Free Vintage Handmade Klipsch - A Long Story

L.A.B.

In the 50's my father acquired plans to build a Klipschorn and he built one. I remember him saying that until the unit was complete, there was no way of knowing if it was built correctly! Anyway, it worked (he never got around to building a second one). Almost every Sunday we had listening sessions in the living room.

He loved all types of music and he sat us down to "just listen" (no coloring, puzzles, etc.). He loved jazz the most, but I think E. Power Biggs emanating from the Klipsch was the most fun for him.

My father passed away in 1980 and after a few years my mother moved the Klipsch out to the garage. Now my mother is going to assisted living and I'm in the process of helping her move out of the house that she has lived in since 1962. I have fond memories of the Klipsch but cannot keep it. It was in the garage for a long time (not sure if any critters are living in it, although it was wrapped in a protective tarp) and it hasn't been tested to see if it still works, but I thought that it may be a great learning tool for someone - a DIY enthusiast perhaps? I do not want to see it go into the dumpster. I decided to contact this board rather than listing it on Craigslist as I figured I would find the most enthusiastic and knowledgeable fans here.

I found the plans yesterday - it looks like my father meticulously copied them in his own hand. I will scan and print out the diagrams that can go with the Klispchorn. My uncle was an engineer affiliated with M.I.T. and I think that my father copied the plans that he had (my uncle also built one). Another uncle became envious about of all of this sonic awesomeness, but he had more money to spend, so he bought a pair of Klipschorns! More stories followed about cracked walls, etc.

Anyway, if you've made it this far a huge thanks to you! I took some photos but they are too dark, so I will post photos (or links to photos) sometime next week when I return.

The wood is finished in a very light color. I just realized that I left the plans at my mother's house, so if they listed a particular model number I'll post that info next week, too.

North of Boston. Pick up only.

Welcome to the forums and very generous offer on your part.

Are you sure you want to give the speaker away? If my Dad had hand built something like that I'd want to keep it!

It has been a difficult decision to part with it, but I don't have the space (city living in a small apartment). I've kept many other things (wonderful vinyl collection, B&O turntable, vintage amps and reel-to-reels, among many other treasures). I'm hoping that it will go to a good home soon. It could probably go into storage for a little while, but that adds up.

ll

What a great story! Best of luck to you moving your Mom, and getting rid of posessions, especially ones that carry such good memories. Have you at least tried the Klipschorn in your house? When it's tucked into the corner (as opposed to being in the middle of the room) it practically disappears! We forum members would be enthusiastic in helping you assemble, perhaps, a mono system utilizing the Khorn. But really, you should at least try it (we can also advise on proper placement) and give it one last go before bidding it farewell. I don't mean to make parting with it harder than it already is, but just wanted to be sure you'd thought it over completely. As I said, best of luck!!

BTW, I want to shop at weirdo records...

Thanks, everyone, for your responses and advice! Just when I had "made peace" with parting with it. :)

My current apartment is a long, narrow loft and the only available corner has the heating unit in it. It's also populated with a grand piano, 3 contrabasses, 3 small harps and numerous other instruments. We probably won't be living here forever, so maybe it makes sense to at least see if the Khorn (forgot that was the abbreviation) works.

I need to make a decision soon, and I've had several offers since I posted here that I'm following up on. I like the idea of considering a mono system, though.

@fini -you saw my video! thanks! Weirdo Records is the best.

Update - looks like it has a new home. Had several responses and it feels like the right thing to do at this point. I will still post pictures of the plans - they are very beautiful and interesting.

p.s. surprised at how many people would be here on a Sunday morning!

• 1 year later...

Well, two years later I'm reviving this post. I am again offering the Khorn to anyone who would like to pick it up. It's currently in Marshfield, MA. I think that it would be a great learning piece for someone who would like to take it apart and see how one is made. It was moved from one garage to another so I'm sure that it has been home to a few generations of critters and I wouldn't be surprised if there is some damage.

Also, I received a few private messages when I posted this in 2010, but am unable to retrieve them (I guess they are beyond the search time). I would have contacted those members first - my apologies!

I am very intersed in your dads Klipschorn , I would love a shot at bringing it back to life .

I have another hand built Klipschorn From Medfeild ma and would love a pair.

I sent email

Sounds like a perfect match. A longtime member who is looking for an early match to a single speaker. Please post a thread of the restoration. I was hoping that a newby who wanted to flip it did not get it.

Hey, L.A.B. . . . Your story touched me . . . About any of us would love and learn to cherish it too for its backstory, but I agree with others: is there someone n your extended family who loved your Dad too and would appreciate it? Yours is the last post I am reading tonight . . . Thank you for sending to sleep ole with such a sweet story story to take me there. Many thanks for sharing your story and your heart'

Great! I just sent you a message.

I am very intersed in your dads Klipschorn , I would love a shot at bringing it back to life .

I have another hand built Klipschorn From Medfeild ma and would love a pair.

I sent email

Hey, L.A.B. . . . Your story touched me . . . About any of us would love and learn to cherish it too for its backstory, but I agree with others: is there someone n your extended family who loved your Dad too and would appreciate it? Yours is the last post I am reading tonight . . . Thank you for sending to sleep ole with such a sweet story story to take me there. Many thanks for sharing your story and your heart'

Thanks, Rhetor!

I'm the gearhead in the family, but I am glad that I've reached out to this community - an extended virtual family, in a sense!

I can assist with pre-move testing if the giver and taker are interested, or with the move itself within reason.

I have a set of modded Speakerlab Ks and have a reasonably trained ear (my Klipsch history: quartets, two sets of la scalas, cornwalls, the speakerlab Ks, and heresies.)