Beer research

This miserable hot weather gives me yet another excuse for beer research

Here are my latest finds

Heavy seas uber pilsner- the draft is unbelievable- five stars for this one- but$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Checovar pilsner-

Eisenbecker pilsner

Any other great pilsner reccomendations are appreciated

My standard is Pilsner UIrquel

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy, do I have a shock for you guys. SCHLITZ! Yep, the beer that made Milwaukee famous...it's BAAACK. And by "back," I mean the original formula that was one of the most popular beers in the country for decades until they decided to monkey with it and started turning out owl piss.

He had a few brought in from Minnesota. They are, rather wisely, expanding slowly and on the basis of demand. I'm told San Antonio is up in the not too distant future.

Interestingly, he had some Blue Moon as well. I only drank two of the Schlitz, as it isn't cheap or easy to come by yet. So I switched to Blue Moon. No contest. The Schlitz was, as lagers go, bold, smooth, clean and made me remember the "When you're out of Schlitz, you're out of BEER" campaign from the sixties.

Loved the retro long neck and label as well.

Dave

• Moderators

And by "back," I mean the original formula that was one of the most popular beers in the country for decades until they decided to monkey with it and started turning out owl piss.

Still laughing at this description. [Y]

I remember Schlitz well, along with Pearl and the original Dixie, before they turned it into owl piss and went out of business.

Remember Falstaff from New Orleans, now that was really nasty it taste like they made from Mississippi river water.

Keep laughing dtel when I was a young man with a little tyke to feed it was the cheapest all I could afford owl piss! Now my son laughs about it and i have to remind him that it was a diaper money trumped beer money time of my (and his) life. Now you've got me laughing...

"I remember Schlitz well, along with Pearl and the original Dixie, before they turned it into owl piss and went out of business."

Ever sat in a jungle clearing, mixed pallet of warm Schlitz and PBR, NO can opener, just a bayonet? Well... There yah have it!!! Finest beer in the world is the beer you have when you have nothing else...... [Y] SF rule #24... 2 x beers for a 12 man team = 24...... cases....

"I remember Schlitz well, along with Pearl and the original Dixie, before they turned it into owl piss and went out of business."

Ever sat in a jungle clearing, mixed pallet of warm Schlitz and PBR, NO can opener, just a bayonet? Well... There yah have it!!! Finest beer in the world is the beer you have when you have nothing else...... Yes SF rule #24... 2 x beers for a 12 man team = 24...... cases.... Beer

If you remember those beers, you must also remember the great taste of JAX beer, out of New Orleans.

• Moderators

Keep laughing dtel when I was a young man with a little tyke to feed it was the cheapest all I could afford owl piss! Now my son laughs about it and i have to remind him that it was a diaper money trumped beer money time of my (and his) life. Now you've got me laughing...

I know exactly what your talking about, I had disposed of a trainload of .......Schaefer, Strohs, and many of the cheap beers. Back then it was like $8 for a case of Schaefer Light and it was always along for camping trips, fishng trips, everywhere but work, I drank alot of beer back then. [:S] After the first 5-6 they all tasted the same. [:o]

Well, from some of the reminiscences I get the feeling many here don't know that Schlitz was once a premium beer. The cheap stuff the sold after the fall had nothing in common with it but the label. Sad.

As to Jax, fine in it's heyday, along with Dixie and Pearl (from the country of 1100 springs). Falstaff was ALWAYs nasty and I've never understood how it was ever national. Perhaps it was the "Falstaff game of the week with Dizzie Dean!" Their (unlamented) end came with a campaign calling it "Papa Joe Greasydicks beer." I am NOT kidding. Perhaps "Greasydick" was spelled some other way, but that is how it was said and I only heard it on the radio and TV. Now THAT's a good way to kill a beer. "Sheeit, bubba, let's go git some of that beer made by that geasydick feller!"

As to Jax, for years, almost everybody, even Baptists, could be occasionally heard to break into "Hello, mellow yellow little Darlin, you're thuh beer for me, yessiree!

Jax came to an end with "the Fabacher family brew." So they tried to distance themselves from Jackson and get close to Fabacher. Most still remember Jackson, some still remember Jax, nobody remembers Andrew Fabacher.

Very creative, these brand killers.

Dave

Back then it was like $8 for a case of Schaefer Light and it was always along for camping trips, fishng trips, everywhere but work, I drank alot of beer back then

Berghoff 1887 at 5.00/case in Arkansaw was about as cheap as I recall...

At the time, I thought "Wow, they must have made a LOT of beer in 1887 and are really trying to get rid of it."

Dave

Remember Falstaff from New Orleans, now that was really nasty it taste like they made from Mississippi river water.

I remember Falstaff all too well . My father used to get cheap generic " white can labeled BEER " from the Coast Guard Base . It had made by Falstaff written on the bottom . Even as a kid I knew that stuff was nasty , and you know kids will drink anything .

You had a can opener in the glovebox for opening oil cans for the engine, and beer cans for your engine.

Not having a church key would bring your car and your plans to a stop...

Also, few remember that crushing a beer can in one hand used to mean something. Those Jax cans were ALL steel. If you observed Bubba looking at you and collapsing one with his left hand, it was time to head south at high speed.

Dave

• Moderators

Ever sat in a jungle clearing, mixed pallet of warm Schlitz and PBR, NO can opener, just a bayonet?

Can't say I have, [:|] but I am laughing because I can just picture it and not just anyone can ask that and be serious. Bet it did the job between the heat and the warm beer.