Music is my dope

jdm56

I originally attributed calling vinyl Black Heroin to Dennie but it looks like it was really PMSummer, the KING of record collections, who first referredt to "Used Records" as black heroin. after Dennid had picked up a few (43).

And once again setting off the alarm in the Drug Czar's computers. Anybody notice the black vans? Tongue Tied

There are times, when all hope is lost, I'm willing to share needles.... in order to achieve the best result...

You my Friend, are a Hardcore Music-o-phile, if I've ever seen one! Cool

Keep up the great work,

Dennie

Thanks Dennie... We are all sort of a "Band of Music" brothers....

Why isn't everyone a bebop-o-phile? It boggles the imagination why the best music ever invented isn't loved by all. Maybe the world is simply full of opinion-o-philes.

Exactly - why isn't everyone a prog-o-file? It truely does boggle the imagination why the best music ever invented isn't loved by all! Wink

Yeah I know. I dabble in prog myself. I think maybe classical is a gateway music.

Believe me, I've listened to my fair share of classical (and in fact that is one of the big reasons why I like the particular genre that I listen to so much - amazing how some of these bands combine classical stylings with some of the prog metal).

I think you hit it on the nail - Classical is definitly gateway music! [8][H]

• Moderators

I doubt ALL musicians are on dope but I would bet ALL the people mixing the sound are !

It sounds like it...........little or no talent + deaf and dumb doing the mixing and producing only thinking about $ and you get todays music.

And they think it's piracy lowering sales ! [*-)]

I doubt ALL musicians are on dope but I would bet ALL the people mixing the sound are !

It sounds like it...........little or no talent + deaf and dumb doing the mixing and producing only thinking about $ and you get todays music.

And they think it's piracy lowering sales ! Confused

exactly! +1 10-4 etc....

Yup...money-driven dopes at the wheel in the recording world; in the radio world and in the retailing world. no wonder the music bidness is in the ditch. nothing wrong with making a buck, for sure, but back in the old days a lot of the people in the music bidness were there for the love of the music. not so sure that's the case today...[:(]

Yup...money-driven dopes at the wheel in the recording world; in the radio world and in the retailing world. no wonder the music bidness is in the ditch. nothing wrong with making a buck, for sure, but back in the old days a lot of the people in the music bidness were there for the love of the music. not so sure that's the case today...Sad

That is certainly the case within the mainstream realm. However, get away from the mainstream and start diggin into the small, independent artists, and labels in the underground scene, and you will see that the love of music is still very real and alive.

Case in point, take a band I am certain nobody on here really knows about - Silent Lapse. As quoted directly from thier website:

Free Album

Our album is now FREE and can be downloaded instantly here, shipped to you by clicking here,
or by visiting the Discography and Merch pages! There will be a $2.63
charge to cover shipping and shipping materials if you choose to have a
CD sent to you.

We love this album and really believe
in it. We don't want a $10 charge to stand in the way of you hearing an
album that we think is one of the best!

Need more convincing? Please read our 9/10 review on The Metal Observer here: Birthright Review.

I've went and checked this album out! I am actually amazed that they are giving this away, as it really is an excellent album. I bet they are probably making more money off of people donating than if they just outright sold the thing, although that was not thier intent.

Another personal experience. I sponsor bands for the ProgPower music festival. When I first met the band, DGM, that I sponsored for this past event, they basically mobbed me hugs, hand-shakes, and "I'm Not Worthy" bows. I was taken aback by that. Throughout the whole weekend, they basically treated me like royality! Turned out playing the states and especially this fest, was a huge dream for these guys. When they got to meet the guy that basically made it possible for them, I can understand their excitment. And yes, they put on one killer of set there!

It is exactly reasons such as those above why I pretty much ignored the mainstream for the most part and prefer to support the underground power/prog metal scene. These are artists that still care about the music and fully appreciates the fans as well. And believe me, it shows in the music. Really is quite refreshing when I can buy an album from one of these guys and listen to it from beginning to and and love every note of it. The quality and musicianship really shows.

I'm 51. When I was a kid I was the geek with the transistor radio under the covers when I was supposed to be sleeping. Cream, CREEDENCE, The Who, CSNY, Zep, Stones, and as much as I hate to admit it, top 40 trash. My musical tastes evolved as I grew older and became exposed to more and more music.

When I got my first job at 15 I bought a Kenwood amp, a Dual TT and a pair of Bozak speaks. Since then music has been a huge and constant part of my life. Other hobbies have come and gone, but my stereo(s) still take center stage. In fact, the older I get the more important they are.

It's pretty surreal to just sit there and get goose bumps over something that comes in through holes in your head!

I'm 51. When I was a kid I was the geek with the transistor radio under the covers when I was supposed to be sleeping. Cream, CREEDENCE, The Who, CSNY, Zep, Stones, and as much as I hate to admit it, top 40 trash. My musical tastes evolved as I grew older and became exposed to more and more music.

When I got my first job at 15 I bought a Kenwood amp, a Dual TT and a pair of Bozak speaks. Since then music has been a huge and constant part of my life. Other hobbies have come and gone, but my stereo(s) still take center stage. In fact, the older I get the more important they are.

It's pretty surreal to just sit there and get goose bumps over something that comes in through holes in your head!

i started to just say "ditto". i had a duel 1229 turntable, speakers were wharfedale, i don't remember the amp i had at the time, rest is exactly the same....even the age....

Hmm...I see all these references to benzos and opiates, but to me the best analogy is to psychedelics. Music is spiritual/magical/soulful/inspiring/transcendant/liberating. Benzos and opiates are great for analgesia and sedation, but their 'warm fuzzy glow' is pure junk; they are stupor drugs.

....many recant experiences under it's influence akin to religious experiences

Losing my parents and being orphaned at 10 years old I found music to be my saving grace in what I thought was a world gone mad. From that time on I always found safety and solice in music and of all types and genre's. I have had 4 major (Decent) systems in my 54 years and it has always been the music that has been the most important to me as it is my history in bits and pieces through time.

There is also some kinds or piece's of music that are perfect for any occasion. I have been so lucky to have music to guide me and help me overcome the feeling of being overwhelmed so many times I have just wanted to send a letter to the composer/musician and personally thank them!

Music is and always will be my favorite art form[8] Spin one up and take a trip to some place in time whether it be yesterday or years ago[:D]

We are sooo much alike, although I turn 55 next week. I was caught under the covers with Cream, too. Plus, the older I got, the more I exposed myself (with music, of course).

• Moderators

Losing my parents and being orphaned at 10 years old I found music to be my saving grace in what I thought was a world gone mad. From that time on I always found safety and solice in music and of all types and genre's

Your a good man Kaiser, that could have gone in a much worse direction.

....many recant experiences under it's influence akin to religious experiences

Losing my parents and being orphaned at 10 years old I found music to be my saving grace in what I thought was a world gone mad. From that time on I always found safety and solice in music and of all types and genre's. I have had 4 major (Decent) systems in my 54 years and it has always been the music that has been the most important to me as it is my history in bits and pieces through time.

There is also some kinds or piece's of music that are perfect for any occasion. I have been so lucky to have music to guide me and help me overcome the feeling of being overwhelmed so many times I have just wanted to send a letter to the composer/musician and personally thank them!

Music is and always will be my favorite art formMusic Spin one up and take a trip to some place in time whether it be yesterday or years agoBig Smile

Amen! Brothers Audible and Kaiser. Amen!

Music is and always will be my favorite art formMusic Spin one up and take a trip to some place in time whether it be yesterday or years agoBig Smile

Sad you lost your parents at 10 (I am thankful I still have both of mine even at 40).

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean with the above. In my particular case, I have actually personally thanked many of these musicians that I typically listen to. In person! Face-to-face! The cool thing is that almost to a T, they tend to be humble and actually thank me back for having taken the time to listen to it and actually appreciating it. Many of these guys in the small, underground scene are actually afraid of the old "if nobody's listening to it, then why bother creating it" syndrome, so they really like it when somebody actually came up to them and personally thanked them for the music they created and encourage them to continue to create more. They love creating the music so much as an artform that they really want people to listen to and enjoy it, even it if means giving away the albums, ala Silent Lapse (which, BTW, after posting that above, I actually got a PM/e-mail from one of the members of the band for thanking me for mentioning them in the forum here!).

Heck, Look what happened when I believe it was Dennie posted one of Ava Lemert's albums in the "Right This Minute" thread. The artist actually took the time to create and publicly post a message indicating how cool it was to see people actually listening to and enjoying her work. Granted, her material is not my cup of tea, but I did find the album in question on eMusic and gave it a listen myself. I'll admit that I was quite impressed with what I heard and she has every right to be proud of what she accomplished there.

So it goes to show that you just don't know who may actually be reading these forums! As an aside, as opinionated as I am with regards to the sorry state of most of the current mainstream music, I will not disparage any particular artist on the public forum, nor anybody's choice in music they may be listening to (even though I may personally think that particular recordng/artist actually sucks, but I won't dare say so in the forum)

Of all the things that I could do with my time, between watching TV, playing video games, etc, I find myself just prefering to listen to music (as well as take advantage of the outdoors when the weather is nice otherwise). Music will always be my favorite artform as well.

Yes, continue to spin those records and enjoy listening to it, regardless what the genre may be. Heck, it may be worth it to dash off a letter to the compose/artist to personally thank them if you really liked their work. You may just be surprised at the response you may get. You can typically find some way to contact them through the artist's website, especially if they are a smaller artist that will actually take the time to personally respond to the e-mail. I've done it on several occasions myself.