Pinging the forum member with new deluxe VRD's

Cornman

Brian, your comments mirror those of other VRD owners. I have never heard a negative comment. One of our forum members recently replaced his stock units with a pair with maxed out upgrades - larger power supply, high end caps, etc. I am hoping to hear a review from him about the differences he has noticed between the two since he owned the originals & now the souped up version.

Cornman

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I have been meaning to write a review, but have very little time to do so at the moment. I will provide an update soon on the subject, but just let me say they are the best sounding amps I have ever had in my system. They do everything well, and are a match made in heaven with the BBX w/Cream, TD-124 and modified Khorns.

I will put something together in the next week or so.

Mike

OK, let's hear about them Craig?

The Piranha man! or is it Tubelover or ect....

Ah I tossed and cheapest used stuff I had lying around and charged Mike extra and he loves them LOL!!

But seriously off the top of my head his amps have upgraded PRP resistors, larger then stock power supply filter storage capacity with film bypass caps, Cardas multi ratio capacitors in the signal path..... That's about all I can possibly do to improve them beyond stock.

Ol' Mike makes everyone envious! I finally got my Khorns modded to be (mostly) like his! I don't think I'd trade my Pcats for his VRDs (great amps they are though, in spades). I never knew the pinochle of amps would be in my cards.

McIntosh 240 is supposed to be one of the best, after I listen to mine, redone by Audio Classics and with all top shelf NOS small tubes, I start to really like it especially the vocals.

Then I switch back to the mostly Stock VRDs and I am blown away by how close the vocals are to the McIntosh but with Bass, and Dynamics that the McIntosh has never Dreamed about.

How much better could the VRD get?

Hey hey!

Posted Image

From the cup is half empty perspective...why did I wait so long?

From the cup is half full perspective...this is great!

Of all the tubes amps in the stable, my VRDs are the one set of amps I would grab if there was a house fire, and our seven year old, dog, and wife were safely out of the house. The Marantz 8B, Citation I, Dynaco MKIIIs, and all the other gear is replaceable.

Of all the tubes amps in the stable, my VRDs
are the one set of amps I would grab if there was a house fire, and our
seven year old, dog, and wife were safely out of the house.

Dave,

You can pick up both of those beasts at the same time?? It'd probably be good to have an emergency little red wagon standing by, maybe as an amp stand...

Hey hey!

From the cup is half empty perspective...why did I wait so long?

From the cup is half full perspective...this is great!

Of all the tubes amps in the stable, my VRDs are the one set of amps I would grab if there was a house fire, and our seven year old, dog, and wife were safely out of the house. The Marantz 8B, Citation I, Dynaco MKIIIs, and all the other gear is replaceable.

Assuming insurance, I would leave the VRDs and grab the Mac vintage gear and the MC30s in particular (oh - and the TUBES). Why? Because I could more easily have Craig build me another set of VRDs.

That said, I agree with all the accolades the VRDs get - absolutely my "reference" amplifiers in every sense. But when it comes to what I pull out of the house in that situation, I would grab what is hardest to replace first (wife>MC30s>tubes) and let insurance take care of the rest of what is replaceable.