Just bought an Emotiva UMC-1

wuzzzer

Finally bit the bullet and did it. Looks like I might have to do a firmware update on it but I read through the instructions on Emotiva's website and it doesn't look too difficult to do. Hopefully I'll get it by early next week!

Congrats wuzzzer! I read in the other thread about the deal you took advantage of. Very cool.

I've been saving for a UMC-1 for a bit, selling some gear to get there. There is an XPA-3 close to me for $375 that might mess up those plans!

Once you get settled in, let us know your thoughts on the new processor.

I just sold a vintage watch on eBay last night that went for quite a bit more than I thought it would. I sold some other things recently and the money I made will make up the difference between what I can get for my Marantz and what I paid for the Emotiva and so I thought WHY NOT??

Just thought I'd sound off on this thread, as I have the UMC-1, an XPA-5 and a whole lotta Klipsch hooked up to it.

I started off with a Denon 4306 hooked up to RB-81 fronts, an RC-64 center and RS-62 surrounds. Sounded very nice to my ears, although the bass was lacking. I added a JL Audio Fathom 113 sub and that fixed that problem. Had to turn the sub way up, though, and also had to cross it over really high (like 100Hz) to get decent response across the board.

Then I got an XPA-5 and used that instead of the amplifier section of the Denon. The sound was really harsh until I realized that I had to change the toe-in of the RB-81s a LOT to get the sound right. I also apparently wasn't getting nearly as good of a midrange response from the Denon's amp section, and my ears were adjusting. But the dynamics became spectacular, especially for home theater use. I also was able to cross the sub down to 80 without losing any bass response, so the XPA was pumping out a lot more current.

Next upgrade was to the UMC-1. I got mine a couple months ago, and the difference in sound from the Denon was stark. Not sure how to describe the difference, except that the sound was a lot more refined... a lot less harsh and a lot more expressive at higher frequencies. I could suddenly listen to music for hours on end without getting fatigued. Yes, the UMC-1 is still plagued with little annoyances, but I have faith that Emotiva will get them resolved.

The latest upgrade was from the RB-81s to full Khorns. Megadifference in terms of bass response. I now cross the sub over at 40Hz, mainly because that's as low as the UMC-1 will let me. Bass is also much more natural, and not as chuffy. You feel the bass rather than hear it (for notes in the lowest octaves that is). The combination is a little brighter than the RB-81, so I am looking at getting a tube amp for the Khorns and using the RB-81s for the rear surrounds. Should be interesting to see if I can get all the speakers going in a 20'x20' room!

Anyway, the UMC-1 is worth the upgrade, as was the XPA-5. Good company and great prices.

• Like 1

There is an XPA-3 close to me for $375 that might mess up those plans!

Wow, that is a great price. I would find that difficult to resist. Big Smile

Excuse the slight hijack, BUT.......You are exactly right. I couldn't resist! After delaying my decision for a few days, the seller dropped the price to $350. Crazy price. Purchased it two hours ago with the original box and three Monoprice interconnects. So far it's been hooked up to RB-81s with an HK AVR 525 as a pre, and sounds great! Gotta try it 'round the house.

I emailed Emotiva about the most recent firmware update and gave them the list of my equipment and how they are connected. They replied and said it wasn't necessary for me to do the current firmware update and that I could just wait and do the final update in a few weeks.

I emailed Emotiva about the most recent firmware update and gave them the list of my equipment and how they are connected. They replied and said it wasn't necessary for me to do the current firmware update and that I could just wait and do the final update in a few weeks.

That's good news! You have to admire a company that answers your questions honestly and in a timely manner. Good customer service can't be beat!!

Rivernuggets......Congratulations, that is a great price!!

Dennie

I started off with a Denon 4306

Interesting. I too have the 4306 and almost talked myself into getting the UMC as I was on the pre-order list but the eh, difficulties, going on at the time with the company I bailed. For no reason what-so-ever, I imagined the UPA / XPA amps sounding harsh with my Belles. Again, I had no data or input from others just my fragile little mind.

Have you tried the 4306 as pre/pro with the XPA for a comparison?

Congrats WUZZ,I have been very happy with my UMC.I can't say if you'll have any issues or not. I run my set large, no delays and it works fine.There is little debate about it's outstanding audio quality, function for some is an issue.I'm a music/concert listener and it's the best I've had, good luck.

FedEx says it should be here by Wednesday. I hate waiting!

Oh man, waiting is the hardest part!!!

Keep busy, maybe start cleaning up your wiring or repainting the room or give the dog a bath......... Bottom Line.......Waiting Sucks!!![*-)]

Dennie

• Moderators

Keep busy, maybe start cleaning up your wiring or repainting the room or give the dog a bath......... Bottom Line.......Waiting Sucks!!!Confused

Dennie

Yep that is hard, but it sucks even more if you never even put in the order yet. [:S]

Keep busy, maybe start cleaning up your wiring or repainting the room or give the dog a bath......... Bottom Line.......Waiting Sucks!!!Confused

Dennie

Yep that is hard, but it sucks even more if you never even put in the order yet. Tongue Tied

Well, that's called DREAMING! And I have Big Dreams! [:P] LOL I think it is knowing the date that your dream comes true, is the hard(er) part!

Repave the driveway? Reroof the house? Jack up the house and replace the foundation? These SMALL chores will help pass the time Wuzzzer!

One more day......one more day......one more day......one more day!!!! One Long day!!!

Dennie [:D]