Canyonman's system, very nice!

JHoman

Well this last weekend my wife and I went to New Orleans, I had arranged to meet Jay and get a reel to reel from him while we were there. It was great to meet another forum member and get to see and listen to his system. Jay & his wife was great and very hospitable. Jay gave me the opportunity to listen to his system sitting in the "sweet spot"! All I can say is wow, very nice, super clean sound and a joy to listen to at any level, but most of all it was great to see and hear how well a system can work together if you are willing to work at all the little details. Jay has a super sounding system and it is beautiful.

I got to listen to some of his "Tape Project" recordings, what a joy, it was as if the artist was sitting in the room playing for us! If you ever get the chance to hear one of these recordings, take the time to listen and enjoy it!

Thanks Jay for everything, oh, & I am enjoying my new Sony TC-765 reel to reel!

Jay sent me a CD burnt on a basic Sony burner of one of those tapes. It was extraordinary, better than 98% of the commercial CD's. I'm not surprised he has a system to match his matchless taste.

I have a near perfect T765...except the holdback tension is badly screwed. It's electronic and I am clueless as to how to adjust it. I just put a rule with felt on it to produce drag with a weight on it. Very crude and a nuisance. Travis (DWILawyer) seems to have dropped out. I figure he might have been able to help.

Dave

Well this last weekend my wife and I went to New Orleans, I had arranged to meet Jay and get a reel to reel from him while we were there. It was great to meet another forum member and get to see and listen to his system. Jay & his wife was great and very hospitable. Jay gave me the opportunity to listen to his system sitting in the "sweet spot"! All I can say is wow, very nice, super clean sound and a joy to listen to at any level, but most of all it was great to see and hear how well a system can work together if you are willing to work at all the little details. Jay has a super sounding system and it is beautiful.

I got to listen to some of his "Tape Project" recordings, what a joy, it was as if the artist was sitting in the room playing for us! If you ever get the chance to hear one of these recordings, take the time to listen and enjoy it!

Hey Jeff,

Thanks so much for all the kind words, and you and yours are welcome back anytime your in town. It was a real pleasure meeting you and your wife, and talking shop with you; enjoy the R2R and have fun.

Jay

Jay sent me a CD burnt on a basic Sony burner of one of those tapes. It was extraordinary, better than 98% of the commercial CD's. I'm not surprised he has a system to match his matchless taste.

I have a near perfect T765...except the holdback tension is badly screwed. It's electronic and I am clueless as to how to adjust it. I just put a rule with felt on it to produce drag with a weight on it. Very crude and a nuisance. Travis (DWILawyer) seems to have dropped out. I figure he might have been able to help.

Dave

Hey Dave,

How are you? I hope you are well and everything is good, BTW I have a copy of Jimmy Smith's (The Sermon) coming soon on one of those tapes. I know you are a big fan of organ music so I may make a copy for you to listen to.

Jay

I need to get back to Jay's joint and have a listen since he upgraded the horns. It was fantastic before the upgrade!

Hi Evan,

You are welcome to come back and check out the upgrades, also upgraded the amp and a couple other things since your last visit!!! Just let me know when your going to be in town, you do want to hear these tapes at all cost!!!

Jay

How are you? I hope you are well and everything is good, BTW I have a copy of Jimmy Smith's (The Sermon) coming soon on one of those tapes. I know you are a big fan of organ music so I may make a copy for you to listen to.

Jay

OOOOoooo... Ol' buddy ol' pal. [:D]

I am wet with anticipation. The Atkins material was extraordinary, even though it's not the kind of thing I'd go out and buy. I listen to it pretty often and play it for visitor as the technical quality is so outstanding.

Dave

Always glad to see another forum member that still has a good reel to reel in their system....

Always glad to see another forum member that still has a good reel to reel in their system....
Hey Boxx

I agree I wish more members would get into tape, it is an awesome way to really hear music!!!

Jay

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Dave

I'm here, how can I help?

Travis

Dave

Dave,

Give Tom at Westbank Audio a call at 504-367-1804 he may be able to shed some light.

Jay

Hey Travis! Long time... Thanks to Jay for the phone number for Tom at Westbank as a backup.

Travis, I have a Sony TC-765 I got a couple of years back for 25.00 that's in great shape except for holdback tension on the supply side. It's electronic and I am clueless as to how it works. Any thoughts? I could open it up and send some high res closeups if it would help.

As to Tom, I'd love to get an email address for him. My thinking was he could charge me what he thought fair for telling me what to do. If I was unsuccessful, then I'd get an estimate both for the work and for a checkout. Shipping would be a pain, but it would be nice to have a pro provide a thorough check on it. OTOH, my own ears and RR experience suggest that holdback tension thing is about the only problem.

Dave

PS-I kept looking for a response in the the other thread. Glad I checked back in here.

• Moderators

I have a Sony TC-765 I got a couple of years back for 25.00 that's in great shape except for holdback tension on the supply side. It's electronic and I am clueless as to how it works. Any thoughts?

That is a real easy fix on that unit as I recall. It is a POT adjustment, and is set with a volt meter, you may not even need a tensionometer, which is great if you can avoid, becasue they are impossible to come by. I take it you don't have the service manual for that unit? If not, let me see if I can find you one on PDF to send you.

Travis

That is a real easy fix on that unit as I recall. It is a POT adjustment, and is set with a volt meter, you may not even need a tensionometer, which is great if you can avoid, becasue they are impossible to come by. I take it you don't have the service manual for that unit? If not, let me see if I can find you one on PDF to send you.

Outstanding! Voltmeter I got, and I'll judge success by "feel."

No, I have no idea where to get the SM on this...

Dave

It's public, but for convenience: damallette@mallette.org .

Wooo... Looking forward to getting that thing to 100%. Been a pain having to place a weighted object with felt under it to listen. Travis sent me a theatre organ tape a year or so ago that is AWESOME and I picked up a couple of nice tapes on ebay, but it's a dang nuisance trying to get the holdback tension right manually.

Still have a number of old tapes to digitize as well. I may well sell it once I have completed digitization of my old collection to 1 bit, 2.8mhz. Dunno...love looking at it. OTOH, looking at a reel to reel is like listening about a painting, I guess. Needs to get used.

Dave