is Chorus II , Lousy, compared to .... Ref ???

quadklipsh

The speed of the drivers depends on the quality of your amplification, primarily its dampening factor (ability to start and stop the woofer).

Garbage in = Garbage out

Speakers don't hiss your amplifier does, get one with a superior S/N ratio 110db or better. Same goes for you source don't expect high fidelity when you play a CD through a $100 DVD player.

A home theater receiver regardless of brand is NOT quality amplification by any means, unless you get into the very large dollar versions.

Old receivers aren't much better unless they have been cleaned, serviced, re-capped and re-biased.

The speed of the drivers depends on the quality of your amplification, primarily its dampening factor (ability to start and stop the woofer).

Garbage in = Garbage out

Speakers don't hiss your amplifier does, get one with a superior S/N ratio 110db or better. Same goes for you source don't expect high fidelity when you play a CD through a $100 DVD player.

A home theater receiver regardless of brand is NOT quality amplification by any means, unless you get into the very large dollar versions.

Old receivers aren't much better unless they have been cleaned, serviced, re-capped and re-biased.

Agreed. [:D]

Sorry if I'm not keeping up with the thread...

i just had a listen to the mighty chorus IIs . upon various recorded cds my impression was that the chorus II ,have such big woofers , that they might be taking more time to go back and forth when delivering a beat or a note ....such delays may be causing it to sound less than accurate and it may even be missing out a few notes and details from the given music .

It may be what you hear, but that's not why you hear it. A bigger woofer needs to move less than a smaller one for the same volume displacement. Since it does it in the same amount of time (determined by the frequency of the tone being reproduced), it is actually moving more slowly than a smaller driver. And if it took more time to go back and forth, then it would change the frequency to something lower; that would be a feat!

does this theory also explain
the softness of the heritage series ????

Yes, Klipschorns sound like crap because of the slow woofers that can't keep up with the music. [;)]

(That was sarcasm in case anyone misses it.)

FWIW, I just had both a pair of RF-82s and Chorus I's and Chorus II's in my home for a shoot out. The RF-82s, IMHO, weren't even in the same ballpark as the Chorus. In fact, I far prefer the RF-7s to the 82's. The 82s just sounded like a lot of the newer 'hi-fi' sounding stuff; maybe more accurate but uninvolving. I think the RF's are more 'WAF-friendly and personally think that is the only reason they sell.

One of your better questions. I would interpret it to mean emotionally engaging as opposed to dry and clinical but that is still very subjective. You could draw an analogy to the sound of vinyl versus a cd, but even that falls short of imparting universally understood terms since experiential parameters vary from one individual to another.

hmmmmm.......clinical is a good term. makes you feel dry and straight forward . apne kaam se kaam rakhne wala(who minds his own business) [;)]..

the cerametallic drivers tend to sound more clinical , isnt so , oldtimer?than the synergy or the legend and the KG series (all having those black drivers)

i have a cousin who owns KG point 5. they are such sweet sounding .....my jaw simply dropped on to the floor , when i first listened to em ......despite a smaller driver they were way more loveable and enjoyable than a pair of SB-3s .

but thats just our perception ,me and my three friends and that cousin , i mean .

sorry for going off track ...just a slip of mind [;)]

QuadK,

I just caught up on this thread.......

If I am reading the beginning right; your peers were not so impressed with the Chorus IIs?

Why not get them and compare to your RF3s; then sell the loser? (Doubt you will lose much money reselling).

Based on room dynamics and amplification; they may have sounded pretty bad; if set up improperly.

Remember that "garbage in = garbage out" saying. It is true.

Good Luck; I hope you find the musical bliss you have been longing for..... [;)]

could somebody define involving sound ?Smile

I think Oldtimer nailed it.

I will add that "involving" sound draws you in; emotionally; even making you lose track of other things or even other senses.... If I am listening to something "involving" (on my Heresies); 1 hour can pass and I would not realize it because I am submerged in the music. This happens to me quite frequently; btw. [H]

ironsave,

you are right ,lemmi tell you the room dimnsions , the guy has em in a room that is rectangular , perhaps 12 x30 feet , chorus IIs mounted up on 2 feet stands , and placed in the corners ,6 inches or so from the rear wall , throwing their sound length wise, in the room .

used is an onkyo , dts , thin sounding amp to me . perhaps 100 watts/ch , 2009 model . i cud post its piccha