For you Ol' Buckster!!

Coytee

I got these MWM single cabinets. Because of having to put some parts together, rebuild the input cups and this (#$*#_ RAIN... I've not been able to really get these out for a good listen.

Today, the clouds have lifted. Still humid as heck but... I dragged both bins outside and stacked them with my K402 on top. I set my program on my active appropriately and turned things on.

What to listen to?

AH HA! I know exactly what to listen to.

Buckster had sent me some copies of disks he liked a lot. One of them was Delbert McClinton (sp?) live. I'd never heard the live show so he sent it to me. Turns out it's a very good 2 disk set!!

Well.... what am I going to listen to as I set these up outside and get some work done sanding the deck?

Put in Delbert and put a couple volts to the speakers inputs and viola!!! Some mighty fine sound!

I first had the single bass bin playing. Hooked up the second bin and expected a creshendo of bass.... I was wrong. It merely filled in some meat to the sound.

I've been told by Colter that I might need to bump my bass bins a couple db's because I in fact have the wrong drivers in there. Rather than bump them up a couple db's, I attenuated my 402 about 3 db's (or was it 6?)

Anyways..... sounding mighty fine now that I have all the magic markers, bolts, screws, rolls of tape, clothes hangers, fuzz, wire bits and a dime out of the innards of these boxes. I don't know what was buzzing but something in that mix was.

Oh.... notice the little furry friendly one cowering under the back of the car. Poor little gal (Freckles)

post-15072-1381959805888_thumb.jpg

post-15072-13819616174972_thumb.jpg

Do you think I heard it? [8]

Was kind of nice hearing the show while sanding AND while also wearing my -30db over-ear hearing protection muffs

I think my wifes uncle (next door) and her father (other side of uncles house) could probably hear me too! [A]

Perhaps the most fun $200 I've ever spent, thank you Speakerfritz for pointing those out on the forum [Y]

post-15072-1381959806356_thumb.jpg

post-15072-13819616180062_thumb.jpg

Yep, you are right that a single bin can be sufficient!!! Since these bins have the wrong drivers in them I wanted to get them both working. I set them up in the garage and had a signal going to them.

I don't know if it's just me or what but... if I hear JUST bass... I think it sucks. If I hear JUST the K402, I think it sucks. It still amazes me that if you put these two individual sucky sounds together, they sound pretty damn good!

Since the bass alone doesn't work for me I HAD to put the top end on it and hear them.

I took the pictures, came inside and made my post. When I was done with the post I thought.. I need to put a different disk in there, maybe something that has a bit more punch in the drum section.

So, off I went downstairs to change out cd's and put in either Blue Man Group or... my hand was actually on Toto's live DVD. I thought that initial drum hit might sound ok through the window (with some more volume)

As I was fumbling around and waiting for the DVD to load.... I looked out through the screen and said "is that rain coming down?"

If it IS rain it's small drops. So, I look at my car....don't see anything. Look at the MWM's.... too dirty to tell....

Look again (without my glasses on) and convince myself that it is raining. Now I run outside and start dragging these things indoors.

I've probably got the world record time of dragging two MWM singles and a K402 thirty five feet to safety.

Richard -

I have had my hand on the phone all day ready to call to you all day so I coudl come down and get my audition - but it was raining here off and on all day - so I didn't think that you would be getting out all day - please let me know when you might be getting them out again and I am there...

I need to get you that new number where you can get me...does your phone accept text messages?

They look awesome!

Bruce

I had my cell and house phone next to me all day as I was expecting a call from someone.... (so I would have answered lol)

I intend on dragging them back out tomorrow, PRESUMING we don't have this "now it's raining & now it's not.....well....yes it really is" day.

I spend most of the day sanding those posts holding up the deck and if all goes accordingly, we'll be staining the underside of the deck tomorrow.

I was home alone today which is what afforded me the time to do all the above. Tomorrow, Das Boss is home and I won't be able to play around as much.

You're certainly welcome to do a "hi, we were in the neighborhood and thought we'd stop by to say HI" kind of thing or, simply swing by after work during the week (except Thursday) and we can drag them out.

What I usually do for a day like tomorrow is either crank up the Jubilee's upstairs and perhaps open a window or, crank up the LaScalas downstairs and do same. Bringing something outside to crank up is out of my normal routine. After carrying that darn K402 up/down the stairs twice today I'm glad it's not normal.

As I was carrying it, I thought to myself that I need to try to find a couple beater 402's (not that I've ever seen any on the used market) I really don't want to beat these up that are in my living room to play outside.

Just so you have the seed planted....

Just today, the wife said "why don't you have that Jubilee party you were talking about.... maybe in August?" (I was thinking maybe September)

The outline would be 'open house' from say, Friday afternoon, through Sunday afternoon. She said she would escape to her fathers house lol (she hates things like this and all the rucas)

If I do this, I'm thinking of having most of these things out in the field where we can flex their muscles a bit. She also said we should have a movie those nights with something like the MWM's on the side of a 15' screen.

Though I wouldn't take the Jubilee bass bins out there, everything else would be up for grabs.

LaScala
JubeScala
MWM
Jubilee's inside (when the 402's are free)
Possibly a Jamboree

Soooooooooooooooo, iffen this happens and iffen you still have that horn and iffen you have a driver and iffen it will fit in your car and iffen you want to visit....

• Moderators

So how did you like the sound overall, it would be real handy to have some horns for the MWM's so you can leave your 402's inside.

It would be nice if you made some kind of stand that the MWM's would sit on so that when you wanted to bring them out you could just drive up with the backhoe or a tractor connect to them and move them out into the yard without all the lifting.

The easier you make moving them the more you will use them around the yard, also a T-amp and a portable Cd player and you could put the music anywhere on your property you want, it could even be wired with alligator clips to the equipment battery as little power it draws.

So how did you like the sound overall,

I gotta say.....pretty damn impressive!

it would be real handy to have some horns for the MWM's so you can leave your 402's inside

Yes, I would love to have a pair of beater 402's

It would be nice if you made some kind of stand that the MWM's would sit on so that when you wanted to bring them out you could just drive up with the backhoe or a tractor connect to them and move them out into the yard without all the lifting

This is correct to. What I've done right now is literally "roll" them end over end from the garage to that location. (ugh) I have a hand truck but the gravel makes it a little weird. Driving into work today I was wondering if I could somehow make a harness for them. Hook onto handles and hook other end into front or rear bucket and lift/carry away. Time will figure that one out.

The easier you make moving them the more you will use them around the yard

lol surely you know that from one location, you can hear them ALL OVER the yard? no need to move them.

it could even be wired with alligator clips to the equipment battery as little power it draws.

Heh heh.... I don't have a T-amp.... only some Crowns. How would you get around crossover issues with something like that? I'm coming out of the Dx38.

I don't think a passive exists for these and the 402??

All those mentions of moving the MWMs made me think about unusual self-propelled items, like those motorized barstools occasionally used for racing .

Would it be practical to mount the MWMs on some kind of chassis with engine or motor, so you could drive them around the yard? If you rolled onto the street and were seen and HEARD by some of those my-sub-has-more-power-than-my-engine window-rattling self-propelled noise polluters, you'd either send them home crying or start some ridiculous new mighty-horns-on-the-roof-of-the-car trend.

It would still be annoying, but at least it wouldn't be all bass, the way it is when they drive around now... [;)]

• Moderators

So how did you like the sound overall,

I gotta say.....pretty *** impressive!

it would be real handy to have some horns for the MWM's so you can leave your 402's inside

Yes, I would love to have a pair of beater 402's

I don't think that you will ever found a beater pair.

It would be nice if you made some kind of stand that the MWM's would sit on so that when you wanted to bring them out you could just drive up with the backhoe or a tractor connect to them and move them out into the yard without all the lifting

This is correct to. What I've done right now is literally "roll" them end over end from the garage to that location. (ugh) I have a hand truck but the gravel makes it a little weird. Driving into work today I was wondering if I could somehow make a harness for them. Hook onto handles and hook other end into front or rear bucket and lift/carry away. Time will figure that one out.

That's kind of what I was thinking, my neighbor and I built an attachment to connect an old a pair of fork's from an old forklift that connects to the front of both of our tractors, we both have the ''quick disconnect buckets".

The easier you make moving them the more you will use them around the yard

lol surely you know that from one location, you can hear them ALL OVER the yard? no need to move them.

That's true

it could even be wired with alligator clips to the equipment battery as little power it draws.

He heh.... I don't have a T-amp.... only some Crowns. How would you get around crossover issues with something like that? I'm coming out of the Dx38.

I don't think a passive exists for these and the 402??

I forgot you like it a little loud [:o]

That's the thing if the 402 is used you have to have the DX 38 and two amps. If you had a different top end you could use a standard crossover and a single Crown amp or go completely portable with something more portable than a t-amp if you even needed to move somewhere else on the property.

I built an attachment to connect an old a pair of fork's from an old forklift that connects to the front of both of our tractors, we both have the ''quick disconnect buckets".

Nothing quick disconnect about any of my buckets. I'd have to create some kind of hook to grab (perhaps?) the handles? I think that might make them bottom heavy so maybe an entire sling to carry them from underneith, to the sides and a strap as well to the rear.

I don't know. Right now that is actually pretty low on my priority list. Just getting them working correcly is first.

I did look at the garage the other day.... I was thinking if it got cleaned out of some stuff that we might not need any longer (a rack of wood along the wall for when we were building things and needed various lumber or finish trim) I might be able to sneak these along that wall...

Welcome to the Madness Richard!

your wife is really loving you now, isn't she? As if perching those Jubilees in front of her floral girly chairs and poofy curtains wasn't enough, now you've dragged those old PA boxes in front of her fine home and landscaping.

what can I bring in September? (working most of August, Martha's Vineyard festival at end September).

Michael

poofy curtains

hahahahahahaah you said poofy curtains.....[<:o)]

(sigh.... you said poofy curtains...I'm so humiliated [:S])

[*-)]

what can I bring in September?

Well..... seeing as you did ask.... Marion (wife) said the other day that if this happens, we should also do an outdoor movie each night. Bro in law has a 10/15 foot (I forget) inflatable screen. Setup out in the field, MWM's on each side, 402 on top BUT....what are we gonna do about some bass?

I was thinking it would be really cool if we could obtain one or two 684/884's (if I have the correct numbers) and put one on each side.

Of course, I'd also love to hear a FULL STACK MCM 1900 blowing some wind......as well as the mighty KSP 600 stack doing the same.

How big is your Honda? [A]

Here's a somewhat rhetorical question..... if this happens... if we have some outdoor movies.... would it be better to do a concert DVD or another viewing of Transformers? (I just saw Transformers for the first time a couple weeks ago.... fell asleep during them both [:$])

(I just saw Transformers for the first time a couple weeks ago.... fell asleep during them both Embarrassed

I wathced the first one while I was in China. My fiancee fell asleep two different nights we tried to watch it. [:^)]