hi y'all!

jdm56

Greetings from the hi-fi wastelands of southwest MO! Long time / no post, so I thought I'd just drop in to see what condition your conditions were in. Looks like a lot of the old guard is still on patrol, but lots of new ones too.

Actually, I did have a question...now where'd I put that thing...hang on... OK, here we go: New CWIII's for $2800, no subs needed; or new LSII's for $4600 plus subs, for use with two-channel music and cheap electronics (read: solid state and digital). $4600 is a LOT of moo-lah...makes the CW's look like a bargain at $2800, especially considering the LS's relative lack of bass (although I don't know what fish really has to do with anything). But then on the other hand, that la scala / k-horn midrange is magical, so...what y'all think?

• Moderators

I think its hard to beat La Scalas.

Tough question, I love both.

I would say it would depend on what kind of music you listen too, and how loud do you listen ?

I say this because sometimes the bass can get to be a little much (with some music) on the Cornwall if played to loud, you could always turn the bass down a touch.

And like you said with the LaScala it can sometimes be a little shy with the bass, but that larger midrange has a special sound, both of these speakers are affected by the type of music and volume, as far as there good and less good parts.

Just right off I would say LaScala and a sub, but that is quite a difference in price. Tough choice !

Always tough to make these kinds of decisions when everyone is giving you their right answers and they are all correct. Do you have the opportunity to go and A/B what you're considering? I just don't think that you can make that big of a decision without doing that, and I should have said A/B/C them, based on what DaddyDee said. I can't comment on Khorns as I am still waiting to hear some, but when I listened to Cornwall's and LaScala's I liked and disliked them which lead me down the path of the Cornscala and I am glad I went there because that's what works for me, but has 0 to do with what will work for you. Buy the pair that puts a big smile on your face when you crank up your favorite tunes. Happy listening!

k-horns are out of the question. Just a poor fit for my 15x22 room - the only workable corners are on a short wall.

Cornscalas sound intriguing, but I don't think my woodworking tools are up to the task ( hand tools and a table saw). To say nothing of my total ignorance of designing /building a cross-over.

Golly, I do love that k400 sound, but sweet Mary, mother of Todd, $4600 is a boatload of green...and then you still need a pair of good subs. Or at least I would, due to my extreme O-C tendencies.

The cornwalls are what I need. This I know. But after having lived with the LSII's for awhile I don't know if I'd be satisfied...DRAT! If the best things in life are free, then how come La Scala's aren't??

Cornwalls with FastTrac horns? It's quite a ways to ship them, but Bliss (I think) up in NH built a beautiful set in Oiled Oak (they started life as my late 1985 CW 1.5s) that were for sale a while back.

They have the dimensions of stock CW I believe, and the CW Vault could be pressed into service to move them.

Dude- your room is perfect for K horns. My room is about the same size as yours. K horns do very well as long as you have 10 feet between them. I have had them all except bells on the short wall- 13'- My modded k horns destroy anything that I have ever heard in the short wall position in 2ch and HT.

You do not need a 20 foot wide room for K horns- Ask around.

I know the dimensions look k-horn friendly, but one corner is open to two hallways, one corner has a sliding glass exterior door, and the other two share a short dimension that consists of a stepped wall capped with a 7-8" deep wooden shelf we put family pictures on. It's about 46" above the floor -nothing may extend above it, blocking the pictures (by order of the mistress of the house). So k-horns are non-starters. Besides, the sweet spot for a pair of k-horns in the short wall corners would be only 7.5 ft. out into the room's 22' length! I don't like the sound of that...although I'm sure the sound would still be good. False corners might offer a possibiliy for cornerhorns, but they'd still be blocking the shelf behind them. Darn those domestic engineers and their unreasonable demands!

I don't know why klipsch doesn't offer a "bighorn" cornwall! All they'd have to do is build the cabinet to accomodate the depth of the K400. The other dimensions could be tweaked to maintain ideal cab. volume for the woofer. Unless I'm missing something (which I usually am) it doesn't look like too big a challenge for the bright boys in Indy and Hope.

Golly, I do love that k400 sound,

JubeScala baby!

Get an older pair of LaScalas or perhaps build your own bass bin. Get a sub later on as you can.

You can build the smaller K510 inside the top of the LaScala bin or get the larger 402 if you want some serious kick hiney.

With something like this the crossover (active) has already been mapped out. Simply a function of putting your parts together and tossing them into the oven for 30 minutes at 350.

I don't know why klipsch doesn't offer a "bighorn" cornwall! All they'd have to do is build the cabinet to accomodate the depth of the K400.

You love the K400. Clearly you've not heard the K510 nor the K402. Might be worth your effort before you plunk down a bunch of pennies.

Here's a thread I put on audiokarma to show the different configurations.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=277994&highlight=jubescala

Whoa! That 510 is a monster!! I'm sure my wife would just love that in her house![:D] Now, the 402 - I could live with that.

I just love lookin' at yours and others pictures of their builds. Just don't know if I could pull it off to my satisfaction. I'm not totally helpless -I built the computer table I'm typing on at this very moment, in fact. It's just that a table is one thing. A pair of speakers quite another. And I am super fanatically picky about my speakers. I don't know if I could build a pair up to my standards! Definitely something to consider, though.

Whoa! That 510 is a monster!! I'm sure my wife would just love that in her house!Big Smile Now, the 402 - I could live with that.

Interesting comment.

Let me say so there is no room for confusion.... the K510 is the smaller of the two and the K402 is the larger of the two. In fact, the K402 is larger in raw dimensions than an entire LaScala sitting on its side.

Sure would be funny if you mixed them up and ordered the large one expecting the WAF approved smaller one to arrive.... oops!

If you are super fanatically picky about your speakers then have a local cabinet shop build you the bass bin ONLY and make it beefier like the LaScala II. You could then incorporate the smaller horn into a top section like the Khorn tophat or if you want to live on the edge, get the larger 402 horn.

Here is one serious point.... I would suggest to you that a properly voiced LaScala playing as a 2-way will sound a lot better to you than a properly voiced LaScala playing 3-way.

I finally figured that out when I put a single LaScala outside and cranked things up wtih it. I started walking towards my field when all the sudden it dawned on me that this thing sounded a WHOLE lot nicer 30/40 feet away than it did 15 feet away. by nicer I mean more coherent. All of the drivers had come together to create more of a single bubble of sound instead of hearing the different parts.

Same reality when I had my Khorns. The Khorns sounded most coherent when I was 30' away (yes I measured) and the Jubilee's have that same coherency when I'm merely 10' away from them.

Take a day trip to Wichita and hate me for what you heard when you get home! [;)]

[au]...................................................

Hmm...the bigger number is the smaller horn and the smaller number is the bigger horn? --Oh, why must life be so confusing?? Well, if I learn nothing else today, I've at least learned that.[8-|]

Ya know, I have thought about having a cabinet maker build the boxes, and I agree: one-inch mdf would be good.

For that brief, shining moment of time when I had La Scala II's in-house, I actually spent a good portion of my listening time re-imagining the speakers, if you know what I mean. I would be enjoying the music but then I'd think "If only they were a bit taller...and narrower...or angled up a smidge. And gee, what if you just stripped out the bass bin and converted that whole bottom section to a ported box? Pad down the horns a bit and the overall response would be smoother and subs would not be needed! So as great as the LS2 is, there were issues I had with them, alot of it to do with the squat, refrigerator-like appearance (I know, I'm so shallow!) and the lack of low end weight.

But then I'd come to my senses. What do I know about designing speakers? (nada) What real chance would I have of improving the la scala sound? (Again, nada) What are the odds I'd spend a lot of money and time on something that would probably end up in the landfill? (Pretty strong, actually) So that's where I'm at and why that when I see a good (or at least fair) deal on klipsch heritage, I take notice. Plus, my wife always says the '85 cornwalls we had were the best speakers we've ever had. And maybe she is right, at least when all factors are considered (size,price,performance, etc.).

So who knows? $2800 is still a lot of money, too (new corns). But a person could sure sink a lot of time and money in home brew and still not be satisfied in the end. Those new cornwalls keep looking better all the time. ...but of course if I could come across a nice pair of used oak/oil cornwalls for the right price, then maybe I could put your "little" K510 horn in those...convert them to a 2-way, throw away the x/o and get an active, and blah-blah-blah...etc........ETC........ETC!!! ................................[:)]

LS's relative lack of bass!!!! Not so fast to dis the LSII's bass JDM56 (by the way welcome back[:)]) I was totally amazed at the bass response of the LSII's when Mark played them for us in Hope back in '06. I'm just thinking you could live with their current bass support until you are forced to move your foundation ever so slightly[:o] LOL