the truth shall set you free

chambers1517

Several of my friends, and myself have been debating about speaker cables for years now. I have a premium set and was cleaning out some junk and found a very cheap roll of wal-mart wire. So I wired the cheap stuff to B switch on my amp and connected the other end to my speakers. I know some may think this dangerous to the amp but A&B are connected to the same output they just allow you to switch between pairs of speakers. When A is pushed electrons only flow through The (good) wire, And when B is pushed it only flows through the cheap wire, also when both are pushed it flows through both. Some may say this taints the results, but anyone who knows fundamental electronics or even electricity also knows when no load is present (a or B switched off) that wire carries no current or signal. My friends all agreed that this was a fair test, so with each sitting in the sweet spot one at a time the results were amazing. There was six of us The only one who believed there would be no difference is an electronics professor at a local college.Switching from A to B not one of us could tell witch was being used. Actually with the amp hid , we could not even tell when they were switched, when for example it went from A on to both on to A off etc. The only thing that tipped off a switch was the quiet during the switch when both were off. Not only could we not tell A from B, we couldnt tell A or B from A & B.To say we were surprised was an understatement. Everyone double checked my wires because something had to be wrong. These cable manufactures are making a killing and ripping us off..............

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You decide to make this your 2nd post on this board? There have been numerous threads on here about wire (and other Forums) and you will always have your beleivers and non-beleivers. Why don't you give us more specifics such as the equipment that was used, interconnects, source material, etc...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

I have an adcom GFA-585 limited stereo amp, GTP 502 pre amp, silver sonic cables. Also have a set of klipschorns,and lascalas. We listned to everything from Bach to Zapp. Also to change the subject. In 1980 I didnt know a thing about audio. I was trying to decide between Bose 9901 and a large set of cerwin vega. I went to circit city every week to compare. I happened to stop by a speciality shop to look around. I couldnt help but notice a funny looking little speaker on a rotating stand. It sounded great. I asked the guy at circit city If he would allow me to bring those in to his store and compare to his speakers. He said he couldnt. I asked the guy at the other store if I could bring in the Bose or Cerwin vega and compare to his and he said sure. So I bought those funny little speakers that day. They were Klipsch Heresys. They have a trade in policy and I traded up every year until I got the Klipschorns. Then I started orer with some 1.1s and am now up to lascalas. So you can see Ive been at this for a while I have owned lots of Klipsch speakers and know many of them well. I can say if it werent for that one guy saying I could compare speakers in his store I would probably have a different hobby. Speakers make a huge difference ,Wires dont.

Agreed.

I will, at the most, buy some 12 gague from Parts Express for under .40 cents a foot. I would also get banana plugs with gold plating/leafing. I WILL NOT buy Monster or Kimber.

OK: I bought a 6' optical cable at Rat Shack for $35.99. I discovered partsexpress.com and found the SAME CABLE for $2.99 EACH!!!!!!!! I returned the cable to Radio Shack, chewed out the manager, and bought a new cable set for my whole system with that $35.99 on line. Radio Shack screws you on some of the stuff.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

This is nothing more than a troll in my opinion. Chambers, why would you post such an obviously controversial topic (which is argued over and over and over and over and over and over again -- which should be obvious to you if you bothered to do a search for this topic), other than to pick a fight? No reason. Congratulations, because it will work, as it always does. Big deal. Just like posts about tubes vs. ss and whether or not Bose stinks, etc., etc. Yawn.

Sorry James. You may agree with Chambers, and maybe I do too, but it is not a "good job" to troll, and that is all this is. Too bad.

good post -

hey josh - i don't think it's trolling when a person decides to post something based on a unique experience. I found the post interesting. Not everyone here has taken the time to actually do a A/B comparison in such a manner.

My only concern would be the quality of the wire used in the switching circuit. If the switching electronics are el cheapo -- than it seems more than possible that one would not be able to hear the benefits of a better cable. In other words -- there would be a masking effect.

Although I believe there is a difference -- I don't think the difference between cables is all that noticable at the lower SPL's -- I actually don't hear a difference at all until I put the juice to the speakers -- it's in the treble where I notice a little less grain as compared to a cheap speaker cable.

I would certainly have to agree that the change in sonics are greatly exaggerated.

------------------

dean

This message has been edited by deang on 03-29-2002 at 08:10 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1340878464 OK, now here is a relatively inexpensive cable that sounds wonderful on any speaker. It is very similar to my Magnum Hybrid from the same maker. The nice thing about it is the insulator is of high quality and heavy gauge, but most importantly, the +/- wires are spaced far apart as to minimize the effect on one another. It is a great price too(I am NOT the seller).

Each to his own. I have found otherwise. McCall agrees with Chambers. So does KevinS. These kinds of posts only server as a softball floater right down the pike.

Feel happy you will no longer be duped. Your Mind can now be closed, case wrapped tight. Rest assured, you have many who will agree with you here, 100%. And you did just save yourself a few ducats and probably will enjoy the music all the same.

I, of course, dont share this view at all; then again, we have different systems, different rooms, different experiences, and perhaps different tunes.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

Here Here!!

Tennessee boys do know to how to pick a fight. I for one didn't know squat about HT equipment and have only started to update my outdated equipment. My SAE amp and tuner are sitting in my attic now. I do lurk and try to learn from others mistakes and am willing to try new things. I did get rid of my TOSLINK and replaced it with a Coax...In my mind it made a difference. I have discovered that I have a voltage problem that reared its ugly head when I replaced my Heresey's with KLF-30's. I need a dedicated circuit and maybe (in what order?) a Richard Gray Power Company gizmo box. When will it end? It was much simplier when there was only two speakers and some zipcord hooked up to your amp. I for one will enjoy this thread and the many more like it in the future.

This message has been edited by Michael Greenway on 03-30-2002 at 10:36 PM

That's funny. I thought I was being tolerant? Strange, even when you TRY to be tolerent, someone will come running.

Excuse me, lynnm? I dont know how many ways I said in ONE post that there are ALL sides to this equation. You seem to be reading a bit much into "your mind can now be closed" on the matter.

If you READ the TITLE of the post, I dont think it was an unfair assumption. Do you?

Please save the red, white, and blue for those patriotic days while down south and when I REALLY DO go off on some post.

Christ, I write a damn post saying there are ALL sides and even congratulate the lad on saving some ducats and you come out with a tribute to the USA. For a minute there, I thought you were Canadian....

kh

ps- Does someone need to look up the definition of "duped?"

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 03-30-2002 at 12:30 AM

Kelly

Re: Red,White and Blue:

OOPS!!

I did not take into account the background and I admit that my graphics skills are lacking,(I can and have taken some lessons from you). That is why I am a computer tech and not a web designer.

As for the title chosen by chambers1517 - I agree that it could be seen as inflammatory and certainly could be seen as being of the "Let's go a coupla rounds" variety.

That said:

I respect your technical knowledge,graphics ability and writing skills.

<Offensive remark deleted by poster>

In any event - There is nothing to be gained from you and I blasting away at each other especially since we agree in almost all important ways regarding our beloved hobby.

I raise the white flag,(presumably invisible against the white background).

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

This message has been edited by lynnm on 03-30-2002 at 05:41 PM

chambers, how much do you want for the premium wire? I've got about 43 feet of the cheapest 18ga you've ever seen that I know you'll just love. I'll swap you even.It's tarnished green,but you already know that won't make any difference.Let me know,and remember I asked first!

Keith

The November 2001 issue of The $ensible Sound magazine deepens the controversy over high-end speaker wires and good quality amps even further. Howard Ferstler reports on his use of a line level comparison box, the QSC Comparator, to compare some super quality Dunlavy cables to 18 AWG lamp cord at the same line level. He made sure that the cables had the exact same levels. Not my emphasis before you flame me. The same line levels. He concluded that statistically speaking there is little meaningful differences in super expensive high-end audiophile wires. "Super wires," he said, " may indeed deliver performance that is audibly different from cheap wire, if the cheap wire is skinny enough and long, and if you use a special test signal and sit right on top of your speakers. However, when it comes to musical content, if the wire is decently thick, "for all intents and purposes, wire is wire."

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!

Hey ,great replies. Tempting offer on the wires and kenmore, but I think Ill try and find one of these golden ear guys and make a trade. I bet I could get a pair of klipschorns for the lascalas and the wire. The scalas and wire probably sounds better anyway. But honestly, this is a great forum. I read it often but rarely respond. The things we debate about, really add a lot to the hobby. Take for instance sports. If everyone liked one team ,the biggest part of the fun would be gone. If everyone had klipsch, who could we impress with our systems. Oh, by the way, I have a 1 year old set of lascalas and some incredibly, open dynamic,speaker cable that I would like to trade for a set of klipschorns.