Ribs: Whaddaya think

fini

As a meat-related aside, the butcher at my market recommended an interesting way to cook roasts. 500 degree oven, 5 minutes per pound, then shut off the oven, and do not open for 2 hours. I have yet to try it.

I've tried it this way... and it does work... However, you do miss all of the extra's that come with cooking it outside...

Such as...?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a meat-related aside, the butcher at my market recommended an interesting way to cook roasts. 500 degree oven, 5 minutes per pound, then shut off the oven, and do not open for 2 hours. I have yet to try it.

I've tried it this way... and it does work... However, you do miss all of the extra's that come with cooking it outside...

Such as...?

I'm referring to the way your butcher suggested....

Did this with a standing rib roast on NewYears day. Turned out fantastic. I saw in on Food Netowrk, Paula Dean

Cut down a green hickory tree. Build a nice outdoor fire with it. Seasoned oak or hickory ok for getting the fire started. Cook down to a good supply of hot coals and add to firebox on smoker. I usually cook for 5 to 6 hours rotating the ribs on the hour and basting with vinegar (the 4% variety is best for this) based sauce. At the end of cooking time rib bones are exposed 5/8" or so. The meat is goofy tender and can be very easily pulled from a rack.

For the low and slow cooking- keep your eyes open at garage sales and flea makkets- the Kamato is an ugly little terracota colored cooker that looks like an egg on metal legs- lots of time the hinges for the top are rusted- easily fixed wit a can of WD 40/ Do make sure that the inner ceramic liner is not broken.

These will cook a boston butt in 3-4 hours with a small handful of chunk charoal- a few shredded naespapers and a few starter wood strips- oak kindling works well. I have seen these for 50 bucks at yardsales but I already have one. they work great.

Dang win, for $50 it might be worth shipping! I see these things go new for 7-8 bills! I just scoured the local CL, and this is all I saw that comes close. I'll keep looking. Seems my friend (for 43 years)/brother-in-law (for 21 years)* Jim has mentioned a DIY design using terra cotta garden pots. I will have to ask him...

*We each married one of our friend Dickie Parker's cousins. TMI? Maybe.

And if you get the chance, go for a smoker, you'll never cook Q any other way once you get the hang of it.

Randall, do you have any recommendations on a smoker? I have a Webber kettle, that's it.

fini,

Sorry about the late response, but Thursday, I went down pretty early. Mainly because, Friday, I had to make a trip to Chattanooga, then to Nashville and then back home. I was pretty worn out by this time and didn't even want to get started with all the stuff I keep up with on the comp.

As for recommendations for a smoker, since you are not doing compitition cooking(which does not allow electric smokers, Kansas City rules), I have included several links.

The easiest smoker for the house is an electric one. And in no way will it comprimise taste as opposed to a charcoal or gas smoker. I DON'T CARE WHAT ANYONE SAYS. I'll put mine up against anyone's, regardless of the method they use.

I use a cheap Brinkman electric(79.00-89.00) which I have modified with a fairly high dollar(278.00) across the line thermostat. My cost was WAY,WAY, less though. It gives outstanding results.

The following links will give you an idea of what is out there. Even so, just google smokers, and you will have unlimited options. It all depends on how deep you want to get into this. I love smoking BBQ which is really the only true way to do BBQ. Cooking ribs,butts,or shoulders in an oven or on a grill(unless you do indirect heating) is sacrilige, it's just not the real thing. I also make a pretty fair amount of money on the side.

All that being said, I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a new smoker from the first link. Also, google SMOKE RING, URL included...for all things BBQ.

Hope this helps,

Randall

http://store.cookshack.com/p-113-smokette-sm009-2-stainless-steel.aspx '> http://store.cookshack.com/p-113-smokette-sm009-2-stainless-steel.aspx

http://www.amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/smokers/electric_smokers.html '> http://www.amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/smokers/electric_smokers.html

http://www.thesmokering.com/ '> http://www.thesmokering.com/

If ya really want to step up, the best places I've ever had good q and that means brisket down here, which is the most difficult in my experience, is to build a real bbq pit. Basically a masonry structure of a circle with an opening, and a grate on the top which is about waist high. Build up an awesome wood fire (oak or other hardwood) and slow cook the slabs o meat for about 18 hours. That's how they do it at the Salt Lick outside of Austin, and when you see "pit bbq" advertised that's how it better be done. Ribs prepped as described before should take less time.

If ya really want to step up, the best places I've ever had good q and that means brisket down here, which is the most difficult in my experience, is to build a real bbq pit. Basically a masonry structure of a circle with an opening, and a grate on the top which is about waist high. Build up an awesome wood fire (oak or other hardwood) and slow cook the slabs o meat for about 18 hours. That's how they do it at the Salt Lick outside of Austin, and when you see "pit bbq" advertised that's how it better be done. Ribs prepped as described before should take less time.

Oldtimer,

I am really considering building a pit out back. Just not for beef brisket. I grew up with Memphis style BBQ, which is pork. I have worked in Texas before, and went to a company sponsored picnic, so I have had beef brisket before.

Sorry, just wasn't impressed. And this was supposed to have been catered by one of the primo BBQers in the Houston area. Maybe on their catering they just decided "This is good enough for 'em". I don't know. Around the South, BBQ is PORK. And believe me I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest with you,

Maybe I just haven't eaten good brisket before, but I lived down there for two years and though the steaks were GREAT, I just never developed a taste for beef brisket. I would love to be proven wrong and I'm open for invitations...if I can afford them. It would be best if there were a pair of mint Chorus II's waiting at the end of my drive.

Luv ya,

Randall

I wasn't thinking "real world", when I answered your post, Oldtimer.

My prayers and thoughts are on and with the folks of New Braunfels and the other affected areas of Texas, and for all the dead and missing in Arkansas from the very same storm.

Sometimes, after you read what you(meaning me) wrote just a few days or hours or even minutes ago, it really is trivial when you consider the things folks are going through in other parts of our country.

Maybe this is a diversion to keep us from just completly freaking out from the state of the world.

Got a little introspective there. Stephen Schaffer is already used to that.[:#]

And not to take away my meaning above, but to make REAL BBQ, you gotta kill a hog. Cows are for steaks.[6]

And I still luv ya,

Randall

You won't ever upset me about bbq, don't worry. A good brisket is an art and like I said very difficult to accomplish. The Salt Lick is a recommended spot for sure, keep in mind every piece of meat is different. I love pork bbq also, pulled shoulder, spare ribs, baby backs, etc. Hawaiian style luau pork (kalua pork) is also great (beach pit whole hog). It's all good, it's all good food! Build that pit!

Hawaiian style luau pork (kalua pork) is also great (beach pit whole hog). It's all good, it's all good food! Build that pit!

Been to Hawai, and been to a luau at the Brother's house I was staying. Yeah, I could get used to eating like that. But, it's just not an every day thing as the travel brochures would have you think.

EXCEPT...for the hotels...luau every night.

Randall

And since you have a Webber kettle..........

http://www.thesmokering.com/HowTo/weberribs/default.jsp

Hey Randall, thanks for that link, and for the advice. I've done similar to that, with coals to either side of the center, drip pan (and meat) in the center. I'm cooking the rib roast tomorrow, and it's so hot outside, my wife wants me to cook outdoors (not in the oven, as planned). I'll go with this method. My Webber has the one touch vent feature, and has the thermometer on top. I'll make sure I work the coals to maintain the recommended temp. I do have an awesome instant read thermometer for the meat. It's my favorite cooking utensil!! I think I'll be fairly conservative with the spices. Don't want to drown out the natural meat flavor!

And not to take away my meaning above, but to make REAL BBQ, you gotta kill a hog. Cows are for steaks.Devil

You got that right. Living in in eastern North Carolina, that is the only way to do BBQ...Whole hog, slow cooked, vinegar based sauce. Hush puppies, boiled potatos and slaw on the side. Maybe also some Brunswick Stew.

And since you have a Webber kettle..........

http://www.thesmokering.com/HowTo/weberribs/default.jsp

Hey Randall, thanks for that link, and for the advice. I've done similar to that, with coals to either side of the center, drip pan (and meat) in the center. I'm cooking the rib roast tomorrow, and it's so hot outside, my wife wants me to cook outdoors (not in the oven, as planned). I'll go with this method. My Webber has the one touch vent feature, and has the thermometer on top. I'll make sure I work the coals to maintain the recommended temp. I do have an awesome instant read thermometer for the meat. It's my favorite cooking utensil!! I think I'll be fairly conservative with the spices. Don't want to drown out the natural meat flavor!

Just don't blame me,

Side note...bought an 8 lb. boston butt today, and my smoker died on me. So, I brought it in and stuck it in the oven. I swear I may never give advice about anything ever again.

Well, I followed the set-up advice for the Webber in the link above, and the rib roast turned out PERFECTLY. SUPER tender. I thought I had some smoking chips around here, but no (I only had a pack of smoking chimps).

chimps5.jpg

So I improvised. Our rosemary bush bit the dust a while back, so I chopped up the branches and roots, soaked/washed them in water, and added them to the Kingsford briquets every 30 minutes or so. The temperature started out a bit high (~400), but eased into around 300 for most of the time. I had wanted it to get down below 250, but didn't want to mess with the vents. I guess it was on the fire just under 3 hours (7# roast). Thanks again! I feel I made a bbq breakthrough last night! Oh, I used a simple dry rub made with salt, black pepper, cayenne and garlic powder.