Beer research

Well...you know the saying about lite beer..

(it's like having sex in a canoe, F'ing close to water)

Generally true. However, I could name quite a few "full brews" that don't have the flavor of Amstel Light. Either they really figured something out or they are lying about the carbs. It's the real deal.

Dave

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dtel[Y][Y][Y][Y][Y][Y]- strictly the beer - not the politics

Schlitz draft in quart bottles- my first daily drinker back in the 70s- crusing around in my 70 Fiat spyder- hitting on the ladies from the local gathering place- always had a quart bottle in my lap or iunder the seat- Pre DWI days back when it was OK to drink and drive but you went Federal prison for a joint.

The draft was a great beer when I could not afford Heiniken. I bet the old good stuff would be up there today

Tried the new stuff about a year ago- not bad- but got tired of it quickly. If money gets short I will certainly consider it- yeingling is the bang for the buck beer around these parts.

• Moderators

Pre DWI days back when it was OK to drink and drive but you went Federal prison for a joint.

I remember those days, everyone from work would stop off at a local gas station that kept beer on ice and even had beer 3 for $1.25. And on Fridays the wives would meet us at a Joint up on Canal St in New Orleans, we would stay until it closed and drive home.

Now whenever we go out someone does not drink so they can drive, most of the time we don't drink that much but it's not worth taking a chance.

Many years ago we would go to these dances at the VFW Hall about 20 minutes outside of New Orleans on Saturday nights, it was rough. What made it rough was they usually had a good band and charged $20 a couple to get in, after you walk in they hand you a pitcher and you found a table. You would take the picture to the bar and included in that $20 was all the beer you could drink ! After about 4 hours of craziness with all the beer you could drink people would usually go to house parties. There was a policeman outside the parking lot to make sure everyone left the parking lot without any more sparks flying than necessary with crashes.

Looking back I miss those parties but everyone was crazy to drive after those parties. I love draft beer and like everyone there over did it! We would usually end up with a gang at our house until very late. [8]

Now at my age it would take me three days to recover.

Pre DWI days back when it was OK to drink and drive but you went Federal prison for a joint.

I remember those days, everyone from work would stop off at a local gas station that kept beer on ice and even had beer 3 for $1.25. And on Fridays the wives would meet us at a Joint up on Canal St in New Orleans, we would stay until it closed and drive home.

Now whenever we go out someone does not drink so they can drive, most of the time we don't drink that much but it's not worth taking a chance.

Many years ago we would go to these dances at the VFW Hall about 20 minutes outside of New Orleans on Saturday nights, it was rough. What made it rough was they usually had a good band and charged $20 a couple to get in, after you walk in they hand you a pitcher and you found a table. You would take the picture to the bar and included in that $20 was all the beer you could drink ! After about 4 hours of craziness with all the beer you could drink people would usually go to house parties. There was a policeman outside the parking lot to make sure everyone left the parking lot without any more sparks flying than necessary with crashes.

Looking back I miss those parties but everyone was crazy to drive after those parties. I love draft beer and like everyone there over did it! We would usually end up with a gang at our house until very late. Music

Now at my age it would take me three days to recover.

Geeezz.. does this sound familiar...

Oh yes Canal St in the big easy- was stationed at Kesler AFB in Biloxi from 72-73. Drinkathons in NO every weekend. I knew all of the gin joints on Canal St at the time. Fist fights- getting sick-waking up in strange places not knowing how I got there. The best one was waking up in the bushes on the Tulane Univ campus Sunday morning with a topless dancer ...who was still topless. No idea how I got there. Missed my ride back to the base. Had to call a buddy who lived there and beg him to take me back or be AWOL. Wonder I lived to tell about it. I did not have a car at the time which was a good thing for all concerned parties- especially the other drivers.

Anybody remember the Warehouse in NO??? Man did I see some great shows there

I really watch it drinking and driving. I maybe have 2 beers max or 1 mixed drink with dinner. I stay near the house. Whenever possible I call a cab or have a DD.

Every once in a while I will overindulge- typicall mixing wine with beer or liquior. Like you say 3 days to get over it

Oh yes Canal St in the big easy- was stationed at Kesler AFB in Biloxi from 72-73. Drinkathons in NO every weekend. I knew all of the gin joints on Canal St at the time. Fist fights- getting sick-waking up in strange places not knowing how I got there. The best one was waking up in the bushes on the Tulane Univ campus Sunday morning with a topless dancer ...who was still topless. No idea how I got there. Missed my ride back to the base. Had to call a buddy who lived there and beg him to take me back or be AWOL. Wonder I lived to tell about it. I did not have a car at the time which was a good thing for all concerned parties- especially the other drivers.

Anybody remember the Warehouse in NO??? Man did I see some great shows there

I really watch it drinking and driving. I maybe have 2 beers max or 1 mixed drink with dinner. I stay near the house. Whenever possible I call a cab or have a DD.

Every once in a while I will overindulge- typicall mixing wine with beer or liquior. Like you say 3 days to get over it

Yes, I remember the Warehouse in NO. I was there in the fall of '74. So I just missed you... I was at Tulane at that time and I think I remember that girl your were with.... lol..

• Moderators

The place everyone from work would all get together at on Canal St was called Musso's, it was on the corner, nothing special but we did spend many hours there.

I doubt we ever missed a show at the Warehouse, I even brought my wife there when she was pregnant for our oldest daughter. I just asked her who was playing that night and she said Marshal Tucker and Firefall.

That was a great place to hear a concert, it sounded great in there and they got some big names to play there and it only held a few thousand people. I remember the advertisements on the radio every time a show was coming to town, the company was called Beaver Productions. When the Warehouse first opened they were trying to do something with the floor, in there advertisement they would say bring in a 8x8 or 8x10 piece of carpet and get in for free, thats how all those pieces of carpet got on the floor.

My Dad worked for the Public Belt Railroad and it the tracks ran right on the side the Warehouse on the river side. If you remember the left side of the Warehouse had giant exhaust fans blowing out from that balcony area left of the stage. My Dad would tell me " I know what y'all are doing in there, we can smell it when we pass with the train " , that's about as close as we got to talking about smoking .

I loved that place, you could see some of the best bands there and not that they had any place to sit but there was not a bad seat in the house.

• Moderators

Yes, I remember the Warehouse in NO. I was there in the fall of '74. So I just missed you... I was at Tulane at that time and I think I remember that girl your were with.... lol..

If you went to Tulane, you probably went to the Maple Leaf bar on Oak St, fun area also, on the weekends the party was all the way down the street.

Thanks for the wild picture you guys are painting! Shoot, I went to college in dull old California. I did date my English teacher (10 years my elder) though. She'll be 65 in October. (!!??!!??) Oh, had a few beers, too.[:P]

I lit up in the Warehouse once. Three bouncers were on us like white on rice- told to put it out - NOW

Surprised me based on what I had heard.

The best show I saw there was Traffic in 72 0r 73- blew me away- I do remember that one- Steve Windwood was unbelievable. I think I saw Foghat there-they were good also- My memory of the 70s has been clouded by too many bottles among other things.

• Moderators

I lit up in the Warehouse once. Three bouncers were on us like white on rice- told to put it out - NOW

Surprised me based on what I had heard.

That does surprise me also, we were usually toward in the middle of the floor, you could just stand there and people would pass it around.

The best show I saw there was Traffic in 72 0r 73- blew me away- I do remember that one- Steve Windwood was unbelievable. I think I saw Foghat there-they were good also- My memory of the 70s has been clouded by too many bottles among other things.

They did have some good shows there, I have a hard time remembering most of them. I remember Peter Frampton he was pretty good but the band that opened for him was really good,Gary Wright, he played some kind of organ and the sound from that thing made it feel like the room was spinning around, I think it was the organ ?

I wish I would have saved the old tickets so so I could remember who we had seen.

I saw Gary wright in Va back inthe 70s- I believe he also played wit Spooky Tooth if I am not mistaken. His show was awesome- He has a really good album called Footprint-Impossible to find.

In my search for the perfedt Pilsner- tried Scrimshaw- too light and mundane for my taste- Found Checovar in 6 packs for 9.99 which is cheap- normally 12.00

This one is a winner- MAMA'S LITTLE YELLAH PILS out of Colorado- 12 oz cans- Full bodied-Apparently is has success and recognition as it is sold in NC and other states.I really enjoyed it.

I still have the albums from the 70s- may havfe to pick up the CD- thanks

HOW BAD DOES THIS SUCK???????

I am having a wonderful meal last night at the Sushi bar where they have my new found favorite Beer- Heavy Seas Uber Pils on draft. I order another and the batrender brings me a 3/4 full glass with this sad look on his face. He informs me that this is the last they have. Their beers are on a corporate rotation????????? WTF?????????????????????. It will be months before it will return. I don't get it. The bottles they had sold out. The draft sold out. So - If people like something and you are out-- Duhhhhh- Buy some more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No that would make too much sense.

Then we had to finish out the meal with Chamay which costs like 6 bucks for a 12 oz bottle.Good Belgian beer but not worth the stupid price.