Beer research

We used to get Pearl here as well. it sold well- had a following- then just went away- dist issues we were told by the manager of the Winn Dixie.

I remember the round no tab cans- there was a nifty little opener you could buy to pop them- you drank a few Coors- misplaced thje opening tool - then cut the c**p out of your thumb opening the cans. Wake the next afternoon wondering why your thumb was sliced up.

Does anyone remember a beer from the 60s called Hub???? required an oil can opener. A friends dad had a big stash of it and we used to swipe it as teen agers- mighty fine as I remember

Total wine in Char NC has pilsner Urquel for 11.99 a 12 as the daily price. they run Newcastle for 10.99 on occasion.

i am telling you guys-get on the internet and find out if the highseas uber pilsner is sold in your area. It is a 10 IMHO.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard Schlitz had returned to their old ways, but I haven't had any. I need to grab a sixer, if I can find some.

Yes, there wasn't really much of a "HUZZAH!" when I brought that up, but hardly shocking since there are only a few of us who would remember the real deal.

My own tastes are pretty general in that I find any beer produced remotely according the Rheinhietsgebot (not going to check spelling) to be varying shades of just fine.

However, I frankly believe anyone who has a taste for good beer will find the "new" Schlitz the equal or superior to any craft brew you can get. I just how they don't screw it up again...

Dave

Dave,

I was a big Schlitz beer drinker in the early and mid 70's and I would always say what a great after taste it had after you gulped some down. Then I quit drinking it when they decided to make it into "owl piss" (man I love that discription). i have tried the new and supposedly old formula and I was disappointed, maybe after 30+ years, the mind and taste buds do not act the same, or maybe it was just a bad batch that got ruined somehow. Upon your recommendation I may just have to give it another shot.

Cliff

For your Summer hot weather drinking, may I suggest Big Boss Angry Angel? It's one of my favorite warm weather beers.

Not to mention the Big Boss Brewery is in Raleigh. They have a brewery tour each month. You should join us sometime. (have a designated driver[:P])

I was a big Schlitz beer drinker in the early and mid 70's and I would always say what a great after taste it had after you gulped some down.

Pretty much what I experienced with the "new" old Schlitz. Excellent, strong flavor, nothing remaining on the tongue but bubbles. Dark Schlitz was the first dark draft I recall in my part of the south. The Shiner Bock of its day...

Dave

My current favorite is Schneider & Sohn Aventinus - It's a Wheat Dopplebock but man is it good and smoooooth a bit pricey but well worth the cost. If you want a lighter beer try the Westephaner Wiess Clear (filtered wheat). My favorite local brew is by Magic Hat it's called Circus Boy another one I like is their #9. Just had a brewfest here in Burlington, VT last weekend with some Canadian companies represented man they can make some killer beer. Had a blonde tripel bock that was unreal and packed quite the punch.

I sat in the Spatenbrau tent at Ocktoberfest and they had some great beer as well. Parkbrau Pirminator's were one of my favorite fall beers in Germany, the Paulaner Salvator would wipe you out after three but the beers are 16oz pints overthere.

My brother in law is an awesome brewer and has made many very favorable and exotic brews. He has a website dedicated to beer, visit www.cellarmonk.com and sign up. You can post & read reviews and many other things.

Prost!

You know, one thing that has continuosly improved over my lifetime is BEER! When I was a teenager it took about 30 seconds to choose a beer, given that there were maybe seven or so at best. A tap with two was a feast.

Now, there's a 130 or more at Gingerman with 50 or more on tap.

Granted, nobody had ever heard of a "dropped call" back then, but I'll trade crappy phone service for great beer anyday.

Dave

From an article in the St. Petersburg Times... (http://www.tampabay.com/features/food/spirits/article478964.ece )

10. Coors Aspen Edge If giving up carbs means giving up any semblance of body or flavor, as is the case with this "beer," it is probably better to carry a few extra pounds.

9. Milwaukee's Best I understand this is a sentimental favorite of many, as it takes them back to the old days. Well, human sacrifice harkens to a simpler time, too. If you want to kill your taste buds, try battery acid — it probably tastes better.

8. Sleeman Clear Lager Another low-carb entry, though here the delicate and nuanced notes of lighter fluid and Dumpster drippings on a blistering August day achieves heretofore unknown lows.

7. Cave Creek Chili Beer This is the perfect beer for people who hate themselves and desire punishment. This unholy union of a whole chili pepper and a fiendishly nasty pale lager will get medieval on your tongue.

6. Winter Park Beer While Orlando Brewing makes many fine ales and lagers, they also make this vitamin-infused blasphemy. Generally, when people say things like, "Fruit doesn't belong in beer," I think of the many excellent fruit Lambics and disagree. But, vitamins? Vitamin flavor doesn't belong in beer! Heck, it doesn't even belong in vitamins — it's just that the vitamin companies haven't found a way to make vitamins palatable. And neither have the brewers of this beer.

5. Bootie U95 I thought with a name like Bootie, the makers of this brew were attempting to position it as a dance club beer. Turns out, it simply describes the aroma. Tallahassee Ratebeer.com member Aurelius sums up the Bootie this way: "The name sounds like some sort of nuclear isotope in a barium enema, and it delivers all the flavor the name suggests."

4. Hurricane High Gravity Lager This malt liquor is to beer what Carlos Mencia is to comedy: crass and phony. The unfettered use of cheap ingredients, designed solely to supply alcohol on the cheap, imparts the aroma of acetone and chemical solvents. Yummy. Safety Harbor Ratebeer.com member Ibrew2or3 has this to say: "Should I be drinking something that smells like an auto shop?"

3. Chapeau Exotic This Lambic is proof that rare Belgian beers are capable of great suckitude. Writes Orlando Ratebeer.com member Boboski: "One sip leads to a joyful drain pour. I hope it doesn't ruin my sink."

2. Camo Genuine Ale The can has 5 X's on it, but all are missing the little skulls that would inform people of what is really inside Camo cans. If lethal doses of corn sugar and nail polish are your thing, Camo is your beer.

1. Busch NA Non-alcoholic beers are bad by nature. Remove alcohol, remove flavor. But Busch NA seems to have gotten around the alcohol part of the beer by steeping corn husks in seltzer water to make a tea that Andrew Zimmern wouldn't drink.

[H]

You know, one thing that has continuosly improved over my lifetime is BEER! When I was a teenager it took about 30 seconds to choose a beer, given that there were maybe seven or so at best. A tap with two was a feast.

Now, there's a 130 or more at Gingerman with 50 or more on tap.

Granted, nobody had ever heard of a "dropped call" back then, but I'll trade crappy phone service for great beer anyday.

Dave

A cold Harp, from the Gingerman, is tempting right now.

Well, something should be said about low carb beers. As a type one diabetic, it behooves me to keep the carbs down when involved in a beerathon or spend too much time monitoring blood glucose. My favorites are Amstel Light, which tastes like a full blown American lager and still comes in at carbs on the order of Miller Lite, and Rolling Rock Lite, which isn't too far behind.

I'll drink Miller Lite in a pinch, but it has that "missing something" taste. The rest of popular American lites are missing even more.

Of course, if I am seriously into beer for beer's sake I just crank up the insulin pump and enjoy.

Dave