Beer research

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

You had a can opener in the glovebox for opening oil cans for the engine, and beer cans for your engine.

Not having a church key would bring your car and you plans to a stop...

Also, few remember that crushing a beer can in one hand used to mean something. Those Jax cans were ALL steel. If you observed Bubba looking at you and collapsing one with his left hand, it was time to head south at high speed.

Dave

That's funny

Was glad to see the pop top changed out for the newer style tops, those suckers were dangerous is you stepped on one.

Remember Falstaff from New Orleans, now that was really nasty it taste like they made from Mississippi river water.

I remember Falstaff all too well . My father used to get cheap generic " white can labeled BEER " from the Coast Guard Base . It had made by Falstaff written on the bottom . Even as a kid I knew that stuff was nasty , and you know kids will drink anything .
Back in the 70's, when I lived in Austin, you could buy that cheap generic beer with just "beer" written on it. The white can "beer" six packs were generally right next to the other great selection, "Billy Beer."

A few good, hoppy beers for those of you south of the border: Dogfish 60 IPA, Brooklyn Lager, Southern Tier IPA. A few months ago I got an opportunity to try Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, very nice flavour and body. None of these beers would appeal to those of you who like a mainstream U.S. beer. Many of the microbreweries make superior beer, but then it depends on your taste buds. Some people think Bud is a good beer? I've never had the opportunity, but I've heard great reviews about this high hop IPA, Stone Ruination IPA.

• Moderators

Country Club Malt Liquor, for when you want more than seven and you will be in the close proximity to a toilet the entire next day.

That's funny, it reminds me of a friend of mine.

Many years ago my friend thought Coors was something special probably because it was not yet available in Louisiana, so for his birthday I found him a case. He thought it was great, until the next day and the day after then he changed his mind.

As for me a MGD ice cold will do just fine but if I want to treat myself then I will go for some St. Paulie girls.

I remember when I worked part time at a liquor store during college, there was a guy we dubbed St. Paulie Guy. Everyday he come in buying one 12 pack and one 24 ouncer of that stuff. And this was at 10 am so he was drinking on the job, at our university golf course. I can picture it now, one guy hits a ball into a sand trap full of empty st. paulie girl bottles.

As for current beer in general I am overall impressed with abitha amber. I was introduced to it when I was at the dtel's, (well when I was in new orleans)

I like to make/drink my own. Currently have 8 on tap with 10 gallons of lager and 10 gallons of an IPA in my fermenters. Any light pilsner makes a fine summer drink. For all of you Blue Moon fans do yourself a favor and look for some Hoegaarden.

Perlick29.jpg

st-patricks-beer-hoegaarden-ss.jpg

Does anybody remember the cans (Coors? Strohs?) with the circular, push in tabs? There was nothing to pull, just two round areas that you would push to open the can. One to drink out of and one smaller one for the vent. I don't think they lasted very long as most people cut their thumbs when they opened the cans.

I like to make/drink my own. Currently have 8 on tap with 10 gallons of lager and 10 gallons of an IPA in my fermenters. Any light pilsner makes a fine summer drink. For all of you Blue Moon fans do yourself a favor and look for some Hoegaarden.

Perlick29.jpg

st-patricks-beer-hoegaarden-ss.jpg

Great setup... Makes me thirsty just looking...

Golly I miss San Antonio Pearl as a daily drinker. It was a damn fine beer. A small amount dribbles out of the Miller brewery in Foat Wuth now... cans only. An honest lager that consistantly won blind tests.

I heard Schlitz had returned to their old ways, but I haven't had any. I need to grab a sixer, if I can find some.

Here at Casita Verano, we tend toward the Spaten, Rahr & Sons, Shiner Blonde*, Summit, Weihenstephaner and Hacker-Pschorr beers. MaiBocks and Marzens preferred.

BIG GREAT NEWS! Shiner is bringing back their Shiner 96 brew, which is as good an Oktoberfest/Marzen Bier as I have ever tasted.

* Do not like Shiner Bock. I'll drink a free one and not compain, but it's a poor excuse for a bock-style beer.