July's Poll! Can you have too many subs??

FireWave

There should be a poll attached to this post.

My personal opinion: Yes you can have too many subs. Although I have an 8" and a 12" hooked up so the 8 can handle 120-60Hz and the 12 can handle 60-25Hz. I like that setup. What do you think?

Well, True I am missing some good chest thumping 18Hz bass. But it all comes down to personal taste and budget. Now I would love to get some high end Sub's that throw down some serious low end. However that costs a lot of money and Im still in college.

...I would love to get some high end Subs that throw down some serious low end. However that costs a lot of money and I'm still in college.

Not a lot of money required at all. A few hundred will get you the materials to build a horn loaded (or tapped horn) sub. Assuming you have the motivation, access to some tools and copious amounts of beer (you ARE in college - you MUST have access to beer) you can have a sub that digs a lot deeper than 18Hz and sounds a lot better than subs costing many, many times more. It won't be pretty. It won't be small. It will loosen your floorboards and fillings, though.

I'd do it if I had the time, motivation and tools. I already have copious amounts of beer, which could be why I don't have the time, motivation and tools. [:$]

I don't like any of the options in the choices list, and the question is too vague!

Do you count the number of subs by the number of physical boxes, or by the physical number of drivers?

I you go by boxes, then I have 3 and want to end up with 4. If you count drivers, I have 4 eighteen inch drivers, and want to end up with 6, that will be enough for me.

Personally, I don't think it fair to call that monster that hurd built a single sub, but that is just me.

Can you have to many subs? I believe the answer is yes, and that would be when you have reached the level of Bass like some of these competition Bass vehicles have when they get to the level where the young girls hair are blowing all over from the air movement of something like 150 dB.

Roger

I'm not a big fan of subs in general - anything below $2000-3000 just sounds distorted/muddy or lacks punch. On the other hand a decent sub takes up too much space to keep it anywhere but a dedicated theater (somewhere behind walls/curtains).

So before we start talking about number, the quality and size should be discussed. Then the size of the room comes in - in some you need more than 1 or 2 to get the proper volume and dynamics. In others a single 15"-18" will work.

• Moderators

Not a lot of money required at all. A few hundred will get you the materials to build a horn loaded (or tapped horn) sub. Assuming you have the motivation, access to some tools and copious amounts of beer (you ARE in college - you MUST have access to beer) you can have a sub that digs a lot deeper than 18Hz and sounds a lot better than subs costing many, many times more. It won't be pretty. It won't be small. It will loosen your floorboards and fillings, though.

[Y]

Yes it will, and does, it does not take thousands of dollars or 15" or 18" drivers, just a good design.

I voted for two subs, each has two little 8" drivers which cost a whopping $70 each. Four drivers for a total of $280 and four sheets of hardwood plywood at $50 each for a total of about $500 or a little more including some glue and screws.

Add a nice amp and I would compare it to almost anything.

I have one of these (so far ) with MWM's for 2 Ch, and also for an all forte Ht, and another forum member has two in his room with Jubs, I am sure he would say the same thing.

Then we start talkingnot about "having too many subs" but "too much of a sub". After all, I personally don't have space for anything bigger than 1.5x1.5 feet. My current RSW-12 is too big for my living room.

Well, I didnt mean to make the poll to vague. Im was trying to keep it simple. I count the number of subs by the boxes. True some subs have more than one diaphragm, But my general rule is for counting subs is the box itself not the drivers. Thanks for taking time to explain.

• Moderators

I count the number of subs by the boxes.

I guess I don't have a sub then, I don't have any boxes (or cylinders).

Yes you do, one giant sub, and I would bet it's the biggest custom built cabinet for a sub on the forum !

It's so big your house is under it. [:o]