personal check !?

deluss

i have a member who would like to purchase an item off of me. I have only ever done paypal ro something along those lines.

Do people normally except personal checks?

have people had problems after accepting this Even though i wouldnt ship until after the check is cleared

As long as the buyer didn't mind waiting 2 weeks I'd accept a personal check. Unless it was a reputable forum member then I wouldn't make them wait as long.

I agree... Having the check clear is the key... after that you should experience no problems.

There is really no limit to when a bank can decide a check "hasn't cleared" ! Just ask any of the guys scammed on the overseas send back the extra money in the check. Some of those didn't come up bad for a couple of months and the banks still get their money.

If I sell something to a forum member and they send me a personal check I do two things. Deposit the check and ship the item, end of story. I haven't gotten a bad check yet!

I tend to agree with JL. In fact, I've even had some items bought from me on Ebay and shipped them out PRIOR to receiving any payment. These were to total strangers, not even forum members. I knew it was putting myself at risk but I had talked or emailed with them at least once prior.... and I'm a trusting sort who prefers the ignorance of thinking everyone is honest verses reality.

Don't do what I do lol.... it's pretty stupid.

[:$]

In GOD we trust, all others pay cash in advance.

If you don't get yourself in a situation where you can get screwed you won't be ripped off.

Now that's just not true. If you trade you WILL get ripped off eventually, period. Not to mention paying taxes, heath care, etc.

One time I bought a $100 Kitchenaid blender on Ebay. Upon delivery I opened the box to find a "White Westinghouse" model valued at $19.99. I promply boxed it back up, shipped it back to seller with a nice note attached. A few weeks later I got a personal check for the purchase amount. They ALMOST ripped me off.[;)]