasily - pretty inconsistent recording quality but captures I think what Harry is about and the impact he had somewhat

Randy Stonehill - Wonderama (CD)

• "Rachal Delavorius based on a true story is one of my favorite Randy Stonehill tracks
  • Partially live Until we Have Wings Captures Randy live as "Uncle Rand" - think Roben Williams who plays guitar and sings

Led Zeppelin - Box Set (4 S CDS)

• I'll attribute this one to Old Buckster - black Friday after Rob had passed away but I didn't read the post until I returned from Black Friday pawn shop shopping
    • I had found a few CDs I "had to have" maybe collections? ready to go
    • A women, I think store owner, not normal guy Tim who was very interesting, played and sang, and has even played in small town of Galveston 3 to 4 miles from where I live pointed me to Nirman and Led Zeppelin boxed sets. Nirvana not so interested. Led Zeppelin in very good shap for $20 well I had to have that
    • Returning I get on teh forum and find that Rob had passed away
    • I find an old post of Rob's where he said it was Led Zeppelin's Box Set that convinced him to switch to CD - I"ve not abandoned LPs and keep acquiring new one's and at teims think I hear a "PULL" whel I plan an LP as Rob had commneted use 'em like clay pigeons

Neville Brothers - Live On Planet Earth (CD)

• Great live album in my very humble opinion
  • emailing about this with Old Buckster started a chain of a few emails - really miss him

DeGarmo & Key Band - No Turning Back Live (LP)

• Contemporary Christian live album one of the best of the genre
  • The introduction to "I Have Decided" I think actually the long end of the previous track really speaks to me

Amy Grant - Straight Ahead (LP, have the CD but LP for song sang at our wedding)

• First CCM artist with gold album with Age To Age, Amy starts maturing from young girls to young woman
  • "Doubly Good To You" was our wedding soung
  • Several other good tracks of an artist expressing her faith in maturing song

And so many more.... but maybe as these kind of first came to mind, maybe they are some of my favorites

Edited by blsamuel