I'm done

wuzzzer

Had a good discussion with my wife the other night. I have come to the realization that I have been spending way too much time upgrading/searching/upgrading/searching for upgrades to our home theater. I do hold out for good deals, so its not like I'm buying everything in sight. Spending a few hours every night looking on craigslist, eBay, audiogon, here, etc. is crazy. Its become an addiction that I need to break myself of.

The last straw was when I just purchased my Emotiva UMC-1. After getting it and setting it up and realizing that despite the fact that it does handle multichannel PCM, it only does so in Direct mode which bypasses bass management and other settings. I immediately found myself looking for a new PS3 slim that can Bitstream HD audio so that I can utilize all the functions of the UMC-1. I took a step back and thought "This has got to stop."

So, once I do find a deal on a PS3 slim I promised my wife that I will not buy anything electronics related through the end of 2011. I did make one exception, and that is if something breaks.

My name is Mark, and I have an upgrade addiction.

It's never done . Go with it ...

I know where you're coming from. I've been happy with every system I've had...until I upgraded to another. I've been selling a lot of my Klipsch but I still have a fair share of speakers in my home I never use and don't need but I too find myself searching Craig's List, ebay, on here, etc for other stuff I don't really need. I passed on the UMC-1 but still long for one. I could go on and on myself but what I think is important is having the means to support whatever habit you have. If its not causing financial problems then I think there are worse ways to spend your money that on Klipsch. I've never really made much, but I've never really lost much either on this strange addiction we all seem to have.

Its not bad to take a break and enjoy what you have though. You've got a nice setup. maybe giving it a year isn't such a bad idea. Enjoy it and maybe in a year from now you'll realize that you've got all you need, or maybe not, but al least you'll know!

what's the deal with the ps3 and the bitstream? i have heard of this before where you need a newer version over the older. couldn't the older pass those signals with an upgrade? i know the ps3 can now do (at least after the updates) 3d games and movies, so why not this?

on the note of the umc, the only thing i was disappointed, well 2 things, is the fact the hdmi is not version 1.4. you will have to ship the unit back to emotiva and pay for it. the other is the fact it doesn't have "All channel stereo." that might not be important to most, but i liked it with my onkyo when i listened to the radio. it would also have been nice for my break in time. the newest upgrade (7.2) for emotiva has that sound format added, but you can't select it at all.

another side note, there is going to be another upgrade just for the DTS issues. for some reason i can't get "DTS HD" or any other DTS sound format. or is that part of the whole HD bitstream?

i know how you feel about the upgrade. it was almost hard to explain to the wife that i wanted to upgrade my crossovers.....AGAIN! i just bit off more than i could chew with all the tweeks and mods plus componet "upgrades" this last time to last me a long time. i don't think i want to go through that again. i also can't see anything i will need anytime soon. i have all the equipement that will fit in my et center, and can't think of another device i could use.

i would, however, love to have an IB sub, well maybe. i will have to hear one first.....lol. about the only thing i would like to have in the near future is a 3D tv. that only is if, there is plenty of media and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

i for some reason like to look at craigslist too for klipsch speaker, even knowing i don't want any more or can even afford them now..... i guess i have issues too.....lol

• Moderators

Hi Mark! Now that you have admitted your problem, that is the first step to recovery. Send me $2300.00 and I'll email you the 12 step program that will change your life forever! [:P]

On a more serious note, It sounds like you have a great relationship with your wife Mark. That's a blessing that no hobby can replace. I think we all understand what you've gone through. As with anything in life, it can become all consuming if we aren't careful. It's difficult to draw the line between a passionate hobby and an obsession.

When I was a teenage boy and was into car audio, it seemed like I was always wanting something more. My youth pastor taught one night on being contempt. Afterwards, I shared with him my story and asked how do I know if I'm not being contempt? He said something that always stuck with me. He told me that it's one thing to have a goal in mind and work towards that goal. If there is an end in sight, that's a good thing. If however, it's just a never ending cycle of wanting more, wanting something better, wanting the latest/greatest, that was when we are considered to not be contempt.

That stuck with me all these years. Now I try to research, ask questions etc. and then make a plan to work towards that goal. Now that my HT is pretty much finished, I don't find myself dying to get to CL. I still look for great deals but don't find scour CL every waking moment like I did.

At the end of the day, I'm reminded that the things of this world are passing away. Sometimes I myself get caught up in the "stuff" that this world has to offer....only to realize that it never truly satisfies me. Only my walk with Jesus does. Blessings to you and your family!

what's the deal with the ps3 and the bitstream? i have heard of this before where you need a newer version over the older. couldn't the older pass those signals with an upgrade? i know the ps3 can now do (at least after the updates) 3d games and movies, so why not this?

All the original 'fat' PS3s can't Bitstream HD audio signals, they can only send multi-channel PCM. Most HDMI receivers can process multi-channel PCM and the end result would be the same as if you were to Bitstream the HD audio to a receiver that can decode TrueHD, etc. The new slim PS3s can Bitstream all of the available audio formats.

I just bought one last night on eBay that was for sale locally. So, that's it for a while.

In the past year I've also been spending too much time searching and searching online. My wife and I went camping this past weekend, and spending time together without a computer around was really a wonderful thing. I'm saving for a new processor, and after puchasing I'll try my best to cool it for a while. I had the same HT setup for 6 years with no changes. I think I can do it again with what I have.

i just got off the phone with SonyStyle for PS3 support. i asked them if the orginal (fat) version can bitstream HD audio. the answer is yes. the guy told me there is no difference between the orgianl (fat) and the new (slim). i have the audio set for bitstream, it use to be until emotiva told me to set it to bitstream. man this is so confusting. my playstation does has the most current software 3.41.

can someone please show me where any tech data states what the the orgianl and new ps3 can or can't do? i hope the tech support guy for sony is right, but right now i guess i want to see it in writing.

if my fat one can't do the job i know i can sell it for profit and get a new for at least free.

btw ..i was talking out of my ***. I can't actually find any current online content to say one way or the other (everything is around 2008 or older). I know that support for the latest HD formats was one of the big selling points of the slim, but that doesn't mean support by the fat model wasn't quietly downplayed to increase sales.

well this breaks my heart, but the fat one has to go! it's sad when another company knows more about another company's product. the good news is since i have the original 20gb (upgraded with a 120gb) HD, i can sell it for more than what a new slim one costs. what sucks though, i have to make a new power cord for it.

i will most likely not post the sale here because i wouldn't think anyone of us would by the outdated version that can't support the audio signals. since i mainly use it for my HT it makes no sense to have it.

well this breaks my heart, but the fat one has to go! it's sad when another company knows more about another company's product. the good news is since i have the original 20gb (upgraded with a 120gb) HD, i can sell it for more than what a new slim one costs. what sucks though, i have to make a new power cord for it.

i will most likely not post the sale here because i wouldn't think anyone of us would by the outdated version that can't support the audio signals. since i mainly use it for my HT it makes no sense to have it.

the slim does not have an integrated power supply anymore, and as such utlizes the smaller electronics plug (like cable boxes). just an fyi..

what were the details provided by emotiva to confirm our theory?

I've been there myself a few times. 1st it was putting together a nice woodworking shop. I changed out the tablesaw (4) times. 1st it was an older Unisaw, then a X5 Unisaw, then a beautiful General TS and finally I restored a 1966 Powermatic Model 66 TS. This is the one I use today. At one point I had 5 table saws in my garage. I can't recall how many times I have bought nice tools only to upgrade it with a better tool within months. It became very addictive to buy and sell on eBay or CL. I found myself scouring craig's list just to find the next deal. When I decided to build a home theater cabinet and system, I found myself doing it again. 1st it was (5) heresy's for my surround system. Now I have a pair of khorns too. The system I am using could easlily be much better. But I'll stick with it for a while. We are all enjoying it. I think what's important is that a person realizes they have an issue and are willing to do something about it. Best to you Mark! Tim

• Moderators

Never hurts to try. You might be surprised. I have no need to "upgrade" to the slim. The fat one sends the PCM to my receiver already decoded. I get all of the HD Audio, I just don't see the Dolby TrueHD and DTS-Master light on my receiver (no biggie). The "fattie" is still a great unit for anyone to buy.

Never hurts to try. You might be surprised. I have no need to "upgrade" to the slim. The fat one sends the PCM to my receiver already decoded. I get all of the HD Audio, I just don't see the Dolby TrueHD and DTS-Master light on my receiver (no biggie). The "fattie" is still a great unit for anyone to buy.

it has nothing to do with the logo.. by sending via pcm and the associated software encoding/processing cycles, you are forcing the ps3 to work harder. if your avr is setup to process that raw bitstream, why not let it? it's no different than getting an external amp in order to offload some of the power requirements from the avr.