Best type of amp for Chorus II speakers

Kubla84

I would like to know what kind of amp would be best to use with my Chorus II speakers, finally going to set up my system after moving into my new house almost 2 years ago.

I was using a hamon kardon 7.1 home theator reciever at the old house but I am not going to set up surround sound here, just 2 channel, I have a Luxman TP-114 preamp tuner that I bought long ago and have never used, still in the box and I have the chassis (no tubes) of an old Citation II power amp that needs a complete rebuild along with all new tubes, not sure what happned to the original tubes, would it be worth restoring that amp?

I do not have the biggest budget to aquire an amp, would like to try a tube amp, I have been told that these speakers sound great with tube amps but that last speakers I heard powered by the citation were my fathers Wharfedale W-90's 20 odd years ago (still have the wharfedales too)

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-383

If you're on a budget and want the warm sounds that a tube amp offers, give some serious consideration to the above-linked amp. I had its smaller brother a while back and it sounded absolutely incredible with my Forte II speakers. I only got rid of the amp because I was moving into surround-sound and wanted more power. The above amp is a huge upgrade in power from the amp I used to have. Give it a try and you will be impressed.

If the HK is setup to take a preamp input, consider using a tube preamp with it. You can see how your system does with the tubes fairly quickly in that manner. One of my systems that i keep on most of the time i am home is a tube pre with a ss power amp and it is addictive to listen to for sure. This setup will most likely be more budget friendly than pursuing a tube amp if you look for a used tube pre. In most cases, if you buy a used tube pre you can sell it pretty close to what you gave for it if the sound just doesn't work for you.

Excluding tubes its a no brainer ~~ Sansui, Sansui and more Sansui ! I use them in two rooms with Chorus II and love the sound. The bass is incredable ! I had Sansui,s in all 4 of my listening rooms until I got introduced to tubes. I have not tried the tubes on the Chorus II yet. You can pick these up for $100 to $400 depending on how much power you want, my favorite is the 8080db,

post-29696-13819616344276_thumb.jpg

post-29696-13819620449334_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
Overall Rating:
5 out of 5
5 out of 5
Impressions with Klipsch La Scalas
Date:December 25, 2010
Technical Knowledge:Amateur
Experience with product:I own it
Value:
5 out of 5
5 out of 5
Performance:
5 out of 5
5 out of 5
Features:
4 out of 5
4 out of 5
A little background - my Klipsch La Scalas are extremely sensitive speakers (spec'd @ 104 dB). They're fully horn-loaded 3-way speakers that I've updated with new crossovers. Until now, my speakers were driven by a rebuilt Eico HF-81 - a well regarded vintage tube amplifier that despite its 14 watt limit could drive my sensitive La Scalas to extreme levels.
I can confirm that Klipsch La Scala speakers and Dayton's DTA-100a Class-T amp are a special combination. As others have said, a diminutive t-amp driving a set of huge Klipsch boxes seems truly absurd. But the music imparted by the DTA-100a Class-T amp is much more than I'd heard from my vintage tube amp. All the music's detail is revealed - nothing is clipped or distorted despite the ear-splitting volumes that can be achieved by DTA-100a with 104dB speakers. I can also verify that the DTA-100a's bass is extremely accurate and tight - much better than had been possible from my Eico tube amp.
I recommend that Klipsch Heritage speaker owners give a Dayton DTA-100a Class-T amp a try - you won't regret your decision.

Here is an excerpt from a post by one of our forum members on a great little amp which would drop ito your system at a very good price. Dan (set12 knows his tube amps and I very much respect his opinion. Hope this is of interest. Best regards Moray James.

We have certainly had a few conversations, a while ago. Speaking for
myself I heard a real sleeper of an amplifier, possibly one of the best
EL34 amplifiers I have ever heard. Antique Sound AQ1003DHT some these
were offered with remote control. The one I had here for repairs was
without one. I swapped out 12AU7's for 12BH7's in its driver stages. The
thing was an EL34 animal of the likes I have never heard and I have
heard a # of EL34 amps and never was a huge fan of EL34's till I heard
this thing. The owner ended up being in a state of shock as much as I
was. But not after hearing it with the 12BH7's which BTW I'm a big fan
of Keggers statement that more often than not IHO the 12BH7 will always
sound substantially better then any 12AU7. I will most certainly concur.
See my blurb on here in keggers thread http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=73090

The amp sold for maybe $1000 new and might be had 5-$600 used. It uses
printed circuit boards but the circuitry is very easy to repair I have a
schematic for it myself. It has very wide bandwidth surprisingly
considering that it only uses the UL taps for some local feedback no
global. The sound is anything but light weight when using 12BH7 driver
tubes. I would liken its authority and ease to a very good KT88
amplifier. Only the EL34's are half the cost of KT88's. My thought was,
who needs KT88's when EL34's can sound this good?

SET12

Overall Rating:
5 out of 5
5 out of 5
Impressions with Klipsch La Scalas
Date:December 25, 2010
Technical Knowledge:Amateur
Experience with product:I own it
Value:
5 out of 5
5 out of 5
Performance:
5 out of 5
5 out of 5
Features:
4 out of 5
4 out of 5
A little background - my Klipsch La Scalas are extremely sensitive speakers (spec'd @ 104 dB). They're fully horn-loaded 3-way speakers that I've updated with new crossovers. Until now, my speakers were driven by a rebuilt Eico HF-81 - a well regarded vintage tube amplifier that despite its 14 watt limit could drive my sensitive La Scalas to extreme levels.
I can confirm that Klipsch La Scala speakers and Dayton's DTA-100a Class-T amp are a special combination. As others have said, a diminutive t-amp driving a set of huge Klipsch boxes seems truly absurd. But the music imparted by the DTA-100a Class-T amp is much more than I'd heard from my vintage tube amp. All the music's detail is revealed - nothing is clipped or distorted despite the ear-splitting volumes that can be achieved by DTA-100a with 104dB speakers. I can also verify that the DTA-100a's bass is extremely accurate and tight - much better than had been possible from my Eico tube amp.
I recommend that Klipsch Heritage speaker owners give a Dayton DTA-100a Class-T amp a try - you won't regret your decision.

Agree I own one of these as my backup amp. I have put my Fortes on it and my Heresey ii's on it and the both sound fantastic. Its worth 100 bucks to give it a try and if you don't like it you can always keep it as a backup. It also makes it easy to take when auditioning future purchases.

I been have trouble deciding what receiver I like best with my chorus II speaker.Any thoughts from other members. the choices are marantz 2325,sansui 9090db,realistic sta 2100, all three have a special sound to them.Does anyone think the dayton amp could sound better than my 3 receivers? I am new to this forum but have been following for some time .

no matter how many responses you may get or who they are from you will never know the answer to your question unles you buy one and try it for yourself. Same with speakers you really need to listen to them to know if they will work for you. So the question is do you think that you could easily sell any one of your three receivers for $100.00? There is a very good probability that yes this little digital amp is better than at least one of your receivers. So buy one and if that is the case sell the receiver you like the least and you will be ahead of the game. If the little digital amp is not as good but close then sell the receiver you like least or which is the oldest and you will have replaced it with a competitant but brand new amp and you will still be ahead. If you can actually afford the $100.00 and you are curious then why are you posting for opinions just get one and then you will know. All of your receivers are very old and the service on any one of them would be more than the cost of this new amp. Ask the vendor if you can return if not 100% happy then all you have to loose is the shipping and it weighs nothing. Think about it make a decission act on that decission. There you go easy as pie. Best regards Moray James.

PS: welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new to you Chorus ll loudspeakers. Those are great speakers and this is a great forum.

I just took a look and they are on sale for $89.00. I love to tweak so here is your first tweak. Upgrade the 24 volt DC supply for one which is regulated and which has the highest current output you can find or afford, this is one situation where bigger is better.

As a minimum figuer two to three times the current of the supply that comes with the amp same voltage of course. You will find that the supply will soon cost more than the amp that`s fine the supply is extreemly important to how the amp will sound. If you can find an old used computer regulated switching supply with more current than the stock one use that as it will be less expensive but likely much larger. Just so you know that you have some cost saving options here. A higher current rated supply will result in a more powerful sense of authority while at the same time the amp will sound much more effortless and relaxed. Have fun. Best regards Moray James.