show us your FORTES / CHORUS speakers

quadklipsh

It really depends on the room in my experience...though the Chorus I and II series voiced the woofer a bit soft, so corner placement is almost necessary to keep the tonal balance even with the mids.

I ran my Chorus II's as you see them here for many years and the only complaint i had was the magnets from the drivers were distorting my television, a set of bucking magnets were ordered from Klipsch and installed, problem solved.

The sets i have had minus the pair shown here ( sold to Silversport ) have never left me with a feeling that i was missing out on something, i have experimented many times over in different households and sources, my newer set is stuffed in a smaller den with corner placement and they sound as good as ever.

Posted Image

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me it all changes for the better. The SPL seems to be higher too. The only way to really know is to try it yourself in your room. Paul Klipsch designed Khorn to fit in the cornter for a reason and recommeded corner placement for a reason. Maybe I'm hearing it because he said it but I don't think so.

DTEL...

i get the impression that the chorus II , which im very much having a crush at , these days , have so big woofers that when a rhythmic beat comes along, the big drivers take more time to move back and forth to make a sound ,than the 8 inch dual drivers of the RF series . the chorus woofers thus may tend to be missing out subtle notes and detail from the given music.which the others ,who are thus, faster, maybe good at reproducing . is that a fact .does that make these big ole extended heritage speakers less detailed sounding as opposed to various other newer klipsch ????

also , is my question understandable to you .

There are two systems in the photo, HT and 2ch.

The HT system has a Denon 2808ci pushing Definitive Technologies Studio Monitor 350s to the L/R of the panel and a Def Tech Procinema 2000 center. Off to the far sides are tiny Procinema 600s and a Def Tech Supercube III sub in a corner. It's nice - and even though it's not setup in proper surround fashion it fits the room well. I really like the sound of Def Tech stuff and feel it's high-value for the dollar. There is an old-skool Xbox in there as well as a Wii behind the panel, together which basically collect dust.

I've been moving stuff around lately, so also behind the panel is my Mac Mini which I use as an HT PC (mostly web surfin' and iNet music streams) and a music server for my 2 ch gear. It feeds a Benchmark USB DAC which enters a Blueberry Xtreme, then a pair of pCAT tube amps and finally the Forte IIs. I've put Bob Crites x-overs and tweeter diaphragms in them and they sound really nice. The bass isn't quite as present as I'd like but my placement is the primary culprit there though I've yet to experiment with tubes.

There is an Oppo BDP-83 in there, a Monster line conditioner for some items, a cable box and an old Panasonic PVR, the likes of which you can't buy anymore - squashed by The Man as it were.

Here's the pisser though... my local Audio shop carries Paradigm loudspeakers. The big monoliths are VERY impressive but so are the prices. From a distance, however, I've always loved the voicing of the their smaller offerings, like the Studio 20s. Quite remarkable the sound that comes from those little boxes. So the resident Gear Guru, who's become something of a friend, sez to me, "I've got a demo pair of Studio 40s you can take home for a song, demo... and return if you don't like them." Ohhhh he's a sneaker bugger. Right to the soft underbelly. Plugged 'em into my tube setup and while I liked what I heard it didn't have the dynamics, the presence they had in the showroom. So I pulled out some old Adcom gear and sure enough - they're sand amp speakers. Woke them right up. And it's just the little 535 60 watter. I wanna' say they were runnin' a 200 watt Anthem into them at the shop.

So now I'm stuck. The responsible thing to do is to return the Studio 40s, sniff a tear as I look back, exit the building and be done with it. If I keep them, I'm only going to spend MORE money on better chip amps (maybe a pair of those Emotiva UPA-1s) and possibly a different chip preamp. THEN, what do I do with the Fortes and Juicy Music gear? I'd be knob to sell it and I'm already warehousing a pair of KG4s and Heresys.

I gotta' stay outta' that damn store. I know better.

• 2 weeks later...

DTEL...

i get the impression that the chorus II , which im very much having a crush at , these days , have so big woofers that when a rhythmic beat comes along, the big drivers take more time to move back and forth to make a sound ,than the 8 inch dual drivers of the RF series . the chorus woofers thus may tend to be missing out subtle notes and detail from the given music.which the others ,who are thus, faster, maybe good at reproducing . is that a fact .does that make these big ole extended heritage speakers less detailed sounding as opposed to various other newer klipsch ????

also , is my question understandable to you .

I think that this impression, while well thought out, would not bear fruition:

Remember that your RF3's - even though they sport three drivers - are missing the midrange of the Chorus II.... not having to reproduce the mids allows for that big old woofer to concentrate on its task of reproducing the (in the case of the Chorus) 600 Hz and below, which it does most sexily, as those who own them will attest to. (That big 15" passive helps out with the lowest octave more than some people realize).

And the midrange, picking up the largest percentage of sound, is even sexier. The RF series sound very detailed to me, I will admit, but there is an accuracy, and large soundstage, and natural "live" sound, that the older models reproduce that I cannot find in anything else made in the past decade or two...

Your problem, like mine, is that there is very little opportunity to listen and audition a model that has not been produced for roughly 15 years... you have to either trust in what those of us on the forum claim, or find someone nearby to give you a listen. I did not hear Klipschorns until about 5 years ago, and the sound has haunted me ever since. The most accurate reproduction of actual instruments that I have ever heard, bar none...

• 2 months later...

imgl3639a.jpgimgl3639a.jpgBack in 1991 after returning from Iraq/Kuwait in Operation Desert storm to my unit in Germany, I found a PX in Hanau Germany clearancing their Chorus II speakers. I got the last 2 new in box Chorus II for 800.00 which was a great price back then. They were manufactured in sequence with final assembly date in Aug 1990. I have had many Klipsch speakers and subs but these remained in my possession all this time. I just gave my KG4 set to my brother last week. I had Tangents and KG1 and bottom throw sub, etc but nothing to compare with these. These also remained as several sets of Bose came and went, including 901. Nothing compares to Chorus II in all that I have experienced.

imgl3639a.jpg