has anyone dared this ?

quadklipsh

hi all......

guys i just had a wild idea about DE HORNing my RF3s ,and see how they would sound compared to my fostex . but hey,fostex rm 800 are again horn loaded.okayyyy, ill compare em with celestions here .the point is simple,n that is to hear a klipsch without its horn .

how would that thing do ? plz someone can highlight on this before i go beserk with the experiment ....lolz.

would the horn harshness which is typical of klipsch go away (sorry i disagree but as many people around the globe say horns do sound ruff and harsh )

Horn harshness?

Horn honesty more like. I encounter horn bias all the time. Just ignore it and enjoy your horns. However if there is something wrong sure there could be harshness just make sure everything is functioning properly from source to speakers. Horns can be the cleanest most dynamic speakers you will own. I doubt dehorning will fix your problem. You will likely create more than your trying to fix. There is alot of engineering in those boxes.

Nice quad gear I've always wanted to give it a try.

• Moderators

Once I tried a driver from a LaScala K 55 V I think it was without the horn connected to see if the driver was working. I can't see how that would possibly work without the horn, it did not sound very good and I would think would never have enough volume ?

Sounds like you are looking or need to try another speaker model. I know there are not many Klipsch around your parts, what if you could buy the drivers and crossovers and build your on cabinet to make a different klipsch model, this would be cheaper on shipping.

hi all......

guys i just had a wild idea about DE HORNing my RF3s ,and see how they would sound compared to my fostex . but hey,fostex rm 800 are again horn loaded.okayyyy, ill compare em with celestions here .the point is simple,n that is to hear a klipsch without its horn .

how would that thing do ? plz someone can highlight on this before i go beserk with the experiment ....lolz.

would the horn harshness which is typical of klipsch go away (sorry i disagree but as many people around the globe say horns do sound ruff and harsh )

Sorry, I like my speakers with horns. They sound better that way.

[:o]

hi all......

Our Dear Friend Quadklipsch, who we love almost as much as Sally Fields.........you are hanging around the WRONG people!

Horns - Ruff and Harsh? [^o)]

Not mine! [<:o)]

Dennie

If you truly want what you're writing about buy a different speaker brand that was designed to be a non-horn speaker.

On one hand there's modifying/upgrading your speakers, on the other hand there's this little thing called "let's think our ideas through before posting them on the internet for the entire world to see."

hi all......

WTF?

would the horn harshness which is typical of klipsch go away (sorry i disagree but as many people around the globe say horns do sound ruff and harsh

Quadklipsch, there are only a small number of people around the globe who understand "accurate." Those gathered under this Forum represent a lot of them. If accuracy isn't an issue for you...and there is no reason it should be...horns are not what you need. At traffic lights in my home city of Houston I often hear massive automobile stereos woofing bass that feels like a minor earthquake and blaring music so poorly recorded it would be excruciating played back on an accurate system.

Accuracy is for people who want not only to detect the differences between an Amati and a Stradivarius violin, but right down to the microphones used and their distance from the source. It's about small nuances in listening spaces. It's about being able to determine if the Meyerson Symphony Center was half full, full, or empty when a recording was made and what position the movable overhead reflectors were in.

It's also about harsh sounds from CD's poorly transcoded from various sample rates or clipped, and a wide variety of bad things that can happen between the source and the reciever. I won't list them all.

Many of us experienced what you are going through with our first horn loaded system. Instead of getting rid of the horns, we got rid of the offending material.

What type of music that is "global" in nature do you like? I'll bet we can provide you with a number of fine recordings we know sound great on accurate systems and make one's ears smile.

If, after sampling those, you still find the presence of uncomprised accuracy too bright and clear, move on. You will neither be the first nor the last to do so.

Dave

>>If, after sampling those, you still find the presence of uncomprised accuracy too bright and clear, move on. You will neither be the first nor the last to do so.

very good advice...you don't have to listen to speakers you do not enjoy...

Oh cmon wuzzer. U sound like a true professor. U got me all wrong.

I never said anything bad for horns. I truly love my purchase. They are my best speakers. Once when i unscrewed em up, just over zealous to have aa look inside the cabinets, i found the tweeters attached to well engineered horns. My inquisition soared. That how wud these tweeters be, if it wasnt for the horns.

1. Wud the high sensitivity drop.( into late 80s or early 90s decibels.)

2. Wud the focus of musical instruments fall out of position.

3. Wud the tweeter keep up with the woofers.

4. Wud klipsch still be sounding like klipsch, authoritative and engaging.

5. Wud the energy be distributed throughout the room.

And lastly

6. What would happen to the sweetspot.

Stop thrashing me. You always do.

I know this land. Its klipsch world. And i donot challenge those engineers. Okay?

Malette.

Thanks dude.

I appreciate your account.

Ofcourse i shall hunt for the best recorded materials here.

Unfortunately very few people in my range , keep em.

I have only 2 or 3 friends, who have good trained ears and have good recordings to plaay with.

I usually am crippled by the piracy here.

So what we get is mostly downloaded stuff. The bit rates are sometimes less than 192kbps. i prefer 320kbps.

They are all MP3s. And i know this sounds absurd, to have to play crap source material through klipsch (very revealing of bad recording)

As per your query, i mostly listen to yanni, vangelis, and keiko matsui.

In rock music, there is this Evanescence, pinkfloyd. And nightwish too.

Others are indian or asian music. But not much.

Id sure look upto your suggestions for a much better music.

Seti.

I always wanted to share quad experience. But no one here seems interested.
What about you. Have you ever had one. Attached to klipsch.
Tell us about your gear, too.
Thanks.

First time I heard tubes was a Quad II system with Klipschorns. That quality always stuck in my head. I'd love to have a pair or two of electrocstatics just to have something different. They would be the exact opposite of my horn systems. A pair of ESL-57's would be pretty.

I've been through lots of Klipsch speakers but currently have Klipschorns in my TV room and Jubilee clones in my listening room.